Author Topic: RetroBlox : Another new Play-Everything "Retro" Console  (Read 9484 times)

Punch

Re: RetroBlox : Another new Play-Everything "Retro" Console
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »
edit: I changed my mind and there's no reason to keep the original post around. See the other post in this thread.

Good luck to the RetroBlox team and dangdang.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:14:48 AM by Punch »

Punch

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:37 AM »
edit: see above.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:16:09 AM by Punch »

Michirin9801

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 04:06:31 AM »
I would be happy to have something that let me easily play my carts / ancient discs (and more importantly flash cards and burned backups) on a HMDI TV [...]
Isn't the whole point of flash carts and burned CDs playing roms and ISOs in real hardware? If you wanna play ROMs and ISOs on your TV with a controller, but don't care what you play it on, you might as well go with a much cheaper and better solution that's already out and readily available, like a Raspberry Pi with Retro Pi in it, or a hacked Wii/Xbox/PSP/3DS, whichever one you prefer, or you could simply hook up your PC to your TV and buy one of these: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61hX6A3NooL._SL1500_.jpg
and then emulate the games in full screen on your TV, heck, you could even use some cool CRT filters that way (unless you're actually hooking your PC up to a CRT like I do)

If you have a game collection and want to play said games, I'd assume you also have the real hardware to play them on, but I can understand wanting to play them through HDMI without modding your older consoles, in which case yeah, go right ahead, but I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:10:33 AM by Michirin9801 »

ChuChu Flamingo

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 04:19:58 AM »
but think of how much space it will save on my stand!

elmer

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 04:41:48 AM »
When the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???

You got some links?  This sound hilarious.

I was wrong, it's not a "hack" of their website, just a scouring through Google's cache of their website. Sorry!  :oops:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261689-retroblox/

First page, from user xiaNaix. He posts a bunch of stuff over a few pages.

Sounds like that would be a pretty kickass deal for homebrewers, IMO.  Seems like it would help to expand their product visibility.  Profit motive isn't inherently evil.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a bit of profit ... it helps to keep a company alive.

But, is the profit on a few homebrew sales going to be enough to keep someone's DRM servers up-and-running for the next 30 years?

How do you go from a console idea that absolutely fetishizes original cartridges and CDs, that people can display and trade and take around to their friend's house ... to a digital-download that's locked to a particular machine, with an unknown hardware lifespan because of all of that plugging-and-unplugging of those emulation-modules (or whatever they're called)?

I've got the impression that the folks that are buying homebrew for old consoles actually *want* it delivered on a real cart/CD to add to their collection.

Perhaps it's a brilliant idea, and I'm just missing the point.

But the whole idea suddenly raises the question of "what are these guys wanting to do?", and are they trying to use KickStarter to fund a "company", like the RetroVGS guys wanted to do?

If so, just where is their paywall going to be, and what compelling reason can they give for folks to buy into it?

And how can they convince folks that their business model is stronger than Ouya's?

I guess that we'll find out more over the coming weeks when they release more information.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:43:41 AM by elmer »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 05:03:25 AM »
How would this expand product visibility for homebrewers, if the people who are likely going to buy this are already fans of *insert console here*, and likely already know about homebrew activities for said console?

I don't get it.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 05:42:03 AM »
The NeoSD flashcart for Neo Geo is the way to do digital sales for homebrew. Each one is serialized and roms can be made to only work on a particular NeoSD.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 06:44:01 AM »
Sounds like that would be a pretty kickass deal for homebrewers, IMO.  Seems like it would help to expand their product visibility.  Profit motive isn't inherently evil.

True.  I mostly thought it was funny because if a homebrewer wants a secure digital download system, why not package their game with an emulator and go with Steam, PSN, etc. to reach a far larger audience?  I can't imagine there's that many homebrewers clamoring for digital downloads for fake retro systems that relatively few own instead of making real carts/cds for real systems that everyone already owns.

Also, DRM is pretty much always pointless.  No matter if it's encrypted, relies on always connected server connections, or whatever, someone will crack it, making it only onerous for the paying customers.

.... I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs.

Why can't I want it for both the games I own and those I don't?  I could buy another flashcart (I'm too lazy to move one from room to room) and burn piles of cdrs, true, but that's quite a bit more expense and effort for zero gain.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
I agree that real retro gamers want shelf candy.

