Author Topic: "why did I sell that!?"  (Read 1328 times)

GUTS

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »
The vast majority of games do not hold any sort of value, them's the facts.  If Gamestop wants to offer a sweet deal where they pay you more than you could get on ebay for old ass games you don't play anymore, then I think you're f*cking insane to not do it.

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
The vast majority of games do not hold any sort of value, them's the facts.  If Gamestop wants to offer a sweet deal where they pay you more than you could get on ebay for old ass games you don't play anymore, then I think you're f*cking insane to not do it.

"Sweet deal"? Are you f*cking serious? Since when is $3 a sweat deal on anything?

cavein2000

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »
OMG - this thread is done!!
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Black Tiger

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »
Quote from: "cavein2000"
OMG - this thread is done!!

This thread is only getting started.  :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Digi.k

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »
importing has always been expensive...>_<

And I started out long time ago with the pc engine.. I think at that time I had an Amiga 500 with expansion to 1meg and.. turning point then was comparison with the Amiga version of R-Type and the pc engine's...

1987: There were new mail order suppliers of importing pc engines popping up.  One was called PC Engine Supplies (which I think was the first company set up to sell grey imports and stuff).. I didn't quite trust mail order then..  

I got my very first pc engine on import with really bad PAL conversion from some shop called Shekkahna (pretty sure that shop was Arab run based in West End, London city) for about £200 (which is roughly about $400 USD) that was a lot of money to part with then especially since I was still at college and not working). Few years later I upgraded and got hold of CD-Rom with interface.

But when new stuff came out like Super Famicom ended up trading most of the pc engine stuff to get that new Nintendo machine).  I wasn't too keen on the Megadrive then and hated it with contempt.

Then I was going back and fourth part-xchanging:
Duo-R  --> UK SNES  --> Supergrafx --> USA SNES -->Core-grafx II..

I had alot of jp pc engine magazines too especially the one with the big ape for its mascot, I just didn't like the pc engine fan mag but when upgrading to SNES stuff I threw most of my stuff away..

Sadly these all I have left from the pc engine mags..

Lots of new businesses set up with part xchange and stuff and I always did business with CEX (computer Exchange), back then they were known as Toby's for their adverts in magazines). They also imported (and they weren't cheap) I remember Street Fighter Hyper Fighting on the Superfamicom was hitting around £115 per copy (thats like $230 USD)throughout the UK!! CEX also they did great regional conversions on any machine too.

1996 the 32bit era came out and got my first Sega Saturn and traded all 16bit stuff over to that..(that was pretty much hard to do too cause I sure loved my Square games then.. Secret of Mana, FF3, Chrono Trigger and lots of konami classics)

Also got playstation just for FF7 but soon after.. traded it for Saturn games..

1997 I was in Hong Kong just before hand over to china.  picked up brand new N64, starfox and rumble pack and mario kart 64 pretty cheaply over there).

1998 traded every saturn/N64 item for Dreamcast games. (which was heart breaking)!!  I remember being at work and all morning I was calling up this business called Skill Academy (which was some couple that ran their own import games company from their home)!! and it was around noon time they managed to get hold of a few imported Dreamcast machines.. and I faked my sickness to boss telling her that I didn't feel well.. could I take the rest of the day off and quickly headed off to buy my dreamcast spending £500 for brand new jp dreamcast with VF3)..

Dreamcast fever was big! and I remember CEX boasted that they had imported the very first Dreamcast machines into the UK and someone bought it for £2k just to have the privellidge to be the first person in the UK to own it.

Well 2003.. I decided to dig up the past and started collecting the Saturn again (thanks to ebay and some astonishing extortionate prices)

Thanks to eBay I was able to get hold of Taromaru (which wasn't a game I was particularly fond of so after a year I sold it off and made a profit thanks to ebay again)!!!

Had gamecube stuff too but because there wasn't many games to keep me interested sold it all (items in that photo)  and the ps2 gone off to new owners now.. uptill the dreamcast most new technology just didn't do anything for me).  I loved that ASCII keyboard!!

and in 2005 got the pc engine again (although just collecting Hucards for now)..

Right now I'm debating about whether to sell the Dreamcast stuff and make space for 360.. but I just love the music on Street Fighter III 3rd Impact , Jet Set Radio and Daytona USA 2001 plus I'm still fond of Soul Calibur.... *sigh what to do*

I was always spending money like water then.. not really that crazy now since i'm pretty much happy with what I've got..

FM-77

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2006, 12:52:35 PM »
This thread is insane, I love it!

I agree with Zeta - why do you buy games that suck? I've never bought a game that I hate. I don't even have to test it to know that it will be good or not - I just get it, and like it.

