Author Topic: "Your Guide to The Do's and Don't of Retro Gaming"  (Read 1505 times)

SuperGrafx

Re: "Your Guide to The Do's and Don't of Retro Gaming"
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
Nah.  Most old timers agree with Zeta's cranky rants (to some degree anyway) or at least find them humorous.

While not against the rules, obviously, such threads as this really aren't worth much, but the only time they bother me is when the OP just posts a link and can't be bothered to comment themselves.  As little entertainment as yet another internet know-it-all written article/video provides, it's still 10x more entertaining than some noob begging for us to hook him up with dealz, asking what the difference is between an Arcade Card Duo and an Arcade Card Pro, etc.

Agreed.
While I'm but a wretched noob, I do find a lot of truths in Zeta's well constructed posts.
I liken him to Donald Trump in some ways -- he's not afraid to say things that many of us are too bashful to say.  And that's a good thing.

MrBroadway

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »
Nah.  Most old timers agree with Zeta's cranky rants (to some degree anyway) or at least find them humorous.

While not against the rules, obviously, such threads as this really aren't worth much, but the only time they bother me is when the OP just posts a link and can't be bothered to comment themselves.  As little entertainment as yet another internet know-it-all written article/video provides, it's still 10x more entertaining than some noob begging for us to hook him up with dealz, asking what the difference is between an Arcade Card Duo and an Arcade Card Pro, etc.

Agreed.
While I'm but a wretched noob, I do find a lot of truths in Zeta's well constructed posts.
I liken him to Donald Trump in some ways -- he's not afraid to say things that many of us are too bashful to say.  And that's a good thing.
Dear god, no. Donald Trump says whatever it takes to get elected. He's flip-flopped more times than John Kerry's pancakes.

NightWolve

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
SignOfZealotry would REALLY NOT appreciate a comparison to The Donald, but it's hilarious you made it!! :lol:

seieienbu

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
I generally try to avoid reading webpages like uproxx, buzzfeed, upworthy, etc.  I also have never heard anyone say much of anything positive about said webpages which leads me to wonder how these pages get the traffic that they do. 

Perhaps I'm biased by my views of the website, but I would doubt if this affects retro game prices in the end.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 12:05:17 AM »
Sometimes, best to put your head in the sand and play more turbo. Cutting off the outside worlds views (the interweebs) on my hobbies works best for me. But I have rage issues...maybe that's why I drink...self medicating.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

MrBroadway

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:38 AM »
I generally try to avoid reading webpages like uproxx, buzzfeed, upworthy, etc.  I also have never heard anyone say much of anything positive about said webpages which leads me to wonder how these pages get the traffic that they do.
They thrive by controversy. If they can get people to click on it because it's controversy, they make the same money than if people clicked on it because they enjoy it.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 04:36:46 AM »
Oh screw this article... blech.

"Best way to play retro games:  Retron 5"

WTF?

jeffhlewis

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 04:44:13 AM »
"Safely skip" the Sega CD, Gameboy and Neo Geo? Get the f*ck out.

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »

But the Sega-CD library is all fmv games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

in99flames

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

Actually Sega CD has quite a few non fmv games. Some are really good too! Dont forget Lunar, Lunar 2, Slipheed, Sonic CD, willy beamish to name a few.....kriss kross make my video....ok maybe not the last one :-P
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

TR0N

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »

Id roll my eyes on that one still we all been trolled by that article  ](*,)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MrBroadway

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:57 AM »
There are so many good Game Boy games, I can't see how that can be overlooked, although I wouldn't recommend anyone playing them on the original handheld. GBA SP 101 is the way to go for that (or if you want to shell out some cash, a front-lit GBC is more comfortable).

Still, I think the other two can be skipped without significant loss. The AES is stupidly expensive, even if you get an MVS converter. The NGCD is all right, but many of the games on the system can be had elsewhere, leaving about a dozen exclusives. I recommend it to folks, but it's not a must-have.

The Sega CD is a vastly overrated console among collectors. Maybe if you're a hardcore RPG fan, the Lunar Games, Vay, and Shining Forced CD might make an investment worth it, but Android Assault and Silpheed are not actually that good (that might be personal, though, as I cannot stand the "2.5 D" overhead perspective; give me a standard 2D shooter!). What else does it have that other consoles do not? It's mostly polished ports, giving us good but not way better versions of Final Fight, Earthworm Jim, and Batman Returns.

Oh, and Sonic CD is the worst of the 2D Sonic games (unless you count Knuckles Chaotix).

xelement5x

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
There are so many good Game Boy games, I can't see how that can be overlooked, although I wouldn't recommend anyone playing them on the original handheld. GBA SP 101 is the way to go for that (or if you want to shell out some cash, a front-lit GBC is more comfortable).

Still, I think the other two can be skipped without significant loss. The AES is stupidly expensive, even if you get an MVS converter. The NGCD is all right, but many of the games on the system can be had elsewhere, leaving about a dozen exclusives. I recommend it to folks, but it's not a must-have.

The Sega CD is a vastly overrated console among collectors. Maybe if you're a hardcore RPG fan, the Lunar Games, Vay, and Shining Forced CD might make an investment worth it, but Android Assault and Silpheed are not actually that good (that might be personal, though, as I cannot stand the "2.5 D" overhead perspective; give me a standard 2D shooter!). What else does it have that other consoles do not? It's mostly polished ports, giving us good but not way better versions of Final Fight, Earthworm Jim, and Batman Returns.

Oh, and Sonic CD is the worst of the 2D Sonic games (unless you count Knuckles Chaotix).

For a very long time the Sega CD was not a collector's console, it was full of cheap fun to play games that didn't break the bank.  Obviously one of the better games on the system is (in my opinion) Popful Mail, but Flink is solid, so Terminator is fun, and for all the complaints people have about Sewer Shark I genuinely enjoy it as a rail shooter game. 

To add a couple more, Jurassic Park is a very unique adventure game, if you like the Ecco games the arranged  OSTs on the CD versions are quite good, Micky Mania is a good showing (and feels like a spiritual predecessor to Epic Micky), Panic! is bizarre, and in general there are a number of good ports of PC titles on the system as well.  Is there junk on it, sure.  But you could say that of any system.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

MrBroadway

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 06:06:56 AM »
For a very long time the Sega CD was not a collector's console, it was full of cheap fun to play games that didn't break the bank.  Obviously one of the better games on the system is (in my opinion) Popful Mail, but Flink is solid, so Terminator is fun, and for all the complaints people have about Sewer Shark I genuinely enjoy it as a rail shooter game. 

To add a couple more, Jurassic Park is a very unique adventure game, if you like the Ecco games the arranged  OSTs on the CD versions are quite good, Micky Mania is a good showing (and feels like a spiritual predecessor to Epic Micky), Panic! is bizarre, and in general there are a number of good ports of PC titles on the system as well.  Is there junk on it, sure.  But you could say that of any system.
Thing is, Popful Mail is on the PC Engine (although it's not the same, I do admit), Ecco games are still found on the Genesis, and the original music is by no means bad, and Micky Mania is found on Genesis, SNES, and, in Europe, PS1.

I'm not saying it's all crap, but rather it's lackluster and doesn't rank, in my opinion, as one of the must-own add-ons. In other words, I don't think the author is trolling and the opinion that it can be skipped isn't outlandish.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »
I'd say the FEKA CD is a must own add-on (assuming one has a Genny to begin with), just because it's so cheap.  There's more than enough fun games to make it worth the low entry price, especially if you wanna play RPGs or digicomics in English.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles