Author Topic: (1/17/2016 - 1/23/2016) Game of the Week: Super Dimension Fortress Macross 2036  (Read 1201 times)

BigusSchmuck

I still wonder if there's an English version floating around out there.  If no one remembers, this is one of the games that the secretary at TTI told me was basically finished, but had some glitches or something near the end of the game, & it just became unprofitable to release by that time, as the Turbo was on it's way down. :(

I was always wondering this since all the mags had the release as August 93 and it was only two months away from that release date.  There's gotta be one floating around, but by now you'd think it would have gotten leaked.
I would rather see a translation of Ein No Love Song personally. Do you really want to hear the Robotech version Lynn Minmay's songs? Ugh..

geise

Lol.  No I don't want to hear that.  However, we don't know what they did to localize it.  It could've just been the text when selecting your weapons and possibly subtitled cut-scenes.  Doubtful but I can dream.

ParanoiaDragon

I'm figuring it was dubbed, with maybe exception of any vocal tracks, but that's only a guess on my part.  I haven't played this game in forever, so I don't recall any vocal tracks??  I have no idea what there budget was., & I really can't say for sure it was was indeed Macross 2036 or Robotech 2036.  Me thinks that calling it Robotech would up the price tremendously from what I used to hear in regards to Harmony Gold.  But IIRC, it was being touted as Robotech 2036 in publications......

Gentlegamer

I still wonder if there's an English version floating around out there.  If no one remembers, this is one of the games that the secretary at TTI told me was basically finished, but had some glitches or something near the end of the game, & it just became unprofitable to release by that time, as the Turbo was on it's way down. :(

I was always wondering this since all the mags had the release as August 93 and it was only two months away from that release date.  There's gotta be one floating around, but by now you'd think it would have gotten leaked.
I would rather see a translation of Ein No Love Song personally. Do you really want to hear the Robotech version Lynn Minmay's songs? Ugh..

YES! That's what I have nostalgia for.

SignOfZeta

I don't see how original Macross music could not sound nostalgic to anyone, even if they heard it for the first time today. It's some extremely romantic old fashioned sounding stuff, even for 1982.

I like some of the Robotech tunes, not Minmei's three songs of course, but the opening and incidental. The voice acting is also extremely good. The voice actors were so much more natural sounding in those old dubs.

Like all things "Robotech" though it should go permanently out of print forever so we can get the Macross stuff flowing back into the US. Harmony Gold has screwed Americans out of a half dozen Macross things at this point because of their squatting on the rights of a 30 year old dub made by a guy who is now dead. Releasing a remixed version of Love Live Alive decades after it came out in Japan is not taking proper care of a franchise. f*ck those guys.

As for 2036, it's great. I like the SFC game a lot more, also the arcade shooters based on DYRL, Macross II, and Macross Plus, but my favorite thing about 2036, and also Love Song, is that it looks more like a genuine sequel to DYRL than anything else I can think of. The character and mecha designs are terrific. Nothing made now would look that right. I have an old issue of B Club that has some of the image art made for this game printed larger than it is the game manual.

esteban

I don't see how original Macross music could not sound nostalgic to anyone, even if they heard it for the first time today. It's some extremely romantic old fashioned sounding stuff, even for 1982.

I like some of the Robotech tunes, not Minmei's three songs of course, but the opening and incidental. The voice acting is also extremely good. The voice actors were so much more natural sounding in those old dubs.

Like all things "Robotech" though it should go permanently out of print forever so we can get the Macross stuff flowing back into the US. Harmony Gold has screwed Americans out of a half dozen Macross things at this point because of their squatting on the rights of a 30 year old dub made by a guy who is now dead. Releasing a remixed version of Love Live Alive decades after it came out in Japan is not taking proper care of a franchise. f*ck those guys.

As for 2036, it's great. I like the SFC game a lot more, also the arcade shooters based on DYRL, Macross II, and Macross Plus, but my favorite thing about 2036, and also Love Song, is that it looks more like a genuine sequel to DYRL than anything else I can think of. The character and mecha designs are terrific. Nothing made now would look that right. I have an old issue of B Club that has some of the image art made for this game printed larger than it is the game manual.

DUDE! Scan that image art!

Damn!
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

Finally got a chance to play this evening, made it to level three... can we get a technical report on how the parallax effects are achieved?

Black Tiger

Finally got a chance to play this evening, made it to level three... can we get a technical report on how the parallax effects are achieved?

Sliding strips.

Stuff that sticks up and some of the stars, little ships and maybe garbage are sprites.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gentlegamer

Sliding strips.

Stuff that sticks up and some of the stars, little ships and maybe garbage are sprites.

How about the first stage, looks like some foreground and background parallax.

EmperorIng

I think he gave you the answer the first time around.

@Zeta:

Damn! Now those are some gorgeous scans. Makes me pine for the days of Macross and GunBuster mecha (and chara) design.  :cry:

Black Tiger

Sliding strips.

How about the first stage, looks like some foreground and background parallax.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

A Black Falcon

This is a fun game when you're actually playing it, but the cutscenes are annoyingly long!  This isn't a long game, but like half of the game is cutscenes.  It gets tedious.  And it's a somewhat easy and basic game, too.  The game looks pretty good, but while it is fun to play the low difficulty, somewhat simplistic gameplay, and overlong cutscenes hold it back.  It also doesn't help that I have very little nostalgia for Macross, so I'm just judging it as a game and not as something connected to something else.

I mean, this IS an above average game, but I wouldn't call in the incredible classic I've seen some say it is.  It's 'just' a fun little shooter with nice graphics but some issues.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:01:00 PM by A Black Falcon »

EmperorIng

At least you can skip the cutscenes. This isn't Right Stuff garbage we're talking about.