Author Topic: Doujindance = CRAP RGB Mods. DONT BUY FROM THIS SELLER (but post pics)  (Read 3922 times)

blueraven

If you have a system that has been fixed by this seller, please post your pics of the inside to this thread. That is the main intention of this post. To show what a trainwreck his work is.  =;

As far as I know, doujindance is NOT a member of our community.

Far be it from me to talk shit about a modder, because I don't offer my services very often, and certainly not commercially, but I have received several systems from this seller, doujindance, over the years. The first was in 2009, a unit purchased on eBay for $250-$270 in the days of the $75 Duo. I had just bought a broken Duo from another popular (and honest) seller, and was looking to fix it. I did, with the help of the amazing community here. I emailed doujindance when I recieved one of their units, and they never responded to my emails on eBay.

It had a spiders nest of wires running to 3 different breadboards, all of which were cobbled together and had no apparent interconnection, other than he ran out of room on the first board. I'm SURE that he understood how the F^$&(#@ thing was wired, but without any sort of reference it was like being in limbo, blindfolded, watching MacGyver, with a coathanger and chewing gum... Except it looked like he applied the gum directly over one of the chips.

Fast-Forward to 7 years later. Recently, about 5 months ago, a forum member (who will remain anonymous unless he want's to share) contacted me in DoxPhile or Sunteam_Paul's chat and sent me internal photos of his unit. I was appalled. It was packed to the brim inside, and had these three boards, all encased in bubble wrap, floating around the system. Nothing made sense. It was a nightmare. It didn't work. We couldn't figure it out in chat. From the photos, the DIN was the only thing wired correctly.

Today I hit my limit. Voultar recently shared this photo with me, a Duo-R or RX on a system received in 2016. this may not seem like Blasphemy, but I would never work on this unit:

This is probably the best I've seen. Keep in mind, this is ten years later, and they've barely improved, other than being "tidier" inside. With a feedback rating of over 1100, I have seen close to a hundred Duo's offered by this seller and we can only imagine they all look the same or much, much worse. They have been a member on eBay since 2007,

http://www.ebay.com/usr/doujindance

The most recent Duo sold was for $449 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-RX-Component-YPbPr-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/201650944965?nma=true&si=djl7wXQufPvPBgNx0Al3Z7mWBMY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

PLEASE POST PHOTOS of the internals of your unit, and share your stories. I will not touch this seller's work with a 20-foot pole. I just have sent them back (eating the shipping) and apologized to the user, saying that I have no freaking clue how the units are wired, and that they should send them back to the seller.

Thank you all for listening to my warning; but If you want a RGB, Region, or mod please contact ANY OTHER MODDER instead of this person. I would name you all, but I wouldn't want to put your amazing work in the same thread as this two-bit hack who has been ripping people off for a decade.

/warning
---

There are so many amazing people here who have contributed to the forums, and to the improvement of the NEC PCE (Duo).
:pray: I owe you all a debt of gratitude, and thank you for your endless contributions to keeping this system alive.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

caw
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:58:53 PM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

mickcris

Re: Doujindance = CRAP RGB Mods. DONT BUY FROM THIS SELLER (but post pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
someone from another board sent me these about a month ago when they wanted to replace the amp in theirs

before

a bit unwrapped with new rgb amp

they said this was bought in 2012 and had svideo/rgb/and region mod

blueraven

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
Thank you, Mickcris.

I know I said I had seen about a hundred or so (on eBay) but on the sellers page, he has advertised that he has refurbished "Over 800 DUO's". He actually lists 780+ Duo-R's, 121 Duo-RX's, and a few others.

He lists the link to this on every one of his auctions and gives the item numbers, directing them back to this website:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/moremaco/record.htm

(And a screenshot for those of you who are boycotting eBay)

The thing that scares me the most is that over 1000 of these units exist in the wild. Multiply that by $400+/- and $80 shipping.  :-k
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 12:24:01 AM »
Those things look like fire hazards!

tbone3969

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
Those things look like fire hazards!

Thank god Keith Courage did my RGB mod.  He did say the region mod installed previously in the system was pretty budget however.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Gentlegamer

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:31:08 AM »
Do the lights dim when those are plugged in and turn on?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:44:56 AM »
Many buyers are happy with his stuff..... right up to the point that something needs fixed.  If everything works, they'll never see the mess inside or care how it was done, which is how he manages to stay in business.

Even if his mods were completed in a more professional manner, I still wouldn't buy from him.  His prices aren't very good, and he's too far away to fix anything if trouble arises; you can ship it back, sure, but that's pricey, slow, and the long shipping risks stuff getting jostled loose.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

mickcris

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:50 AM »
I doubt he would even let you ship it back to him for fix if the need arose.  I recall seeing him say somewhere that he was not a repairman.   

bob

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
wasnt some ass-clown defending duoj on here a while ago?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
Wow. That's genuinely the shittiest work I've ever seen. It's one thing when you're 8 years old, just fixing your own stuff, but if you're going to be doing this professionally for huge profit... this is just theft. Scotch tape and bubble wrap have no place here!

I thought he was a member here at one point. Maybe not. His name gets thrown around a lot.

Keith Courage

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
The chips/mods he uses are not horrible but my biggest gripe is that black/brownish epoxy or whatever that he uses to glue all his wires down/together. It makes it hell to try and repair anything if it ever goes bad. Generally if I have to repair any of his work it's easier to uninstall the initial part by disconnecting everything and put in a new mods instead of trying to find the bad wire/connection that's causing the problem.

Oh and don't get me started on that 8pdt switch he uses for his region mods in black pc engine DUOs. He hot glues them right to the motherboard. It makes it hell to line up and re-glue this switch after performing any other repair to the system. Not to mention the fun of having to remove it in order to recap the system. Hot glue for switches is fine. Just not over the top of parts that might need to be changed at some point(Caps).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:10:20 AM by Keith Courage »

mickcris

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »
I think that's the Hong Kong game dr that uses these 8pdt switches, not duojindance.  They should come off pretty easily with isopropyl alcohol.  I imagine they are a pain to line back up though
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:28:40 AM by mickcris »

csgx1

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
Damn, what a mess.  Almost looks like someone was trying to smuggle something with all the plastic wrap. 

Keith Courage

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »

I think that's the Hong Kong game dr that uses these 8pdt switches, not duojindance.  They should come off pretty easily with isopropyl alcohol.  I imagine they are a pain to line back up though

I've seen this done by both of those sellers. maybe he doesn't do it on the newer ones that he sells nowadays but definitely some of the older ones.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:01:29 PM by Keith Courage »

esteban

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
There was an older thread documenting "the worst mods"  Hall of Shame...

It would worthwhile to link to it and/or copy paste verified info into this thread.

:)

THIS NEEDS to be a PSA (public service announcement)....
  |    |