For posuers like me, on systems I don't follow or care to buy shelves for, it would be nice to have a market where I could see all the Sega watermelons I didn't know about and just buy interesting ones right there. Sure, I could Google, research, buy from a shady site with no SSL or pirate for homebrews.... But I only go through that hassle for turbobs.

That's a pretty sad generalization about homebrews in general. Almost every site I've seen dealing with homebrews has a valid SSL cert or handles purchases through paypal, a good percentage of homebrews never get a "shelf candy" release, some even do a pay-what-you-want ROM sale through itch.io, and these ROM files go into evil, inexpensive non-retroblox emulation machines or into the real deal through an everdrive pretty much all the time.
"or pirate for homebrews" yes because this is clearly the only option in a world where commercial homebrews are sold in ROM format or dumpable at home with sub $50 devices.

You have a good point about centralizing homebrews for better visibility, but why did you had to play the COLLECTARD card instead of acknowledging the valid skepticism that surrounds this press release? Sad!

Punch

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
I agree that real retro gamers want shelf candy.

For posuers like me, on systems I don't follow or care to buy shelves for, it would be nice to have a market where I could see all the Sega watermelons I didn't know about and just buy interesting ones right there. Sure, I could Google, research, buy from a shady site with no SSL or pirate for homebrews.... But I only go through that hassle for turbobs.

That's a pretty sad generalization about homebrews in general. Almost every site I've seen dealing with homebrews has a valid SSL cert or handles purchases through paypal, a good percentage of homebrews never get a "shelf candy" release, some even do a pay-what-you-want ROM sale through itch.io, and these ROM files go into evil, inexpensive non-retroblox emulation machines or into the real deal through an everdrive pretty much all the time.
"or pirate for homebrews" yes because this is clearly the only option in a world where commercial homebrews are sold in ROM format or dumpable at home with sub $50 devices.

You have a good point about centralizing homebrews for better visibility, but why did you had to play the COLLECTARD card instead of acknowledging the valid skepticism that surrounds this press release? Sad!

Grache was right about you, crooked Punch. Such a nasty Brazilian!

Brazilian Jew, don't omit the jew part :lol:

Michirin9801

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 07:47:54 AM »
.... I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs.
Why can't I want it for both the games I own and those I don't?
I'm not saying you can't 'want' one, but the rest of my previous post already makes my point...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »
I'm not saying you can't 'want' one, but the rest of my previous post already makes my point...

Right, but your point doesn't address the question of "what if I want to play what I own, AND play stuff I don't own?"

Someone might have a nice SNES collection, but is missing say, Chrono Trigger or Earthbound.

This could consolidate all of their stuff, and let them also pop ROMs/ISOs on it.

Sure, you could just ditch it all, including your already owned carts/cds, and use an emu-box PC, but then you lose your saves/carts, etc.

If I want to fire up and dick off in Secret of Mana, I'd rather use my cartridge with a save on it, as opposed to starting over.

Michirin9801

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
Right, but your point doesn't address the question of "what if I want to play what I own, AND play stuff I don't own?"
Isn't that what they'd get a Flash Cart for? I mean, that post was already an answer to gredler wanting to put a flash cart in it, and as I said before, isn't the whole point of flash carts playing the ROMs in real hardware?

The only reason I could see someone wanting to get a system like this is on an AVS-like situation, where they want to play their games through HDMI without having to mod their old systems, in that case, as I said before, go right ahead!
However if you just want to play ROMs on your TV, there are other reliable methods readily available...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
And like Gredler and myself have said, it's not an either or type of thing.  I'd want to play my real games on a modern TV and play games I don't own, homebrew stuff, translation patches, etc. and I'd rather not go through the expense and hassle of another flashcart or burning cdrs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
Isn't that what they'd get a Flash Cart for? I mean, that post was already an answer to gredler wanting to put a flash cart in it, and as I said before, isn't the whole point of flash carts playing the ROMs in real hardware?

That doesn't address CD hardware.  There's no flash cart for ISOs on PCE, etc.

and as I said, the flash cart doesn't have my save files present.   Sometimes you just want to play Star Road without beating all of SMW again.