Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27070 times)

nodtveidt

Re: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #735 on: February 20, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »
RC2 testing is underway. So far, no issues. This may be it.

spenoza

« Reply #736 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
You ever make slope movement smoother?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #737 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:19 AM »
Sorta gave up on it. It worked "well enough" and I didn't wanna drag this out any longer. Besides, we can always just chalk it up to "Geni's meddling". :lol:

nodtveidt

« Reply #738 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
The lockup glitch still exists. It's not really locking up the console per se, what it's doing is pausing the game when the stage starts and then double-pressing Run if you press it, so it advances one frame and that's it. It's unclear to me why this is happening but it only happens in one stage.

nodtveidt

« Reply #739 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
We solved the lockup glitch. Two glitches remain that may require at least a partial rewrite of the relevant functions. It shouldn't take too long. This exhaustive testing is required before we can put the game out... it should be as bug-free as possible before it goes to manufacturing. We're not EA after all. :lol:

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #740 on: February 21, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
You can do it Nod, you're sooooo close, Rover don't fail us now! :D

nodtveidt

« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
The guys are going to test the final build a bit more over the weekend, but it looks like we got all of the major issues taken care of. RC3 required one revision but that's it. RC2 required five revisions in total. If this build is clean, then all it takes is one line of code to be uncommented to make the build release-ready.

nodtveidt

« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2018, 02:37:35 AM »
There were no reports of any issues in the latest build. So that's that... it's done. It'll be off to press shortly.

In the meanwhile, I've already starting planning a new game engine for any future platformers that might come along. This one worked well, but was limited in terms of environmental shaping... that really showed when it came time to do slopes. This new game engine design is based on subtile collision micromapping, as opposed to the Yuki engine which is based on whole tile collision, so true pixel-perfect collision can be done, and things like slopes are a freakin' breeze. It's a bit more math-intensive, but the PCE isn't a mathematics lightweight so I don't really see it being much of an issue.

Jester82

« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2018, 04:59:17 AM »
Awesome! Super excited to finally play this beast. Great job as always and so happy to have awesome people making awesome games for our beloved forgotten relics :)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

In the meanwhile, I've already starting planning a new game engine for any future platformers that might come along.

My question is, would it be usable for Jungle Bros.? :)

nodtveidt

« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »
In theory, yes. But I don't see that being resurrected anytime soon, as I gave the project to another coder.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Yeah, Tom IIRC, though he's been MIA, I hope he's ok.  Maybe just busy with RL stuffs like alot of us!

nodtveidt

« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
The digital album is now available for purchase on Bandcamp.

https://garbledwaves.bandcamp.com/releases

The send-off was held back for a few more days for some further testing after a couple of code changes. Good thing too, because we found an obscure, game-breaking bug late in the game, and a minor gameplay mechanics issue as well. It's all been patched up now.

Gredler

« Reply #748 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »
GMC INC!

exodus

« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Well done!! try to forgive yourself in advance for the inevitable bugs that are found. that's my experience at least :P