Author Topic: NES classic  (Read 12495 times)

jperryss

Re: NES classic
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
Quote from: Medic_wheat
I have put off buying a NES everdrive. Might as well pull the trigger I don't think there can be any more improvements.

As for the SNES everdrive is it finally 100% rom comparable or still room for imrpovmemt?

The SD2SNES is an upgrade from the Super Everdrive and plays just about everything except for some of the special chip games. Megaman x2 and x3 work, but no Starfox or Yoshi's Island.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Lots of fakes on eBay, btw.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:02:04 PM by jperryss »

xelement5x

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
I like how people are shitting their tits like they missed out on something marvelous now that it's discontinued.

buy an NES and an everdrive.   JFC.

I have put off buying a NES everdrive. Might as well pull the trigger I don't think there can be any more improvements.

As for the SNES everdrive is it finally 100% rom comparable or still room for imrpovmemt?

SD2SNES is the best option, it's not 100% but the handful of games that aren't supported are pretty small.  Plus the SD2SNES lets you mess around with those game/hacks that are huge and basically have full video.

EDIT: SD2SNES is also freely available though so you needn't buy through Krikzz or SAG, the design and info are out there so that anyone can build one. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:26:51 AM by xelement5x »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esadajr

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »
Quote from: Medic_wheat

The SD2SNES is an upgrade from the Super Everdrive and plays just about everything except for some of the special chip games. Megaman x2 and x3 work, but no Starfox or Yoshi's Island.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Lots of fakes on eBay, btw.

Aww man, no PGA Tour 96.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
Aww man, no PGA Tour 96.

I know you are joking but its good to remember that the SD2SNES uses a FPGA to mimic these special chips. It's not out of the realm of possibility that compatibility for these chips will be added in future firmware updates

crazydean

« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
Aww man, no PGA Tour 96.

I know you are joking but its good to remember that the SD2SNES uses a FPGA to mimic these special chips. It's not out of the realm of possibility that compatibility for these chips will be added in future firmware updates

While this is technically true, I believe it has been a few years since compatibility has changed for the SD2SNES, no?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

xelement5x

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »
Aww man, no PGA Tour 96.

While this is technically true, I believe it has been a few years since compatibility has changed for the SD2SNES, no?

Yeah, the author even mentions that including support for all cheater chips is unlikely given the power of the FPGA in the device, they were reaching the upper limit for support already give what the other additional chips do.  Really, of the handful of US games that aren't supported most are still pretty cheap if you MUST play them.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

jperryss

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2017, 04:19:54 AM »
SD2SNES is the best option, it's not 100% but the handful of games that aren't supported are pretty small.  Plus the SD2SNES lets you mess around with those game/hacks that are huge and basically have full video.

It's pretty wild playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES with the cutscenes from the PS1 version.

There are some cool MSU music hacks also.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »

It's pretty wild playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES with the cutscenes from the PS1 version.

I'd like to mix in about 3 seconds of Goku floating on a cloud into it and see if anyone notices.
--DragonmasterDan

seieienbu

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »

Yeah, the author even mentions that including support for all cheater chips is unlikely given the power of the FPGA in the device, they were reaching the upper limit for support already give what the other additional chips do.  Really, of the handful of US games that aren't supported most are still pretty cheap if you MUST play them.

Really, the only exception to this is Starfox 2.  That's a game that I'd love to play on actual hardware but given how it wasn't ever released the options are limited to flash carts or reproductions.  If the FX chip isn't supported on flash carts?  Well, that limits the options even further to a repro or nothing.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Groover

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
if you want FX games I heard someone has made a FX cart that has all the FX games on one cart. https://www.retrocircuits.com/product/super-fx-all-in-one/

But you might be better off just buying all the FX games you want unless you want Starfox 2 then this might work out to about even

Digi.k

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
Picked this up while in Hong Kong

zetastrike

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2017, 02:25:08 AM »
I got the Everdrive N8 for my Famicom back in December.  I'd say it's totally worth it.  The last time I did a count, only about ~38 games were incompatible and none of them were anything I was interested in playing.  There's a list on krikkz's forum.  I was thrilled to be able to play Akumajou Densetsu with the extended audio.  It's great to play hacks on real hardware, especially all the Mega Man stuff that comes out. 

It's too bad that the FC/NES is one of those systems that just rubs me the wrong way.  I don't know if it's because I didn't have one until I was 12 years old or that many of the genres were done much better in the following generation, but I have a really hard time getting into it. 

TheClash603

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
Picked this up while in Hong Kong

I was playing this thing yesterday and it made me wish I had longer arms.

Gredler

« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35:39 AM »
Gotta have some Trump hands to enjoy those controllers I imagine

Digi.k

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »

I was playing this thing yesterday and it made me wish I had longer arms.

thinking about ordering a 2-3 metre long HDMI cable

Gotta have some Trump hands to enjoy those controllers I imagine