Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27143 times)

SmokeMonster

Re: Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #345 on: April 20, 2017, 05:05:57 AM »
It keeps getting better and better.

esteban

« Reply #346 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:55 AM »
SPIN, Yuki, spin.
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
Images released to the dev team last night.

esteban

Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »
:) ...or should I say: 

Yes.
  |    | 

Michirin9801

« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »
Looks awesome, but is the background in this section gonna be just that plain blue and nothingness? Or are you gonna put sprites behind the BG to decorate it and add some parallax? Maybe decorate it with some dynamic tiles?

sirhcman

« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »

nodtveidt

« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
There is supposed to be a more complex sky but it had to be cut out of the first section due to it running way over available memory. It might fit in the tree area, but it might break consistency if added in there. No way to know for sure unless I add it in, so that is on my todo list for this week's work. Its absence is especially visible when you reach the areas with moving platforms, as seen below.

esteban

« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:05 AM »
The pain of cutting Cloud.
  |    | 

Michirin9801

« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »
There is supposed to be a more complex sky but it had to be cut out of the first section due to it running way over available memory. It might fit in the tree area, but it might break consistency if added in there. No way to know for sure unless I add it in, so that is on my todo list for this week's work. Its absence is especially visible when you reach the areas with moving platforms, as seen below.

I see... Would it be a bad idea to cut down just a little bit on whatever is taking up that much memory so that you can add in detail in that sky?
I don't mean to be picky or anything, but all the other areas in the game I've seen thus far have had such luscious detail on the BGs that they're kinda sorely missed in here >w>

nodtveidt

« Reply #354 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Well, take this scene, for example...

There is supposed to be a complex sky here. However, the number of unique tiles in this area required me to remove it to fit in the normal background details. Here, it wasn't such a big deal to remove it, as there is still plenty of detail. But these are two different areas... the volcano section and the part with the 45 degree slopes are one area, this tree section is the next area. There should be still space in the tree section to add in the sky and clouds, but even as such, it's going to require a lot of additional unique tiles to fill in said level of detail. We do what we can to make things as detailed as is feasible, but when you're dealing with a system with only one background plane and have graphics clearly intended for more than one, you have to do a lot of additional work to make things go together properly. A single variation change on something as seemingly simple as a tree branch will cost you numerous additional tiles, and that's for just one variation... the sky has numerous potential variations in it, meaning that the tile count will multiply.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:26:30 AM by The Old Rover »

spenoza

« Reply #355 on: April 25, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
If you don't mind making the volcano symmetrical, couldn't you just flip the tiles for the other side? You could assign a different palette to it to still try for different shading.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Black Tiger

« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
If you don't mind making the volcano symmetrical, couldn't you just flip the tiles for the other side? You could assign a different palette to it to still try for different shading.

PCE only flips sprites.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
Is it possible to use the same tile multiple times with different palettes? If so you could use a single tile to make the background gradient from bottom to top which would eliminate that solid color look you have now, which might satiate Michirin's concern?

nodtveidt

« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
Is it possible to use the same tile multiple times with different palettes? If so you could use a single tile to make the background gradient from bottom to top which would eliminate that solid color look you have now, which might satiate Michirin's concern?
Not with HuC. You'd have to have your own mapper routine for that.

Gredler

« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
Not with HuC. You'd have to have your own mapper routine for that.

Well darn, it'd be a lot cooler if you could! ;)