Author Topic: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita  (Read 11099 times)

Johnpv

Re: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
Those are pretty awesome.

xelement5x

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
New trailer!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TR0N

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
New trailer!

! No longer available

Looks like adol fall off the boat again  :lol: :?: :!:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
Overall the artwork is fine, but they sure have some weird noses.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 03:35:58 AM »
What about the ps4 development?  Is it still slated for a fall release on ps4?

Johnpv

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 06:17:31 AM »
I do believe the PS4 version has been delayed till around this time next year.

kazekirifx

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
Just received the Vita version yesterday, the day before the release date (directly shipped from Falcom to my address in Tokyo). Initial impressions:

Overall very good and engaging game so far. Game engine has been revamped, and the graphics are much improved over "Memories of Celceta". You can move the camera freely now like in any modern 3D game. Gameplay is still very similar to Memories and Ys Seven, though you now have both dash and jump. Gameplay is 3-character party again, with certain enemies being weak against one of the three characters' attacks. Still lots of crap to pick up on the fields, though I think they improved it a bit by not making the enemy carcasses remain so that you have to hit them again to get more crap like in Memories. (I found that a bit tedious.)

Speaking of crap to collect, they added "fishing" and "cooking" to the game. These are basically two ideas taken directly from their Legend of Heroes series. A bulletin board with optional quests on it is also back again. It's amazing how much Falcom repeats themselves (but we love them for it).

Somewhat new to the series, though, is the layout of the world and progression. You have a hub town that you keep returning to. You find other survivors who were shipwrecked along with Adol at the beginning of the game, and you return them to the hub town which gradually grows as you progress the game. You also gain the ability to access areas you passed by earlier in order to progress the game, so you end up retracing your steps a lot. Luckily, fast travel is unlocked very early in the game.

The music is pretty good so far, at least for the main fields and bosses. One big nitpick for me is that the music during the intro animation is slow and melodramatic instead of rocking. (I mean, come on, this is supposed to be an Ys game, right?)

During the important story bits, the characters are fully voiced. Adol is mostly silent, again, but still says a word or two incidentally when he catches a fish or levels up. I think he talks too much. Adol should be silent.

Overall, though, enjoying the game a lot so far and can't wait to get home and turn it on again tonight.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:08:26 PM by kazekirifx »

NightWolve

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
Nice review, enjoy!

Gypsy

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 01:18:14 AM »
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to this game being released state side. Good to hear about the camera change in particular.

One thing, and you may not have encountered it yet. How does the game perform with lots of action/enemies on screen? MoC was pretty laggy in my experience and it somewhat detracted from an otherwise pretty fun experience.

NightWolve

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 02:09:34 AM »
Falcom Music Channel's josep put up the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q

I found it meh, didn't really find anything I liked, but there it goes for others to check out.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the review, KK, and for the tunes link, NW.  I can't wait for it to come to the US.

geise

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:27 AM »
I might have to finally update my Vita.  I really don't want to loose my eCFW for psx and psp games though.  I like playing my psp games on an oled screen.  Especially with my launch jp psp being a ghosting mess and a shitty d-pad.

xelement5x

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
Thanks for the preview/review!  It sounds like a pretty solid entry at least.  Now the waiting game for a US version begins :D
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
I might have to finally update my Vita.  I really don't want to loose my eCFW for psx and psp games though.  I like playing my psp games on an oled screen.  Especially with my launch jp psp being a ghosting mess and a shitty d-pad.

You could do what I did and get a PSTV to keep your Vita on low firmware. You should be able to get one quite cheap.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »
I want cfw for my PSTV so I can play PSP ISOs.  I'd gladly buy a second one for that, keeping my current one updated for Vita games.