Author Topic: Do you like the 32X?  (Read 3946 times)

crazydean

Do you like the 32X?
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
So, I was never interested in the Sega 32X, but one popped up here relatively cheap. Is it worth buying? I don't like sports games or fighting games. I don't want to buy this just to take up space in my game room.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Jibbajaba

Re: Do you like the 32X?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »
Yeah, I think it's a pretty cool little device, and it certainly doesn't take up much room.  I would have been disappointed had I bought it brand new at full price back in the day, but a cheap 32X and an Everdrive is certainly good for quite a bit of fun these days.

Johnpv

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
There aren't a ton of great games on it, but there's a few really good, fun games on it.  Specially if you can get the system on the cheap, it's totally worth it then. 

crazydean

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Alright, well I went for it. Unfortunately, this thing STINKS like cigarettes and BO. Gonna try my best to clean it up. Any suggestions on a stinky console?

xelement5x

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »
Take the electronics out and soak the plastic in a 50/50 vinegar/water mix. 

Oh, and 32X is totally worth it, if only for the fact that it makes composite out of a stock genesis so much better.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

bartre

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Kolibri, tempo, and blackthorne are good.
outside of that, all the other really good games are available on other systems at varying quality.
the MK2 port is really good.

oh, and ignore what people say about knuckles chaotix, it's unfinished.
at mgc one year i saw the game make a little girl cry.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
Don't forget The Star Wars game for it. :P Oh yeah, there was a port of T-Mek, but pretty poorly done from what I understand..

seieienbu

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
Knuckles Chaotix is a lot of fun.  I also liked the ports of Afterburner and Space Harrier a lot.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Dicer

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
Almost bit on one today, will bide my time...

SuperGrafx

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
I bought one back in the day when they started packing in a copy of Doom with the unit.
I really wanted to play DOOM back then and a $2,000 PC just wasn't in the cards, so I was quite pleased with how the console port turned out.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is also well worth your time.  Very well done game.  The rest, not so much.

SamIAm

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »
The 32X is one of those things that, in death, manages to be forgiven of its sins.

In 1995, it was utterly ridiculous, but these days, if you're a Genesis fan, picking up an old 32X and some games for cheap is a gateway to a hell of a weird and fun experience. Tempo and Knuckles Chaotix are the crowning games on the system thanks to their mid-90s Sega gaudiness that I honestly enjoy quite a lot.

In addition, Space Harrier is a rock-solid classic, Kolibri is a great game to show guests and go in for 2P simulteneous, Shadow Squadron is a surprisingly decent early 3D game with a nice framerate, and Blackthorne, while not my personal cup of tea, has its best port on the 32X.

Mortal Kombat II is arguably just as good or better on the SNES, though - better music, better backgrounds, and no loss in gameplay. The 32X port only has slightly nicer sprites and cleaner voice samples.

GaijinD

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
Not a big fan of the 32X, but I have to admit the Star Wars Arcade port is pretty good. Fun fact: John Brandstetter was a producer on the title.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

crazydean

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
Well, took it apart and found some dead roaches, horay! Doing a nice clean-up now. I also didn't realize I don't have the right cable to connect it to my monitor, so it might be a few weeks before I actually get to play it.

Also, it came with the Star Wars game so that's cool, and I have a Mega Everdrive for the rest.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
I got a 32X at launch and was very happy with it. It was worth it for Doom and Virtua Racing DX alone. Virtua Fighter is very cool too, although by the time I got to play it, Virtua Fighter 2 for Saturn was old news.

Mortal Kombat II is arguably just as good or better on the SNES, though - better music, better backgrounds, and no loss in gameplay. The 32X port only has slightly nicer sprites and cleaner voice samples.

The 32X version only runs at 30fps. :/
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

MrBroadway

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »
Virtua Racing and Kolibri are the only two games that are really worth it on the 32X, I think, and therefore the 32X isn't really worth it.

Doom is better on PC, for Virtua Fighter as Black Tiger said might as well go with the several superior versions on the Saturn. The rest of the library is only OK. Even Knuckles Chaotix is rather bland.

Some here will say get it for the sake of having it and playing maybe 1 or 2 decent games, but I say you're better off playing it for just a bit, not investing much into it, and passing it back on when you're tired of it. At least I never regretted it.