Author Topic: HuC/ Magic Kit running concerns or alternatives?  (Read 1909 times)

Gredler

Re: HuC/ Magic Kit running concerns or alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »
Maybe that should be stickied and a link to a browser irc site? I'll idle in there alongside DoxPhile and pauls chat if I can have it up while I work, or on my phone from time to time.

And welcome to the pce dev scene you two, it's so nice to see some fresh faces and hopefully we can work together sometime in the future.  There are not a ton of us here, it's a small group, but I think before you guys or ladies joined in I  was the rookiest of the crew. My coding skills are inept at best but I've learned quite a bit about techniques in making art for the platform and have graduated to past grafx2 to where I can use my modern dev environment workflows to make art on the pce which is really time saving.

Good luck with your projects, can't wait to see where they head!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:16:10 AM by Gredler »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
I prefer using PaintShopPro for art for any of this stuff.

You can get Corel PSP X9 whatever for like 50$ or something, and it supports older image formats and has a nice palette editor.

We could sticky that IRC chat, or we could update that PCE Dev Wikia that fell over once I left for Japan and stuff lol.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about that wiki, is that stickied and does it have links to the chat? Having convenient links to dev chats like DoxPhile pauls and your irc would be very helpful to newcomers seeking quick answers to simple questions

I still haven't tried modern psp, but yeah that and photoshop+gimp are easier solutions for complicated image generation :) compared to the fun and old grafx2

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
I have been a PSP user since forever.  We always had a version.  I grew up on 7, and 9, and so I got the newest Corel one since PSP9 don't work right on Windows 10, lol.

I like the way it does palettes, and the interface doesn't piss me off.

The wiki is... doin whatever.   We all got sidetracked/left for vacations and stuff.

There is an Aetherbyte and a PCEDEV chat on Rizon, but if you don't use IRC its like lolf*ck.

We can  just use Mibbit to generate a web widget, I guess, and jam it into the Wiki.

I have a PCEFX one too, IIRC.

Aaron could jam a widget up in this site.

Galad

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 02:47:39 AM »
Grafx2 is ok for now until I have a good grasp on everything though the interface is from 20+ years ago.I might get on irc and ask a few questions,Thanks for the welcome Gredler.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:50:50 AM by Galad »

Galad

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Update on my learning to programming TurboGrafx-16,still not much though.I'm hoping Hippokittie got everything worked out,it's tough to get going at first.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:37:31 AM by Galad »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
NeoPaint is a good step up from Grafx2, I think.

It's like if PC Paintbrush got modernized, basically.

elmer

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
Or just use what professional developers working on tilemap systems like the Nintendo DS use ... ProMotion (http://www.cosmigo.com/).

Now with a "free" version.

Galad

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 03:07:34 AM »
I'll have a look at NeoPaint,thanks.

Gredler

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
Or just use what professional developers working on tilemap systems like the Nintendo DS use ... ProMotion (http://www.cosmigo.com/).

Now with a "free" version.

Wow Elmer thanks for sharing that!

Onion skinning for previewing animation and tile management tools are enough for me to jump in and try it out, fantastic!

I posted a while back in another thread asking for popular alternatives to Photo shop, was this suggested? I must've forgotten to try it if so, because this looks great and I surely would be foolish to not give it a shot.

Thanks!

Hippokittie

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
With help of a few people in here and on Rizon chat (wooo AK) I got things working a bit. Still doing some coding and running into animation problems but I am alright with it haha. Will keep on at the Rizon chat. Still though, maybe I will work on an exporter for like context script editor that will work in the future. We will see.

Galad

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 05:08:44 AM »
Figured out more or learnt more of huc,coding a new system is always fun and frustrating at first.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:42:19 PM by Galad »

elmer

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
Onion skinning for previewing animation and tile management tools are enough for me to jump in and try it out, fantastic!

I posted a while back in another thread asking for popular alternatives to Photo shop, was this suggested? I must've forgotten to try it if so, because this looks great and I surely would be foolish to not give it a shot.

I've mentioned it before, a few times.

I've owned a license since 1999 with ProMotion version 4.0 ... and keep paying for the upgrades, it's well worth it.

IIRC that's 4 paid-upgrades in 17 years ... he's not exactly nickel-and-dime-ing people.

It's a bit heavy-weight and over-featured for the simple translation-hacking tasks that I've been doing, but it's the best thing that I know of for the development of palette-based graphics for games, especially for the 4th-gen consoles like the PCE.

http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/TileMappingSettingsDlg.htm
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/GameboySupportFunctions.htm
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/ModifyChannelBitsDlg.htm

Now that there's a free version, too, there's not much of a reason for folks to avoid trying it out.

touko

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
seems to be a very good program, but the free version is so slow to start .

elmer

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
seems to be a very good program, but the free version is so slow to start .

If you mean the annoying "ProMotion" animation ... then just turn it off in the File->Preferences menu.