Author Topic: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita  (Read 11098 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
The Ys PSP games are among my favorite of all time. The Oath in Felghana was so so dramatically well done and then such an epic single player journey it felt like the culmination of the decades of Falcon blooming in one game. The party battle in Seven wasn't as good but if definitely grew on me - I sunk dozens of hours into that game. Always wanted to play Celcetta but it is tough to justify buying that console when that's pretty much the only game on it that I'd play. I'm still hoping for a Steam version some time along the line. Very excited for this one though, it would be great to finally play an Ya game on a console proper again. I only have an Xbone this console generation but I'd definitely get a PS4 if this makes it out stateside.  Falcom4Lyfe

Actually, I think Celceta is now compatible with the Vita TV, which goes for something like $40 on Amazon these days.  I think that's totally worth it.  It apparently was patched in October of this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M%E2%80%93Z)

grolt

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
The Ys PSP games are among my favorite of all time. The Oath in Felghana was so so dramatically well done and then such an epic single player journey it felt like the culmination of the decades of Falcon blooming in one game. The party battle in Seven wasn't as good but if definitely grew on me - I sunk dozens of hours into that game. Always wanted to play Celcetta but it is tough to justify buying that console when that's pretty much the only game on it that I'd play. I'm still hoping for a Steam version some time along the line. Very excited for this one though, it would be great to finally play an Ya game on a console proper again. I only have an Xbone this console generation but I'd definitely get a PS4 if this makes it out stateside.  Falcom4Lyfe

Actually, I think Celceta is now compatible with the Vita TV, which goes for something like $40 on Amazon these days.  I think that's totally worth it.  It apparently was patched in October of this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M%E2%80%93Z)

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing.  I'd heard about PlayStation TV but assumed it was more like a hub for playing PS4 games on a different TV or playing old PS1/2/3 games through PlayStation Now.  Had no idea it was essentially a Vita console with a cartridge input and everything.  Picking one up locally now based on your recommendation along with MoC.  Thanks man.
I'm a notorious strange man.

Gypsy

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
There are some games that still won't work but basically everything that has come out recently and everything coming out in the future is compatible. You said you pretty much only want it for MoC though so that doesn't matter too much.

Sony has really bungled the whole thing imo but they don't care about anything Vita related anymore and that's been the case for awhile.

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
It is my hope that Falcom will port this game to PS4/Steam themselves and bypass Xseed.

Heh, that would be my sincere wish as well or another publisher/localizer like Atlus replaced 'em, but their partnership is pretty firm after all the previous titles they licensed so not gonna happen... :/ I really do hate the position that Thomas Lipschultz put me in, but I do have to stand up for myself.

Apparently MoC has had a PC release (in Chinese). Honestly, it should be on Steam eventually. I find it hard to believe they don't want those sales. Heck more and more Japanese stuff in general is hitting PC.

Wow, thanks for sharing this! I didn't know this happened. Wonder if SkyeWelse knows, if so, he already will have imported it. Must be that same PC developer that did the Ys 7 PC Chinese version.

So from what I read, in 2009 Falcom lost their PC distribution partner in Japan, Softbank, as the PC gaming market got really bad there... Softbank stopped buying their games for reselling/distribution to retail stores and Falcom's online mail order side wasn't cutting it. That's the situation that forced them into the console market to stay in business. Thus, no more PC versions coded by their staff ever since. :/

But yeah, it's this Chinese developer that's continued the PC ports for that market (China). I heard their Ys 7 port was pretty buggy though but I mean to check it out some time.

EDIT: Hey, I found it. Easily purchased right now from YesAsia.com for $46 bucks (shipping included).

http://www.yesasia.com/us/ys-foliage-ocean-in-celceta-chinese-edition/1046408708-0-0-0-en/info.html

I bought the first Magna Carta from this retailer (from that Softmax Korean developer).

