Author Topic: "why did I sell that!?"  (Read 1330 times)

NeoFreak

"why did I sell that!?"
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:03:53 PM »
you ever make a sale/trade along time ago that you regret today? well, i never sell any of my games; but when I was younger [5th grade] I was short for cash and I posted an ad in my town's newspaper for some genesis games I wanted to sell so I could buy more games... alien storm, biohazzard battle, decap attack, and evander hollifield boxing.

I got a good amount of money for them, but I miss alien storm SO f*ckING BAD. I loved that game to death and I just dont know why I sold it. sure you say i can buy them again right? i guess, but my copy was so minty perfect and i have so many memories with that game, it sounds completely retarded but I wish i could get MY copy back, isnt that insane?

i'll be 25 years old in 2 months; and to this day, every now and again i'll hear a whisper in my ears "alien.........storm".

son of a bitch.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

AlexKidd

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
yeah, I've made some lousy decisions involving selling some systems/games. there was a time a year ago or so where I was kicked out of my house and a lot of systems got sold. I traded in or sold to friends my GBA sp, psp, Nintendo 64, dreamcast, nomad and neo geo pocket color. A lot of random games for other systems too.

I wouldn't mind having all of that stuff back but being a sega fan I especially miss the dreamcast and nomad. Since then i've re-bought a gba but that's about it. I didn't really have a choice at the time but i'd live under a bridge before i sell any of my turbo stuff.

also your story makes me want to play some alien storm, you should pick up another copy, I got one for like $2.

Bonknuts

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »
Let's see: I lost a copy of Dynastic Hero (US) that I bought for $10

Sold my original Macross CD/SCD shooter than I paid $230 - for $15.

I sold Dracula X for $20 and Ys IV for $15.

Keranu

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
Bonknuts already told me his terrible woes last night in a chat room :( .

The only time this has really ever happened to me was when I had a Genesis collection as a kid with over 30 games (most had boxes and manuals too) and got a used Saturn with NiGHTS out of it, which broke in a couple of months.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
Tradeing a TG16+TurboCD plus 15 games just so i could score some sega cd games  :oops:

What can i say i didn't know better at the time. No super system 3.0 card, plus not having money for imports... i didn't see the reason to keep it back then.

Still i find it funny i... started over again with a, Duo-R and now i have more then i did then.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PC Gaijin

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:42:38 PM »
I'm curious Bonknuts...how did you end up paying $230 for Macross 2036?

Anyway, I've sold a few things over the years that I regretted later. Beginning with my original NES and about a dozen games. I sold them to afford the Turbografx-16. Now I don't regret buying the Turbo, but I wish I could have done it in some other way than giving up my NES.

Around 1999 I sold off some Saturn games that later got rather valuable (Astra Superstars and Phantasy Star Collection are two that I can remember). I was able to buy them back a few years later, but not nearly in as nice condition as the ones I sold.

The biggest regret I have is selling off almost my entire Nintendo 64 collection a couple years ago when I went through one of those "oh, I'm too old for videogames, why do I waste time/space with all this crap" phases. I had a collection of about thirty games, all purchased new by me and absolutely pristine (I'm very, very picky about taking care of my stuff, and everything I've bought since the mid-80s has been kept in mint condition). But as I said I was going through one of those silly (in retrospect) "I need to grow up" phases, and I sold all of them except for Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario, which I kept because I had not finished them yet. Even though I abhor the N64 controller and the blurry N64 graphics haven't aged well, I miss some of those games terribly. I've scanned eBay occasionally with the idea of buying some of them back, but I know I'm unlikely to ever get them in the same condition as the ones I sold off. The chance to play games like F-Zero X and Starfox 64 again is about the only reason I'm slightly interested in the Wii (for the VC).

Chakan

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:43:19 AM »
I just regret the means I chose for this one: Traded a PSX and way too many games for a Sega Saturn system. A lot of fairly new RPGs at the time, too. Never did get Xenogears again yet... >.>

Love my Saturn, though. XD

Bonknuts

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
Keranu, your's is a commonly shared story :x

PC Gaijin:

This was back in '93 and I had been calling all the import stores from the mags looking for Macross 2036. Everyone kept telling me the game was no longer produced and they could not get any copies. One guy at Die Hard told me that the game was pretty rare and if I find a seal copy, not to open it. Well after months and months of searching - I found a mail order place in Canada that had one copy of the game - $199. I realize now the he probably meant $199 CDN and not US, but I sent $199+shipping to the mail order place. I was jonesing for this game. I was a teenager with a job and no bills, so money wasn't too big of deal. I got a letter weeks later by US Customs stating I had to pay $20 in import tax to get the game out of Customs. In the end the total was $230. When I recieve the game(sealed), I was not disappointed. I still love that game.

Ninja Spirit

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 08:12:41 AM »
yes definitely. I wish I had not given up Einhander. I traded it in along with another slew of games for Chrono Cross on its launch date.

guyjin

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »
"Traded a PSX and way too many games for a Sega Saturn system. "

An excellent trade, IMHO. The only game for the original PS I miss is
Monster Rancher; whereas there are lots of games I would miss for the Saturn.

as for trades I regret, I remember selling a lot of my 2600 stuff back in the early 90s for next to nothing. I'd rather have those games back.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

thewestexit

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »
I used to have nearly complete PC Engine and import Sega Saturn collections (over 600 games for each) and I've trimmed it down to about 150 for each system... for the most part I don't regret the stuff I sold, either games I collected and never played, or expensive games that weren't that good (such as Sylphia and Steam Hearts for the PCE).  Out of everything I got rid of, the only games I really miss are Hyper Duel and Astra Super Stars for the Saturn.  I sold them for a pretty big chuck of change a few years ago but they're both worth a lot more now and I'm wondering if I will ever get them back =(

But I still have The TV Show... yes I like that game :D
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:11:17 AM »
Like the westexit I regret selling Astra Superstars. It came out very close to the time that MSHvsSF came out and I opted for the less popular title. Its not a very serious fighting game, but its very fun and has that sort of doujin feel to it. I bought it for ~$60, sold it for $40. Nothing special there.

Now I notice that its very hard to find. Its not actually on eBay very often, and when it is its always $100+. Crap....

MotherGunner

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »
I gave up my Nomad to an Army buddy, back when I lived in the Infantry Barracks.

I also gave him my copy of Street Fighter II, and Ys III.  I regret now.  Although getting it again wouldnt be THAT expensive right?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

rolins

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
In 1999 I traded my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and a Gameboy with games to Funcoland. I recieved a $40 store credit and used it to buy Final Fantasy 8.

cavein2000

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
In 1999 I traded my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and a Gameboy with games to Funcoland. I recieved a $40 store credit and used it to buy Final Fantasy 8.

That sucks, but who didn't do that - at least you didn't take the $20 check instead.  How many people actually have their old systems?  I rebought everything pre-N64 within the past 2-4 years!
What a horrible night to have a curse...