Author Topic: Castlevania series coming to Netflix  (Read 2698 times)

seieienbu

Castlevania series coming to Netflix
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-has-announced-a-castlevania-tv-show-for-2017-1792131221

The title of the article says just about everything that is known.  I think it would be cool if this did well and then you could have like, a different CV game or two be a different season.  You could have one of Trevor, Sypha, Grant, and Alucard teaming up.  Then another one of Simon thinking he killed Dracula only to find out that he's been cursed and needs to roam Transylvania to destroy the remnants of Dracula to end his suffering.  Dracula X could take place and then Symphony of the night, etc.  With as much lore as exists for the series and the excellent gothic/moody atmosphere I think this sounds rather exciting and am looking forward to hearing more.

As long as I'm posting stuff about Castlevania, here's an interview with a couple of the composers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:21:11 AM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Castlevania series coming to Netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
That sounds like a horrible idea for a TV show.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:15 AM »
Yeah, this is almost as fringe as a new Cloak and Dagger movie.

The reluctance to make new things is so so SOOOO powerful....producers would rather bank on something people barely remember at all than find tallented people they can trust.

seieienbu

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
I'll remain cautiously optimistic and hope for a good show to come out of this.  Not everything CV related will wind up being like Simon Belmont from Captain N.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gredler

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I hope each episode is a segment of the castle, typical stage from the game, with the finale focusing on a battle vs dracula, and each season being a different cast and setting a la american horror story / true detective.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
The quality is irrelevant. I love Castlevania but I don't want the pup tent, the digital watch, the soap dish, the squirt gun, the collectable plate, the roda tree nut, or any of that other crap. I don't care to watch some Highlander: The Series grade TV show made on the opposite side of the planet and decades after my favorite CV games were made by totally uninvolved people, probably many of which weren't even born yet when the series debuted when I can just...play more Castlevania.

It's different when it's a shitty Ys OVA since those at least have significant connection to the main projects. This is supposedly being worked on by the same gross mofos rebooting Power Rangers.

On a scale of 1-10 for cultural impropriety and mediocre entrepreneurism, with 1 being Henry Darger and 2 being "Whalers on the moon" I give it:

7 - Uwe Boll Tax Shelter.

bartre

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »
I'll try it.

I won't like it. but I'll try it.

that said, I do truly hope it ends up being good.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
How will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
How will this even work?  It's one dude with a cursed whip killing shit, then killing dracula.  Even the later games really have minimal plot.  Unless they base this off of Lords of Shadow, which I never played lol.

It's based on Castlevania 3, so at least it will be several guys with various weaponry killing lots of things.

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »
It has potential. Netflix has consistently proven it can produce quality programming, and the CV universe has a lot to work with.

If you can make 7 seasons of people roaming the country side killing zombies, surely you can get a few kickass seasons of CV.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:13 AM »
Why even brother calling this Castlevania?

I think it would have a better chance as a new franchise.

Yes, Castlevania has brand recognition ....but, the folks who will recognize this brand will have certain expectations (a range of expectations, actually), that would be difficult to satisfy.

|    | 

bob

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 04:15:14 AM »
Why even brother calling this Castlevania?

I think it would have a better chance as a new franchise.

Yes, Castlevania has brand recognition ....but, the folks who will recognize this brand will have certain expectations (a range of expectations, actually), that would be difficult to satisfy.

Like the first grim reaper is a bitch and all the villagers lie to you

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »
I did read that it's going to be animated. That is a turn-off to me, but will make it easier to suit fans regarding the look of it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
From the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this “super violent” Castlevania cartoon as “dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.”"

So yeah, f*ck this stupid shit.

mitsuman

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
From the AV Club today:

"Ellis is listed as a producer on the Netflix series, along with Adi Shankar (Dredd), who previously described this “super violent” Castlevania cartoon as “dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.”"

So yeah, f*ck this stupid shit.

Well maybe they are going to go back to Lost Boys type vampires and less Twilight type vampires. That's not all bad, right?