Hm, they also indicate that Celceta is their top 2 best seller right now for PC Games looking at the right column here:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/pc-games.html

Courtesy of SkyeWelse. ;)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:53:06 PM by NightWolve »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 04:51:56 AM »
Playing Ys can get you pussy?  I knew it!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SegaSonic91

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 08:40:20 AM »
It is my hope that Falcom will port this game to PS4/Steam themselves and bypass Xseed.
Heh, that would be my sincere wish as well or another publisher/localizer like Atlus replaced 'em, but their partnership is pretty firm after all the previous titles they licensed so not gonna happen... :/ I really do hate the position that Thomas Lipschultz put me in, but I do have to stand up for myself.

After reading about your story a few weeks back, I am so glad I did not buy the Ys games from GoG.  I still remember back when you first started on the Ys VI translation project and how awesome I thought it was as that was before I went to uni to study Japanese.  I will stick to playing them in Japanese!  I never did open Ys Origin though and really do not want to now.  I don't think I have the ISO for it anymore either.  I ordered it and Felghana from Falcom themselves.  It was so excitting at the time.  I was never able to finish Felghana because my laptop utterly died during the final boss battle and I had no idea about the stupid hidden file save sata bullshit that Falcom loved pulling back then, grrrr!  I also remember when XAK III and Ys IV Mask of the Sun translations were started!  I think it was on the Ys forum??  I do not remember now.

I wish Falcom and gone for the PS3 instead of the bloody PSP when they decided to make console games again.  I waited and waited for that promised PC upgrade of Ys VII which of course never happened.  Even playing Sora no Kiseki FC on the PS VITA TV does not come close to the PS3 version graphically.  If only there was a voice patch for the PS3 versions!  I am not a fan of the "updated" chara designs in the VITA version.  Much prefer the originals.  I am not a fan of modern JP game designs in general.  I am so, so SOOO fed the f*ck up with females and the ridiculous boob sizes!  It is just pathetic!  Even SEGA had to go and ruin the designs in the sequel/spinoff/whatever it will be to Senjou no Valkyria.

NightWolve

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
Heh, that would be my sincere wish as well or another publisher/localizer like Atlus replaced 'em, but their partnership is pretty firm after all the previous titles they licensed so not gonna happen... :/ I really do hate the position that Tom-chan Lipschultz put me in, but I do have to stand up for myself.
After reading about your story a few weeks back, I am so glad I did not buy the Ys games from GoG.
Appreciate it! It's an uphill battle obviously and it's dispiriting where you see that some just don't care, pretend there's nothing wrong, or worse, those disgruntled bigoted types that took glee/enjoyment with me being cheated, exactly the people I feel Lipschultz was catering to with what he did and laughing along with...

I still remember back when you first started on the Ys VI translation project and how awesome I thought it was as that was before I went to uni to study Japanese.
Woah, you go way way back then! That was 2003-2004-ish! And speaking of that, I actually went ahead and released a patch of that project the day XSEED went live with their localization on Steam, though it needs plenty editing still, heh. Then after I saw what PirateBay Sarah did on the same day also, well, I shared that too. The trolls on the XSEED forums actually noticed and one of 'em said, "It feels like a kick in the nuts." Guess they still keep an eye on me from time to time... Heh-heh. Sometimes I wish I never got involved at all in the fan translation gig, but oh well. :/

I never did open Ys Origin though and really do not want to now.  I don't think I have the ISO for it anymore either.  I ordered it and Felghana from Falcom themselves. It was so exciting at the time.
Yeah, I sure do remember that feeling when my boxes arrived! I love Falcom's packaging.

You know, actually, I never sat down to beat Ys Origin either. I hacked it for Jeff "DeuceBag" Nussbaum, I extracted the Japanese script, upgraded my translation software to give him full editing control, instant testing, etc. that is, with a few button clicks, he could translate its text to English, instantly insert it into the game, catch context errors, etc. total control/instant testing to let him do all the translating and editing without my further intervention and then eventually what happened is he redirected the translated results to Lipschultz's programmer buddy, as part of a double-cross amongst themselves and he again redirected the results to XSEED, this time getting paid and credited 100%!

