Author Topic: Castlevania series coming to Netflix  (Read 2675 times)

seieienbu

Re: Castlevania series coming to Netflix
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
From the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this “super violent” Castlevania cartoon as “dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.”"

So yeah, f*ck this stupid shit.

Well maybe they are going to go back to Lost Boys type vampires and less Twilight type vampires. That's not all bad, right?

Or perhaps it will be similar to Vampire Hunter D.  I saw it back when I was in Junior high; it was full of characters/monsters being cut in pieces and dying in grotesque fashion.  It also made me seek out more Japanese cartoons because of the unique feel it had. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
From the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this “super violent” Castlevania cartoon as “dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.”"

Well maybe they are going to go back to Lost Boys type vampires and less Twilight type vampires. That's not all bad, right?

Or perhaps it will be similar to Vampire Hunter D.  I saw it back when I was in Junior high; it was full of characters/monsters being cut in pieces and dying in grotesque fashion.  It also made me seek out more Japanese cartoons because of the unique feel it had.
Shit yeah! I loved vampire Hunter D!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
Apparently you haven't seen the new Power Rangers stuff. This isn't being handled by the creators of Vampire Hunter f*cking D for f*ck's sake. It's in the hands of tone deaf hacks. D was a fluke result of the anime silver age, more or less. Great shit was coming once a week back then. This is not that.

Apparently it was previously in the hands of the Adventure Time studio but they never did anything with it, probaky for lack of a good idea.

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Apparently you haven't seen the new Power Rangers stuff. This isn't being handled by the creators of Vampire Hunter f*cking D for f*ck's sake. It's in the hands of tone deaf hacks. D was a fluke result of the anime silver age, more or less. Great shit was coming once a week back then. This is not that.

Apparently it was previously in the hands of the Adventure Time studio but they never did anything with it, probaky for lack of a good idea.
Didn't say it was. I was just commenting that I really liked Vampire Hunter D For f*cks sake.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Its pretty great. I gave my niece a Yoshitaka Amano art book for Xmas, the one that's easy to get and inexpensive  in the US, I can't remember the name, cheap American style quality. Anyway, in it they chose to include quite a bit of his D work. Its worth a look just for that.

munchiaz

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 04:33:30 AM »
Big CV fan, but not really anticipating this. I would rather just have a new GOOD CV game

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 04:56:55 AM »

Vampire Hunter D was one of the first (relatively unedited) anime movies I saw. And the first one to really wow me. I highly doubt this is going to be any sort of approximation of the quality of the original OVA.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 05:09:05 AM »
How will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.
It would be better if it was just based off of Rusty instead and was put on Skinemax late friday/saturday nights.

Everyone knows of Rusty by now.

Galder

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »
Why even brother calling this Castlevania?

I think it would have a better chance as a new franchise.

Yes, Castlevania has brand recognition ....but, the folks who will recognize this brand will have certain expectations (a range of expectations, actually), that would be difficult to satisfy.

This. It is just getting ridiculous.

Gredler

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:40:32 AM »
While looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Worf on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Castlevania: Hymn of Blood
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2477294/

Anyone have any info on this? Looks like a failed pilot or something?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:41:21 AM by Gredler »

Gypsy

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 06:44:04 AM »
From the AV Club today:

God damn it.

gheebee

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
While looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Word on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Apparently it is a fan made web series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL99PCYdTX-vfJAP0zJHBjQd_q4DUyEKdI

I think the guy from Star Trek is in the second episode.

Gredler

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »

Thanks for the explanation - I am surprised it goes on IMDB! Wow.. Has anyone watched it? I couldn't get far into it lol

esteban

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

Thanks for the explanation - I am surprised it goes on IMDB! Wow.. Has anyone watched it? I couldn't get far into it lol

Personally, I am afraid to watch.

But...I am a masochist at heart.

So, give me a day or two.

:)
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
While looking at IMDB for various star trek cast members to see what other stuff they did, I saw something very surprising... The actor who played Word on Next Generation was also in a 2012 production of Castlevania! Wtf?!

Who is Word?  I don't recall his character on Next Generation.  Maybe he was on Deep Space Nine, still haven't seen that one yet.  Seriously though, I think you meant Worf?  I was confused at first, thinking it was    some minor character that I didn't remember! :D  Maybe a rapping alien? :)