Author Topic: RetroBlox : Another new Play-Everything "Retro" Console  (Read 9520 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: RetroBlox : Another new Play-Everything "Retro" Console
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
I agree that adding a CD-ROM makes a big difference but I don't trust these people. Way WAY too much talking and hyping and almost zero reality whatsoever. The design of the thing sorta hints that they don't understand what retro retro retro retro really is about. Nobody who loves retro loves the fact that the two main game systems nowadays look virtually identical and design-less. We certainly don't want another chicken shit designer's ultra cautious featureless block. Make it red and chrome and call it the Wonderkind or something. f*ck. Try.

Also, PSX is the lingo of forum trash and the ghosts of people who died in 1993. If they were to be taken seriously they should use consistent nomenclature at least within the same paragraph. PlayStation is to Turbo Grafx 16 as PSX is to Turbob. If you're worried about legal action from Sony then use Diehard Gamefan approved abbreviations for the other systems you support as well.

Btw, who's excited about OHMYGOD playing PlayStation games? Is that actually a problem for anyone? Can't someone still buy a PS with an RGB cable for like $38? While it is the most popular CD based system it's also the least appealing given other available avenues. I mean...I have a PS3 and it does a pretty decent job upscaling and sending it out over HDMI. Is this thing targeted at non-PS3 owners?

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
Although I would use "Playstation" in a press releases like that, "PSX" is no worse than "NES" which is also used. It's all part of their "we're hardcore like you!" pitch that they alone want backing for.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
NES has been officially used by Nintendo to describe the Nintendo Entertainment system on thousands of occasions. Sony never uses PSX to refer to the PlayStation on the box, in the manual, in the TV comercial, or anyplace else to refer to this system. PSX is two things: a term Sony used to describe the system before it had a launch date or final design and dropped from everything official long before it was actually released save for the model number and 2) a special version of the PlayStation 2 that actually was called PSX exactly. The reason they felt comfortable using the name then is probably because they had never sold anything with that name before.

The real question is why forum dwellers never used PSX2, PSX3, PSX4, PSXP, PSXVita, etc. Maybe they think x=1?

Punch

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
PSX.

elmer

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
I will take that bet. A half-gallon of rum to the winner?

Naughty-naughty, you're trading on insider information!  :lol:

Apparently, the prototype is supposed to be on show and playable at the Socal Retro Gaming Expo this weekend.

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
NES has been officially used by Nintendo to describe the Nintendo Entertainment system on thousands of occasions. Sony never uses PSX to refer to the PlayStation on the box, in the manual, in the TV comercial, or anyplace else to refer to this system. PSX is two things: a term Sony used to describe the system before it had a launch date or final design and dropped from everything official long before it was actually released save for the model number and 2) a special version of the PlayStation 2 that actually was called PSX exactly. The reason they felt comfortable using the name then is probably because they had never sold anything with that name before.

The real question is why forum dwellers never used PSX2, PSX3, PSX4, PSXP, PSXVita, etc. Maybe they think x=1?

Pretending to not understand why PSX has been used since before the Playstation was released is forum trash behaviour, on par with insisting that the PC Engine is an 8-bit generation console.

The console that most people call "SMS" or "Sega Master System" was officially titled the "Power Base" and the overall library title was later adjusted to reflect what people often incorrectly called it. But you don't correct people who type "SMS".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Naughty-naughty, you're trading on insider information!  :lol:

Desh

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
I bet they don't have a working prototype ready for their Kickstarter date and try to fund on indiegogo...

P.S. WTF do they mean by hybrid emulation? 

I will take that bet. A half-gallon of rum to the winner?

Also, hybrid emu means a human-emu hybrid clone. Fox news warned us it was coming!

My original post was in jest rather than being serious.  I only found out this was a thing a couple of days ago and haven't heard much about it.  I probably would have known longer but I haven't been on the DoxPhiles for awhile due to kids and other projects.  Will you guys welcome me back with open arms?

sirhcman

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Will you guys welcome me back with open arms?

go sit in the corner with arjak!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »

Pretending to not understand why PSX has been used since before the Playstation was released is forum trash behaviour, on par with insisting that the PC Engine is an 8-bit generation console.

The console that most people call "SMS" or "Sega Master System" was officially titled the "Power Base" and the overall library title was later adjusted to reflect what people often incorrectly called it. But you don't correct people who type "SMS".

Whatever I'm doing, "pretending not to know why" isn't it. I know why. It's because the letter X was really cool on the 90s and old habits are hard to break.

elmer

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
Also helps that one of the guys heading up the project is a DoxPhiler. :D if I remember correctly, each module is a clone of the original hardware, kind of like the AVS for NES. Read for yourselves, though.... I am a drunkard and might be remembering things wrong.

For me, at least, and I certainly can't speak for everyone, it's not whether there's any sense in the basic idea. It's all about the motivations and the actual real-world implementation.

When the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???

The guys seem *far* more capable and clued-in than Mike Kenneddy and his team, but (IMHO) they still seem to be pushing a "solution" that is looking for "problem".

Perhaps I'm just far too cynical, and stupidly-wrong. It wouldn't  be the first time.

In the meantime, that press-release sounds just like this ...

Gredler

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
I may've been watching too much Star Trek lately, but I lol'd at that too hard. :P

My main questions for this thing are

1) Does it provide online multiplayer and online friends / match making for that? My brother bought a house in Colorado recently, so it looks like if I am in San Diego forever as I hope to be, no more multiplayer
with him , unless we both wrangle together a emulator solution.

2) Is the hardware emulation closer to a retron 5 or an AVS? If this thing is a great as I hear the AVS is but for more systems, I would be happy to have something that let me easily play my carts / ancient discs (and more importantly flash cards and burned backups) on a HMDI TV that would save me from updating any of my systems (I currently only play on one specific CRT, and it'd be nice to play elsewhere in the house).

3) Price

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »
Sounds like a repeat of the Laseractive but with Retro all over it and no Laserdisc support.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
When the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???

You got some links?  This sound hilarious.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no