Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27237 times)

MNKyDeth

Re: Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
edited

I am a douche and a cumbag, sorry fr donations and uprating vids. I am on both of your guys sides..........
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:24:22 PM by MNKyDeth »

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
So I see that this game will be featured at PRGE this year. Do you guys know where you will be having your booth?

NightWolve

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
Moving on from the latest distraction... Downward trend averted, upward and onward since!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sarumaru/henshin-engine-the-game-pc-engine-tg-16-pc-steam

383 backers
$26,089 pledged
3 days to go

Any bets on if the $28k stretch goal can be reached ? I'm not confident in taking such a bet either way, but this is a very respectable outcome so far however it finishes off!

I really hope the music composer can bring more top notch tracks like his first one, I really enjoyed listening to it. Big reason I backed the project.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
If we hit the next goal before the limit is up.  I will donate a PCE Duo in a raffle.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:38:22 PM by MNKyDeth »

esteban

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »
I might raise my pledge to next level...
  |    | 

hoobs88

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
Never noticed this thread before... but I got 2 emails earlier today and just pledged.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Dr.Wily

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Why this game does not use chip music instead redbook audio ?

esteban

Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:02 AM »
Why this game does not use chip music instead redbook audio ?

Because Henshin Engine is awesome.

The only time I was OK with an *exclusively* chip (PSG) soundtrack on a CD-ROM was when (1) all the data was used for Red Book audio accompanying cinemas and/or (2) all the data was used for compressed video...

Otherwise, I was always disappointed when a developer didn't take advantage of the opportunity for Red Book soundtrack.

Now, many games used a variety of methods to overcome data constraints...mixing some PSG tunes (for towns, menus) and saving Red Book for "more important" stages...Ys Book I & II immediately comes to mind—an excellent blending of chiptunes (towns, passwords) and Red Book (for bumping death action). Sadly, some ADPCM voice samples in Ys I & II are much lower quality than Red Book audio accompanying the cinemas...a testament to how much data is squeezed on to the disc. But would I sacrifice any of the Red Book songs from Ys I & II?

HELL NO.

In short, the Henshin Engine soundtrack blends the best of both worlds—PSG "inspired" songs that have the chiptune aesthetic at their core, but with composer free to be more creative than a purely PSG soundtrack.

I hear you, though... It would be amazing to have a complete Red Book *and* PSG soundtrack that could be switched back and forth "on the fly" (see Vasteel)... But that would be placing a *ridiculous* additional burden on an already-burdened development team.

ALSO: The reason why Vasteel offered two soundtrack options was *fundamentally* PRACTICAL: PSG tunes sped up gameplay (turn-based war simulation), which was a concern. Yes, it also offered some variety (some battles were very long, it's nice to change tunes) and finally, not everyone digs Vasteel's  "space jazz" Red Book soundtrack.

I apologize for my brief response.

:)

SUMMARY: Henshin Engine soundtrack is reason *alone* to get this game.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:01:59 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:50 AM »
If you use Redbook, you can record whatever sound you want, you could even make sound like a PSG track if you wanted, inefficient as it is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sarumaru/henshin-engine-the-game-pc-engine-tg-16-pc-steam

We're up to 393 today, crossing over 400 backers could happen! Betting on the next stretch goal appears a safer bet now too!

The real bummer is not that poor Joe and me as mods/admins got 3 emails, but that 2500 members (half of 5000) here got 0, they are inaccessible to the newsletter email system for whatever reasons...

Before I was rudely interrupted, I was looking into the problem, and had another idea to export all email addresses and write a custom email script in PHP. SMF doesn't have an export option for that and I don't feel like bothering for workarounds now anyways... So, that's too bad, 2500 people can't be emailed, might've translated to another 20-25 pledges...

DarkKobold

« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2016, 03:00:53 AM »
We're up to 393 today, crossing over 400 backers could happen! Betting on the next stretch goal appears a safer bet now too!

We?
Hey, you.

NightWolve

« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:31 AM »
What, I can't be proud of 'em and think of this as a team effort by us PCE fans ?? ;)

As a $65 backer, I'm technically an investor of the project, and will receive an "investor" credit essentially for helping to fund it. I didn't predict I would also help with marketing, I got the idea partly to help counteract the sabotage effort by that DreamCast UK site...

Desh

« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:14 AM »
I sense balance returning to the force.

NightWolve

« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »

401 backers
$27,206 pledged
71 hours to go (72 = 3 days)

"We" as proud PCE backers are now 401 strong! That better, DarkKo ?? Although, subtract a % off who only care about some DreamCast port.

I'm more willing to take that bet on crossing over the 2nd stretch goal! :P

esadajr

« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
If you use Redbook, you can record whatever sound you want, you could even make sound like a PSG track if you wanted, inefficient as it is.

The real bummer is not that poor Joe and me as mods/admins got 3 emails, but that 2500 members (half of 5000) here got 0, they are inaccessible to the newsletter email system for whatever reasons...

Before I was rudely interrupted, I was looking into the problem, and had another idea to export all email addresses and write a custom email script in PHP. SMF doesn't have an export option for that and I don't feel like bothering for workarounds now anyways... So, that's too bad, 2500 people can't be emailed, might've translated to another 20-25 pledges...

I don't have the option to "allow others to email me" ticked and only got the second email. So your efforts might have worked.
Gaming since 1985

NightWolve

« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:37 AM »
Yeah, turns out that option wasn't the problem though.

That just protects your email address from other members. My account had the same setting, I had it off too - I did that when guest viewing was enabled here because when you click somebody's profile, the email address is in cleartext on a HTML page, which easily allows your email to be picked up by spambots...

But anyway, the email queue still showed me ~2500 members being processed instead of 5000, so there was still an issue/bug.