I wonder how many times the word "shit" has been used in this thread.  :roll:

Black Tiger

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 01:30:33 PM »
Quote from: "Digi.k"

Sadly these all I have left from the pc engine mags..

I have that Burai flyer! But I'm not 100% on whether I have the exact same ones for II & ED.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »
After the whole 911 thing I, like everyone I know, lost my job. I ended up working at Electronics Boutique for almost two years and in that time I saw people ditch so many systems basically for nothing...it still makes me sad/sick. That place is like a video game slaughterhouse.

People would trade in a DC with a shitload of great stuff and get $30-40 towards the price of an Xbox, which was $300 at the time, and all the (mostly crap) games were $50. Kids were trading in Soul Calibur, F355, Daytona, Shenmue, Jet Grind, etc just to get an Xbox and Star Wars: Obi Wan, and then the parents ask if there are any family oriented games for it...sorry mom, just gory, dark, fanboy crap. It was just nuts. The stupidest thing I ever saw was a guy that traded in a DC with 12 or so games to get a PS2. What was his first PS2 game? Crazy f*cking Taxi, a game he just traded in! That's just plain stupid.

If you are always ditching stuff to "upgrade", then it...sort of makes sense, but when you go back and forth it never adds up. Just keep the stuff. Especially when you are talking about trading classic eternal stuff like PCE Engine, and Saturn for flavor of the month, overpriced garbage like Xbox 360. All that shit is bargain bin-bound.

Digi.k, you've basically paid game shops thousands of £ for them to hold systems for you until you want them back. I have a friend that did this compulsively for a decade or so. He'd sometimes trade a game in after only a week taking a $15-25 loss on it. That's called renting, IMO, only actually renting the game only costs $3. I think the guy owned at least 3-5 of DC, Cube, PS2, PS1, and N64 with a couple of Saturns in there. He spent a few thousand dollars a year on games, far more than me, but he never actually owned more than 7 or 8 games at a time.

The sad thing is that he eventually snapped and now collects only pre-crash stuff. In a way that's perfect since he obviously enjoys spending money more than playing games, and nobody plays that f*cking shit no matter what they say. But at the same time I miss the friend who used to practice Street Fighter so we could play once a week.

The next time you want a new system that will cost you 500 quid, and you have 425, just wait a week and kick the extra £ instead of tossing out an entire collection you’re eventually just going to buy back again.

I traded in almost my entire SNES collection for an N64. I got the sort of trade-in that people only dream of nowadays ($40 for Megaman X2!) but it still hounds me at the greatest gaming-level f*ck-up of all time since the N64 was basically a piece of junk, and the game I lusted for so badly on the machine, Mario Kart 64, utterly sucked compared to version of Mario Kart I traded in for the machine to play the inferior version on. Then there is the fact that those SNES games are still worth money, and the N64 stuff is just taking up space in a trash can someplace.

Digi.k

"why did I sell that!?"
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
Emerald Dragon and Burai 2 are play guides that I've keped.. I wished I kepted the Snatcher and Parodius ones cause they had some amazing screenshots in them.. :(

Quote from: "SignOfZeta"

Digi.k, you've basically paid game shops thousands of £ for them to hold systems for you until you want them back. I have a friend that did this compulsively for a decade or so. He'd sometimes trade a game in after only a week taking a $15-25 loss on it. That's called renting, IMO, only actually renting the game only costs $3. I think the guy owned at least 3-5 of DC, Cube, PS2, PS1, and N64 with a couple of Saturns in there. He spent a few thousand dollars a year on games, far more than me, but he never actually owned more than 7 or 8 games at a time.

Yup thats pretty true..  

My neighbours too used to buy all their stuff but now using blockbusters they just rent a game for 1 month and take it back..

I guess the reason why a lot of the current gen systems don't interest me is that a lot of these current games they just come across as expendable fodder, just after a few weeks play you lose interest and you want to trade it in..

when I look at buying new games and systems I just keep thinking 'will I still be playing this in the next few weeks, months or even years'?...

But the retro stuff I'm just happy I got my pc engine and Saturn back and then some! I intend on keeping these now.. Although I did sell things recently that I wished I hadn't.... like my Magic Knight Rayearth stuff.....

and kinda regret selling Coryoon.. I love the music but I hated the gameplay..  and unlike collectors that just buy stuff and not play their games I like to load mine up and fire away.. and since I didnt like the game it went on ebay.. but I miss the music..

Despite the amount of information available, when it comes to certain obscure games,  that's when the information becomes scarce and you can only rely on word of mouth... and as for buying games that suck... well I guess as that saying goes.. one man's treasure is another man's junk....