So yeah, that's how things left off with me with Ys Origin. He essentially tricked me into working for him. I should've taken his offer to pay me for the extraction, instead I wound up giving him $550 just a few months later, another regret I'll have to live with... No doubt about it to me, he is a monster that played me for years, I'm just a poor judge of character, a great failure of mine that has gotten me in trouble many times, both offline and online... :/ But yeah, the game just got left behind in my mind with how XSEED came along and his secret deals of shame...

I was never able to finish Felghana because my laptop utterly died during the final boss battle and I had no idea about the stupid hidden file save sata bullshit that Falcom loved pulling back then, grrrr!
Heh, I have an issue with the final boss battle as well! I beat the game on normal mode, but I unlocked the final "Inferno" difficulty mode, got to the end, maxed out Adol, and STILL couldn't defeat Galbalan, "the marauder from far off lands..." ;)

He IS one of the best, epic bosses ever, really tests your ability to pay attention, predict patterns, dodge at the right time, etc.!! Felghana was Falcom's golden age. :) You can NOT be lazy when you go up against him, Falcom made you work for that victory which makes it all the more satisfying. Of course Inferno mode is made available with their final patch and if you want the maximum challenge.

I also remember when XAK III and Ys IV Mask of the Sun translations were started!  I think it was on the Ys forum??  I do not remember now.
Well, if you're talking Xak III, I started that in the RIGG forums (Retro ISO Gaming Guild) in late 2001, and Ys IV:MotS got started probably in places like The Whirlpool/Donut, the predecessor to romhacking.net and Neill Corlett's forums with translator Shimarisu.

You probably remember the Ys Goddesses art in the RIGG forum frame on the left that Tenchi-no-ryu (Stephen Harris) made who left to run RPGFAN.com for a couple of years.

I wish Falcom and gone for the PS3 instead of the bloody PSP when they decided to make console games again.  I waited and waited for that promised PC upgrade of Ys VII which of course never happened.
I hate that they had to quit the PC platform (nothing coded by them internally). I kinda hoped it'd eventually become more of the standard and we'd see less and less of the PS3, PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7, etc. formula of consoles but I guess I don't understand that there's still plenty of market for dedicated gaming-only machines even when they cost about the same now as a general PC and are closer to just being PC themselves in terms of computing power.

Anyway, you did kinda get that PC version of Ys 7, just that it was coded by a Chinese team and not Falcom staff and now you'd have to learn Chinese. ;) That team has gotten better I hear and Falcom even took back one of their PC ports (It was Zero no Kiseki) and localized it to Japanese for sale in Japan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:49:52 PM by NightWolve »

xelement5x

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 03:57:44 AM »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:13 AM »
Awesome, even if Raksha looks rather grumpy in most of those pics.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 04:54:02 AM »
Awesome, even if Raksha looks rather grumpy in most of those pics.

Dats cuz Japan is into tsundere bitchz
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

technozombie

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
I hope the ps4/Vita exclusivity is short lived since I don't own a PS4.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:23 PM »
bah, wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:19:02 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

xelement5x

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:21 AM »
I hope the ps4/Vita exclusivity is short lived since I don't own a PS4.

I mean, they may do PC/Steam as well but I dunno.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Sexy Ys themed Vitas:  http://www.sony.jp/playstation/store/special/psvita/ys8/?s_tc=st_gp_sce_blog_20160512_ys/

It's a close call, but I prefer the Black Pearl version to the White Cleria version.

Speedy

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
Sexy Ys themed Vitas:  http://www.sony.jp/playstation/store/special/psvita/ys8/?s_tc=st_gp_sce_blog_20160512_ys/

It's a close call, but I prefer the Black Pearl version to the White Cleria version.

I personally prefer the White one but both of them are stunning. They're definitely the best limited edition Vita designs so far.