Author Topic: "Your Guide to The Do's and Don't of Retro Gaming"  (Read 1488 times)

lukester

"Your Guide to The Do's and Don't of Retro Gaming"
« on: February 26, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/6-retro-game-consoles-collecting/

Don't be surprised if prices spike up soon.  :-"

780racer

Re: "Your Guide to The Do's and Don't of Retro Gaming"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
I think I am more upset that its only #5 on the list. And the ColecoVision beats it... Bleh. Also I think that the SNES has better titles than the NES... By a long shot. But to each their own. 
Switchzx's amazing quote -
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

Blueraven's quote - "it begins."

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/695/show-collection.html

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
Watch Nintendo Quest. Enough said.

lukester

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
I think I am more upset that its only #5 on the list. And the ColecoVision beats it... Bleh. Also I think that the SNES has better titles than the NES... By a long shot. But to each their own. 

It's not pc engine, it's the turbografx. Which is good instead of excellent.

Besides, this is a guide for a growing fad, not a top systems article :/

johnnykonami

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
This shit didn't get me riled up until :

Game Boy

The original Game Boy may be one of the most influential and successful systems of all time, but honestly, most Game Boy games aren’t that good. Also, playing Game Boy games on an actual green-screened Game Boy is a total pain in the ass. If you really want to play Pokémon, there are better ways to do it.

Hey, you know, Turbo might be tough to collect for these days but GB is smooth sailing.  Maybe I should thank this terrible website and article.  More for me!

Otaking

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
So many WTF!?!? moments in that article, but this tops it

What To Avoid....
Any Sega System That Isn’t the Genesis
Aside from the Genesis, most retro Sega consoles didn’t get much support, and what the games they did get weren’t much fun. If you’re collecting stuff you don’t even want to play, what’s the point?

errr... someone let them know about the Saturn and Dreamcast.

and I guess even Master System
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:22:50 AM by Otaking »

crazydean

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
It should be called, "Your Guide to Being a Collectard."
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

TR0N

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »
I notice the article calls collecting for the neo-geo snobbery wtf !? Yeah,aes is a rich mans game but it's not the case for the neo-geo cd and mvs.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MrBroadway

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:25 AM »
Plot twist: lukester wrote the article just to bait you all into clicking on the link for more monies.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:14 AM »
I couldn't get past this:

"Note #1: For the sake of this article, I’m defining retro gaming as anything that came before the advent of polygons and 3-D gaming."

Jokes on him, seeing as there's real 3D poly games for half those systems, and there were 3D poly arcade games years earlier too.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 04:16:23 AM »
Plot twist: lukester wrote the article just to bait you all into clicking on the link for more monies.

Yeah, while I truely loathe these kinds of articles (what kind of weird group think causes millions of punks to use the phrase "in the wild" so consistently?) I think the real crime is constantly starting new threads that have nothing but a YouTube link in them. WTF does the OP thinks he is contributing to the forum? We all have YouTube and everyone knows about shitty link bait sites. We don't need them brought here.

That Sega quote is so terrible it really does seem like it was written to be hated enough to generate more links.

Otaking

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:20:20 AM »

xelement5x

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:59 AM »

Lol, I could only watch part of this.

As for the guide, it seems like it was pretty hastily written by someone who needed to turn in an article that day.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

lukester

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »

Yeah, while I truely loathe these kinds of articles (what kind of weird group think causes millions of punks to use the phrase "in the wild" so consistently?) I think the real crime is constantly starting new threads that have nothing but a YouTube link in them. WTF does the OP thinks he is contributing to the forum? We all have YouTube and everyone knows about shitty link bait sites. We don't need them brought here.

That Sega quote is so terrible it really does seem like it was written to be hated enough to generate more links.

I'm not sure why everything on this forum has to be seen as some kind of "contribution", to be honest. I feel like there's a constant expectation of raffles, mods, whatever. Yeah, it's a dumb article, but isn't it ok to poke fun at things in the hobby? Just look at the bad eBay auctions thread that's been going on for a while.

Zeta, I could easily turn the tables on you. The only things I ever see you "contribute" are rants, such as the one above. If you want to continue to complain, that's fine. But don't have double standards just because you've been here 10 years. If you feel there's an issue, why not message the mods? But Necro hasn't locked it so it seems like things are ok.

This forum has almost 5,000 members and yet the vast majority of them aren't here anymore. Yeah, people move on or have other priorities, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the members have stopped posting because of Debbie downers like you.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »
Nah.  Most old timers agree with Zeta's cranky rants (to some degree anyway) or at least find them humorous.

While not against the rules, obviously, such threads as this really aren't worth much, but the only time they bother me is when the OP just posts a link and can't be bothered to comment themselves.  As little entertainment as yet another internet know-it-all written article/video provides, it's still 10x more entertaining than some noob begging for us to hook him up with dealz, asking what the difference is between an Arcade Card Duo and an Arcade Card Pro, etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles