Author Topic: Do you like the 32X?  (Read 3941 times)

geise

Re: Do you like the 32X?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
Virtua Racing and Kolibri are the only two games that are really worth it on the 32X, I think, and therefore the 32X isn't really worth it.

Doom is better on PC, for Virtua Fighter as Black Tiger said might as well go with the several superior versions on the Saturn. The rest of the library is only OK. Even Knuckles Chaotix is rather bland.

Some here will say get it for the sake of having it and playing maybe 1 or 2 decent games, but I say you're better off playing it for just a bit, not investing much into it, and passing it back on when you're tired of it. At least I never regretted it.
Don't forget Space Harrier.  That game was amazing on the 32x.  I also felt VF1 on 32x was better than the Saturn version.  This is not comparing it to the Remix.

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 05:00:51 AM »
Do people who dismiss non-exclusive games actually do the same for all platforms? The Sega-CD and 32X get criticized too often for having games available elsewhere and/or there being "better" versions out there.

I never hear people talk about Nintendo games like this. Usually it's just the opposite. Instead of saying that anything short of a Wii U VC version of Super Mario All Stars running in 1080p is a waste of time, people often say that they prefer the NES versions or that they're "the best".

Too often some of the same people who say that you should only play the "best" version of any game, also complain about game prices being too high and how hard it is to collect game sets. If you're only interested in the best version of any game, doesn't that exclude 90% of most libraries?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Jibbajaba

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »
The 32X is one of those things that, in death, manages to be forgiven of its sins.

In 1995, it was utterly ridiculous, but these days, if you're a Genesis fan, picking up an old 32X and some games for cheap is a gateway to a hell of a weird and fun experience. Tempo and Knuckles Chaotix are the crowning games on the system thanks to their mid-90s Sega gaudiness that I honestly enjoy quite a lot.

In addition, Space Harrier is a rock-solid classic, Kolibri is a great game to show guests and go in for 2P simulteneous, Shadow Squadron is a surprisingly decent early 3D game with a nice framerate, and Blackthorne, while not my personal cup of tea, has its best port on the 32X.

This is a high-quality post.

bartre

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
Honestly, I kinda do.
I don't like having redundancy in my games.

Granted, I don't have every system, but I tend to only have the game in one format.
If I've got it in pcb, I'll sell the console version etc.
Really the only exception is when versions have something special about them like arrange modes.

MrBroadway

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Do people who dismiss non-exclusive games actually do the same for all platforms? The Sega-CD and 32X get criticized too often for having games available elsewhere and/or there being "better" versions out there.

I never hear people talk about Nintendo games like this. Usually it's just the opposite. Instead of saying that anything short of a Wii U VC version of Super Mario All Stars running in 1080p is a waste of time, people often say that they prefer the NES versions or that they're "the best".
They do say this about Nintendo games. In fact, you should remember that!

Too often some of the same people who say that you should only play the "best" version of any game, also complain about game prices being too high and how hard it is to collect game sets. If you're only interested in the best version of any game, doesn't that exclude 90% of most libraries?
I totally think price should be factored into it. We all have to make sacrifices sometime, like getting a Neo Geo CD over an AES.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »
The 32X was a really really really dumb dumb dumb idea born in the heat of the ego filled SoA vs SoJ feud that never should have happened. It makes very little sense technically, has a terrible software selection, and did significant lasting harm to the company's image that probably contributed somewhat to its inevitable collapse. It's also hella crap looking. I would gladly have traded the entire existence of the 32X for three more months of 1st party Dreamcast support...and it may have actually cost us at least that much, it's probably impossible to say.

However, now that Sega is dead, f*ck it. It does have like three good games and I'm not sure the price on one has gone up all that much since they hit the $10 basket at Toys R Us so if you have a Genesis you may as well get one.

That's the most positive thing I can say about the thing.

geise

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
they hit the $10 basket at Toys R Us
LOL.  That's when I got mine.  It has since been sold.  No desire to pick another one up.

seieienbu

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
LOL.  That's when I got mine.  It has since been sold.  No desire to pick another one up.

I got mine back then too for $40 iirc but I held onto it.  I honestly thought I'd be able to play Saturn games if I had Sega CD and 32X along with my Genesis.  I swear I remember reading that but I looked back through my old magazines from back then and wasn't able to find much of anything.  Perhaps I was thinking about the Neptune or something but what I DO know is that my copy of Panzer Dragoon did not run even though I had the full sega 16 bit Tower of Power.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xelement5x

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 04:18:21 AM »

I got mine back then too for $40 iirc but I held onto it.  I honestly thought I'd be able to play Saturn games if I had Sega CD and 32X along with my Genesis.  I swear I remember reading that but I looked back through my old magazines from back then and wasn't able to find much of anything.  Perhaps I was thinking about the Neptune or something but what I DO know is that my copy of Panzer Dragoon did not run even though I had the full sega 16 bit Tower of Power.

Lol, I made that mistake as well as a youngin.  I think the impression was that maybe it would work, but alas it just became a disaster and was abandoned.  I do think conceptually the 32X was a good idea, but there was just not enough demand/desire for it to fill the next generation hole that was there.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Enternal

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 04:34:29 AM »
The 32X is one of those things that, in death, manages to be forgiven of its sins.

In 1995, it was utterly ridiculous, but these days, if you're a Genesis fan, picking up an old 32X and some games for cheap is a gateway to a hell of a weird and fun experience. Tempo and Knuckles Chaotix are the crowning games on the system thanks to their mid-90s Sega gaudiness that I honestly enjoy quite a lot.

In addition, Space Harrier is a rock-solid classic, Kolibri is a great game to show guests and go in for 2P simulteneous, Shadow Squadron is a surprisingly decent early 3D game with a nice framerate, and Blackthorne, while not my personal cup of tea, has its best port on the 32X.

Mortal Kombat II is arguably just as good or better on the SNES, though - better music, better backgrounds, and no loss in gameplay. The 32X port only has slightly nicer sprites and cleaner voice samples.

Double agreed, good post.

The 32x is still dirt cheap for a "new platform" for someone to get into. I still see them unit only for 10-20. Before that was a pain because the link cable was running more than the system was on ebay but now that replicas are being made you can save $ by finding a bare unit. But you can still pull system with cords for 60.

I only have 16 of the 37 games, but outside of the commonly mentioned Star Wars Arcade, Kolibri, Knuckles Chaotix. The 32x ports of the 16 bit games are usually enhanced versions of their 16 bit counterparts. After Burner, Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam, Blackthorne (has extra levels) Space Harrier, Star Trek Starfleet Academy. And while some of these games saw Saturn and Playstation releases, you don't get the load times.

And to answer the topic question.

I do like it, and SamIam's statement sums it up fairly well.

The allure of the 3d era was heavily being pushed when the system came out. Graphics were still a high priority for game quality, and hearing speech in a game was a treat. Sega was just coming off their prime Genesis years. And my friend and I rented a 32x along with Star Wars arcade from Blockbuster. It was one of those experiences you tried to force yourself to like, but knew in your heart wasn't that good. My nephew got one from Software Etc when they were marked down to like 29.99. And I still thought it was crap.

Years later, my perspective changed, like many others. I no longer judge the system against a Saturn, or Playstation, and Instead look at the games for what they are, Year one games on a patched together system made out 90's tech patched on to 1988 hardware. Now I see the library as being interesting and fairly decent overall. The 32x also addressed some of the criticism that the Genesis received, enhancing the sound and color palate capabilities.

It would have been interesting if 32x came out a few years earlier and was built into the Sega CD. Even some modern homebrew would be interesting to see.

Checkout what's been made on the Genesis (pales to the original PC, but very impressive for the genesis)

A Comparision, notable difference when youtube video is full screen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:37:14 AM by Enternal »

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 05:03:54 AM »
I Bought one new for $50 when it died and a stack of games for $5 each.  Totally worth it.  I loved VF and played the hell out of it.  Knuckles has amazing music and grafx, Tempo is a really good game.  Afterburner is Arcade Perfect.  So is Space Harrier.  The system just needed more support it was a very capable machine and with zero loading it could have been a great arcade game converter.  I tried to like the CD games, I guess Corpse Killer was my favorite.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

esadajr

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 06:04:14 AM »
id buy that for a dollar

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Gaming since 1985

synbiosfan

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 06:38:41 AM »
My friends and I bought it when it was released. We played the hell out of Virtua Racing and it was pretty awesome to play Doom with a controller. It was a failure but it provided us with some great times.

geise

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
It was a failure but it provided us with some great times.

That's all that matters.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
Now if Sega had made the cartridge port on the back of the Saturn with the ability to play 32x games (like I thought they did back in the day) things might have turned out differently...