Author Topic: Are PC Engine games sealed with a Y-fold?  (Read 894 times)

yxlplig

Are PC Engine games sealed with a Y-fold?
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
I've got this sealed copy of Dracula X. I suspect that it's a PCEWorks reprint because it's shrink wrapped instead of sealed with a y-fold. Was the Y-fold standard in Japan during this time period?

It looks so real otherwise. There's one line of text that is maybe slightly blurry, but I'd need to reference an original to say that it's not supposed to look that way. This is an impeccable forgery if it is one.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: Are PC Engine games sealed with a Y-fold?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »
I don't know about any seals, but:
Pics, please.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Digi.k

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:39 AM »
I don't know about any seals, but:
Pics, please.

MrBroadway

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:44 AM »
I've got this sealed copy of Dracula X. I suspect that it's a PCEWorks reprint because it's shrink wrapped instead of sealed with a y-fold. Was the Y-fold standard in Japan during this time period?

It looks so real otherwise. There's one line of text that is maybe slightly blurry, but I'd need to reference an original to say that it's not supposed to look that way. This is an impeccable forgery if it is one.
Post a pic of the blurry line, too, and we can cross check it with ours.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 02:31:35 AM »
People shrinkwrap games all the time. Even if a seller describes it as used, there are enough people out there who will pay a premium for wrapping.

All you know for sure is that it isn't factory sealed by the publisher of the original game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 02:44:51 AM »
I wanna say they were all y-folds.

Open it up and find out for sure.  Sealed games are for losers.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xelement5x

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »
Y-fold with tear line was standard, except for some double-cased games which were done with like cellophane type wrap.  Pictures would probably help though.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 05:22:47 AM »
You're staring at 2 year old shrink wrap on a 25 year old game and somehow hoodwinked us all into making it into a thread. You f*cker!

MrBroadway

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 05:24:58 AM »
You're staring at 2 year old shrink wrap on a 25 year old game and somehow hoodwinked us all into making it into a thread. You f*cker!
The real question isn't whether this is new shrinkwrap or not, but is this a new PCE Works game or not.

Like Necro said, open it up, or send it back telling the seller that he scammed you (if you paid for a "new" Dracula X).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 05:40:35 AM »
FWIW, in my experience actual shrink wrap on almost anything from Japan is pretty rare. They looooooove using tons of plastic, don't get me wrong, but they have more sophisticated methods most of the time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:29:56 AM by SignOfZeta »

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
When PCE games in large cases were shrinkwrapped, they used a heavy duty material that I've only seen used in North America for heavy objects.

Maybe it was game shops or distributors in Japan who were wrapping mint open copies, but it still stands out compated to the kind of shrinkwrap that music stores used over here.

yxlplig

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
Ok, here are some pictures. The line in question is the © 1986 1993 Konami part. The copyright symbol is cut off and the whole line just looks slightly suspect.

http://imgur.com/a/blgGY

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
Fake.

Btw, I'm not sure if you picked up on the conversation but the shrink is %100 positive not original so you can rip it off and get all the pics you want. The front book looks reproduced to me, but the CDs are always even easier to authenticate so just show us that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:16:42 AM by SignOfZeta »

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Don't worry about the shrink wrap, Dracula X came with folded celophane and same peel away strip as other PCE games.

PCEWorks/Fudoh/PCEngine25thAnniv./Tobias/HudsonSoftofJapan/Animeforever's celophane wrapped games have the strip in the wrong position.

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html

As for the rest, it should be obvious in person, as all of Tobias' bootlegs feature noticeably different materials, print quality, finishing, etc than real PCE/Mega-CD/Saturn/etc games.

The cases look nothing like Japanese or North American jewel cases from bitd. The paper is super thick and overly glossy and the printing looks unprofessional.