Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27095 times)

nodtveidt

Re: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #690 on: January 16, 2018, 03:31:47 AM »
I wrote this on Facebook at the start of the year but figured I'd fill in whoever doesn't read that trash site...

This is going to be my last game for awhile. I am completely burned out. I am trying my hardest to stay focused enough to finish this off but it's not been easy in the slightest. Once it's finally done with, Saru will supply the final sprites for Lucretia and we'll get that out too (the game is done, I can literally just drop in the sprites and rebuild the finished product in one command line entry), but after that, I'm done for awhile. I am taking the rest of 2018 off to focus on my own company which has exactly zero to do with game coding. I was considering retiring completely, but I'll be back to coding one more time in 2019 when we develop FX-Unit Yuki 2.

turboswimbz

« Reply #691 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:54 AM »
Rove,

I look forward to these two games.

enjoy your much needed R&R.

Turbolove too ya

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

esteban

« Reply #692 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
I wrote this on Facebook at the start of the year but figured I'd fill in whoever doesn't read that trash site...

This is going to be my last game for awhile. I am completely burned out. I am trying my hardest to stay focused enough to finish this off but it's not been easy in the slightest. Once it's finally done with, Saru will supply the final sprites for Lucretia and we'll get that out too (the game is done, I can literally just drop in the sprites and rebuild the finished product in one command line entry), but after that, I'm done for awhile. I am taking the rest of 2018 off to focus on my own company which has exactly zero to do with game coding. I was considering retiring completely, but I'll be back to coding one more time in 2019 when we develop FX-Unit Yuki 2.

Thank you for everything, comrade.

:)

|    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #693 on: January 26, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »
Having a problem finishing up the code. Can't get a f*cking slope algorithm working adequately and it's pissing me right the f*ck off. It's almost working but it's glitchy as f*ck and it's driving me insane. I am positive that the math is correct but it still won't work no matter what I do.

TheOldMan

« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
Can't get a f*cking slope algorithm working adequately and it's pissing me right the f*ck off. It's almost working but it's glitchy as f*ck...

First rule of debugging: describe the problem as exactly as possible.

What is glitchy?
  Is it returning bad values?
  In what cases?
  What inputs make it fail?

Does it work by itself?
  Is it overflowing?

etc...

nodtveidt

« Reply #695 on: January 27, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
No clue. All I know is that my math is right and this is confirmed on a logic calculator. I calculate the character's slope collision position (X+16, Y+32) within the tile by using their absolute position in the world and using bitwise AND against 0xF, which gives me the position within a 16x16 tile. That allows me to normalize their position within the tile, which is done when the character lands on the slope (otherwise, they'd just fall through it). Then, when the character is within the bounds of a slope tile, the code raises or lowers them based on the direction of the slope and the direction of the move. Except... it doesn't actually work properly all the time. It works great if there is no actual correction required (like walking along the ground and entering a slope... this works perfectly) but when correction is required, it doesn't correct the position properly and the character often gets stuck at peaks, bounces down the slope, etc. It's very frustrating.

Code: [Select]
Tilemap arrangement for a slope in 4-1

O  S /
   /
S/
/   O

^^ ok that representation sucks but meh.

To calc the collision position within the tile:
Code: [Select]
tileX = yukiX + vmapx + 16;
tileY = yukiY + vmapy + 32;
^^^ this works every time
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:27:50 AM by The Old Rover »

esteban

« Reply #696 on: January 27, 2018, 02:42:06 AM »
Bounces down the slope Darkwing Duck style? Damn.

Good luck!
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2018, 10:37:47 AM »
Not f*cking around with it any more. f*ck it. It's close enough. I have spent countless hours on this problem alone and this game is never gonna be finished if I keep f*cking with it, so f*ck it. Finishing off the last of the data entry for the fifth stage tonight and that will be the end of it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
It's not a big deal in the latest version I've played. When it does happen, it doesn't affect gameplay in a significant way. It just makes you think "heh" for a second as you continue through the stage at the same pace.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tw3ek

« Reply #699 on: February 05, 2018, 06:20:50 AM »
Wasn't this supposed to be done like 5 months ago? Run Saru out of town!  :P

Black Tiger

« Reply #700 on: February 05, 2018, 06:33:17 AM »
Buddyface's second to last post:

Always nice when someone feels so entitled to information that they act like this. Good luck getting any real answers now, but you do have only yourself to blame.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #701 on: February 05, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
Wasn't this supposed to be done like 5 months ago? Run Saru out of town!  :P

I'm sorry everyone. Unfortunately, I can't program otherwise I'd help. I was under the impression that there wasn't much left to do but since I don't program, Rover would be the best person to say for sure.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #702 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:32 AM »
Pffft, five months is nothing.  It might be late, but there's been lots of updates, obvious progress, and it looks sweet.

Contrast that with the Saber Rider f*cktard where updates are few and far between, the main game is more than a year late and presumably nowhere near complete, and the PCE port hasn't been started at all.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Galad

« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Pffft, five months is nothing. 

Agreed,majority of people who don't program haven't have a good grasp/concept on this.On the other hand no date of 100% completion should ever be given as things can change.All programmers,artist,musicians have lives outside of personal projects,we sometimes forget this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:40:50 AM by Galad »

Galad

« Reply #704 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
I'm sorry everyone. Unfortunately, I can't program otherwise I'd help.
I'm sure your aware of this already but the programmer(s) have the largest most difficult task out of everyone on the project.The task of putting a novel together with massive writings from others and then spell checking each word....in none programmers terms.