Author Topic: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita  (Read 11220 times)

kazekirifx

Re: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »
One thing, and you may not have encountered it yet. How does the game perform with lots of action/enemies on screen? MoC was pretty laggy in my experience and it somewhat detracted from an otherwise pretty fun experience.

I haven't noticed anything major, and nothing has detracted from my enjoyment of the game at all. The graphics, while a lot better than previous Ys games, are still not anything too impressive when compared to most modern games. Very simple models and the aliasing on the polygons is pretty bad. It is a Vita game too, so you might want to wait for the PS4 version if you're worried about frame rate and resolution. Me, I actually wanted the PS4 version, but couldn't wait till next year to play it, so got the Vita version for now. I'll consider whether or not to get the PS4 version as well when it comes out.

I want cfw for my PSTV so I can play PSP ISOs.  I'd gladly buy a second one for that, keeping my current one updated for Vita games.

I had a regular Vita and a Japanese Vita TV. I'm keeping the Vita TV on lower firmware so I can use the whitelist hack. What I did in order to play Ys VIII on my TV is buy a U.S. PSTV. They are dirt cheap. So, now I own a total of three Vitas in all. :) Strange since I only own like 10 games.

I found it meh, didn't really find anything I liked, but there it goes for others to check out.

To be honest, I am starting to feel a bit "meh" about the soundtrack now as well. It's nice, but I haven't heard any tracks yet that stylistically really scream "Ys!!!" to me. VI and Seven did a better job trying to emulate the trademark Ys sound... though I felt like VI almost tried too hard at times... almost to the point of sounding like a parody of Ys music (though it is still a very good soundtrack). Seven struck a pretty good balance between sounding both old and new to me. I'd really like to hear some more "Ys worship" in the VII soundtrack, and am still hoping it will be present in some of the later tracks I haven't heard yet.

Gypsy

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 01:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I was able to finish MoC but I definitely noticed some big slowdown issues. I definitely don't care about the graphics compared to western PC games and such, I really just want it to perform well because it's an action oriented game. Like you say, I may be better off waiting for the PS4 version which could definitely perform better.

Edit: It should be known that Ys is one of my favourite gaming series of all time. It and Yakuza really as far as Japanese made series go.  :o

Heh, I have 2 PSTVs as well. They are really cheap so I couldn't resist. Hell when the bundled one ran on sale and I sold off the extra controller and game code it was practically free.  :)

xelement5x

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
Wowsers!

Looks like NISA is bringing over Lacrimosa of Dana:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/17/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-comes-west/

They just announced it a bit ago.  Pretty crazy, sounds like Marvelous/XSEED is more interested in doing boobie games than anything else now.

EDIT:
They are already up for preorder too:
http://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps-vita

http://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps4

$80 for Vita and $100 for PS4, though the contents of the LEs look the same excepting the game itself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:35:54 PM by xelement5x »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TR0N

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Wowsers!

Looks like NISA is bringing over Lacrimosa of Dana:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/17/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-comes-west/

They just announced it a bit ago.  Pretty crazy, sounds like Marvelous/XSEED is more interested in doing boobie games than anything else now.

EDIT:
They are already up for preorder too:
http://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps-vita

http://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps4

$80 for Vita and $100 for PS4, though the contents of the LEs look the same excepting the game itself.

Great i don't have a problem with nisa localizing the game for na.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Johnpv

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
I pre-ordered the PS4 version myself. 

Supposedly Xseed is upset they lost this, and it was totally a Falcom decision to go with NISA.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 02:52:08 AM »
Woot!  I don't care who does it; I'm just happy it's gonna get a physical release.

I assume xseed lost it because they wouldn't commit to physical releases and/or a timeline Falcom liked.  Whatever the reason, Nightwolve should be pleased.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

seieienbu

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »
Definitely looking forward to purchasing this.  The only other PS4 game I play is Street Fighter 5.  Finally another reason to play the blasted thing.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Woot!  I don't care who does it; I'm just happy it's gonna get a physical release.

I assume xseed lost it because they wouldn't commit to physical releases and/or a timeline Falcom liked.  Whatever the reason, Nightwolve should be pleased.  :mrgreen:

Hell yeah. I'm placing a pre-order for the Vita version on Amazon right now. I can't remember the last time I gave a shit about something NISA released. Maybe Disgaea 5 which is still sitting sealed since I haven't bought a PS4 yet.

I've been going through MoC again. The hype is real or something. This game looks damn good.

As far as XSeed... I'm intrigued to know the details but I'd bet it would be a long time before that info comes out if it ever does. If it's because they wouldn't commit to a physical release for freaking Ys they can eat a bag. The timeline thing wouldn't surprise me either, it has taken them a really long time to push out games before. And I get that Trails games are text heavy but still.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
Ooo, nice.  I hadn't thought to look at Amazon.  $80 seems awfully steep for the LE, so $40 on just the game sounds better.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gypsy

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »
I think it just got posted to Amazon today. Prime discount isn't applying yet. I'll buy it either way, but it would be nice if it were $8 cheaper.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
Anyone know if the LE versions will only be available thru NIS, or is there a chance to get them on Amazon at some point?

xelement5x

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »
Anyone know if the LE versions will only be available thru NIS, or is there a chance to get them on Amazon at some point?

Yeah, normally they have done regular version, limited version, and then NISA Store version (which is limited + something extra).  But, it doesn't say the LE is exclusive to their store so maybe other retailers will carry it.

My guess is it would be a NISA store exclusive though, it sounds like they probably wanna keep all the cash on this one and not offer the 20% discount through amazon on the like to devalue it.  I'd love to be proven wrong though.  Still plenty of stock on both though so I plan on waiting for a bit to see what shows up.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

bartre

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
Yeah, normally they have done regular version, limited version, and then NISA Store version (which is limited + something extra).  But, it doesn't say the LE is exclusive to their store so maybe other retailers will carry it.

My guess is it would be a NISA store exclusive though, it sounds like they probably wanna keep all the cash on this one and not offer the 20% discount through amazon on the like to devalue it.  I'd love to be proven wrong though.  Still plenty of stock on both though so I plan on waiting for a bit to see what shows up.

I'm actually debating canning my LE preorder in favor of the regular edition.

$40 extra is pretty steep, I'm beginning to think that if i want an art book, i should just buy a straight art book, y'know?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
I pre-ordered the regular-ass edition. The special edition doesn't have anything I'd spend a total of maybe 2 or 3 minutes of my life looking at. The soundtrack isn't even the full soundtrack. Plus, I already have the full 2 disc soundtrack. Kind of mediocre for an Ys game, actually. Hopefully it will grow on me as I play the game.

Gypsy

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2017, 02:54:34 AM »
The prime discount is now working correctly so I actually went and place my order for the Vita version. $35 including tax, not bad at all.

I was tempted by the LE but ultimately reached the same conclusion Joe did. It's just so much extra shit I'd have to file away. The main draw for me would be if that 2nd book is like a mini-guide (appears to be) which could be helpful but really it's kind of hard to get stuck in newer Ys games. If the LE does go on Amazon I'll likely get tempted again though.