Author Topic: "why did I sell that!?"  (Read 1325 times)

guyjin

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »
That sucks, but who didn't do that -

Me. I have never, ever 'traded in' a game to a store, and never will.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

cavein2000

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »
guyjin, how old are you(if you don't mind me asking)?  Back then, that was the only way for me to afford the newest system.
What a horrible night to have a curse...

GUTS

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »
Yeah seriously, unless you're rich you've traded stuff in at one time or another.  Besides, you can actually make out like a bandit if you hit Gamestop during one of their deals like where they give an extra $10 per 3 games or something (did this last month and got about $50 for a bunch of shitty games).

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 02:43:07 PM »
Ten years ago trading in stuff at Funco was not only worth it, but actually profitable at times. You could literally broker games for a few hundred dollars a month in your spare time if you were devoted enough.

Nowadays though, f*ck that. EB, Gamestop, whatever rarely give more than $10 for anything more than 6 months old. Many times the trade-ins are less than $2. I'd donate the game to the Salvation Army, or just burn the thing in the fireplace before I sold it to EB for $0.75 and watch them turn around and put a $14 price tag on it. WTF am I going to do with $0.75?

Its still possible to get good deals at pawn shops, and small-time game stores but the mall places are just an outright screwjob. I have a friend who is totally addicted to wasting hundreds of dollars at EB this way. I just do not get it at all.

guyjin

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
I'm 26, and not rich. When I did get rid of games, it was always at a garage sale or a sale/trade/gift to a friend (not throuh a store).

The reason I got away with this is, I haven't bought a 'new' system in a long time. my last 'new' system was the Dreamcast. my next will be the wii.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

cavein2000

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 02:58:41 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Nowadays though, f*ck that.

true true...
The extra 10 bucks deal is still sweet though, I got 20 bucks for maximo, tekken 3? and maybe devil may cry 2?  I can't remember, just know I would never play those games again.  Yeah, and I put the 20 bucks towards Disgaea II, so you do the math!

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 03:42:07 PM »
Quote from: "cavein2000"

true true...
The extra 10 bucks deal is still sweet though, I got 20 bucks for maximo, tekken 3? and maybe devil may cry 2?  I can't remember, just know I would never play those games again.  Yeah, and I put the 20 bucks towards Disgaea II, so you do the math!

The math...OK, that's $6.66 per game. That...sucks...

Its going to suck even more when you want to trade in Disgaea 2 for something else in the future, but you'll need to trade in two other games that were once $50 to get that "good deal". $150 spent at EB becomes $20 in credit towards another $50 game, then set back out on the shelf for another $36 in sales as used software. EB totally owns you multiple times.

I think the deal with me is that I don't buy games I don't like, therefore getting rid if "games I'll never play again" doesn't happen with me. I would never buy Tekken since I hate it. Meanwhile my copies of CvS2, Rez, Ys 1&2, etc will be buried with me.

GUTS

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 04:06:49 PM »
$6.66 per game is a hell of a lot more than you'd get anywhere else for old ass stuff like Tekken 3, Devil May Cry 2 and Maximo.  You'd be lucky to get $2 apiece for those on ebay.

thewestexit

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 05:53:06 PM »
I never traded in games in the past, when I was a kid I hung onto everything for dear life.  The first time I ever sold my own video games was with the Playstation, and I was in college by then...

I still wouldn't trade anything in now, but no one would take my trade in anyway since I only buy jpn releases (well, for the most part)
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

cavein2000

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 11:22:29 PM »
Quote from: "cavein2000"

true true...

The math...OK, that's $6.66 per game. That...sucks...
Its going to suck even more when you want to trade in Disgaea 2 for something else in the future, but you'll need to trade in two other games that were once $50 to get that "good deal".

Dude, I meant its a good deal when you've got games like tekken 3, I would definitely hold onto disgaea 2 for my collection, but if I was going to part with a gem like that, I'd put it up for sale on ebay or the forums.  

Just mentioning that the extra 10 dollar deal is a good way of getting rid of ps2 games with no value.

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:22 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
$6.66 per game is a hell of a lot more than you'd get anywhere else for old ass stuff like Tekken 3, Devil May Cry 2 and Maximo.  You'd be lucky to get $2 apiece for those on ebay.

$2, or $6.66, or whatever...is a totally useless amount of money nowdays. You can't buy shit with it. You are basically throwing the game away. You might as well just give the game to EB. In that case, I'd rather give the game to some random relative, or one of my friend's kids, or Goodwill, or...anything realy, rather that to give it to EB.

Tekken dosen't mean much to us, but it could be some poor kids all time favorite game. It could be a huge deal to him, or it could be half the price of a meal at Taco Bell for you or me.

GUTS

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 08:18:23 AM »
Let's see... I can save $20-$30 off a $50 game by giving Gamestop some old worthless shit... or I can give my stuff away for free to some shit-eating kid and THEN go pay $50 for the game... I think I'll save the money, thank you.

Black Tiger

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
Let's see... I can save $20-$30 off a $50 game by giving Gamestop some old worthless shit... or I can give my stuff away for free to some shit-eating kid and THEN go pay $50 for the game... I think I'll save the money, thank you.

Aweswome.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »

But you aren't saving shit. You're looking at the last page of a multi-page ledger. "Oh look, I got $20 in credit!" you may say, but its $20 in credit foir some stuff you paid $175 for. You paid something for those games you are trading in, right? Chances are you're taking a %80 loss on them, if not more.

Why do you have worthless shit in the first place? Why did you buy games you don't like and then basically give them to EB? Fiscally speaking, its pretty suicidal.

Black Tiger

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »

But you aren't saving shit. You're looking at the last page of a multi-page ledger. "Oh look, I got $20 in credit!" you may say, but its $20 in credit foir some stuff you paid $175 for. You paid something for those games you are trading in, right? Chances are you're taking a %80 loss on them, if not more.

Why do you have worthless shit in the first place? Why did you buy games you don't like and then basically give them to EB? Fiscally speaking, its pretty suicidal.

Fiscally speaking, it's quite the pyramid scheme for EB. I think that it should be illegal for anyone underage to trade-in to any store. I also think that governments need to step in and either regulate these ridiculous extended warranty scams or again, make it illegal to sell them to minors.

Some games good or bad plummit in resell price pretty quick for various reasons. Depending on what/when you trade-in, you can do pretty good though.

If you can net $45 in a few weeks for 2 or 3 games by sellling them through eBay, but trade them in the same day for $30 towards what you plan on buying with your cash anyway, I don't blame people for doing trade-ins.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum