Author Topic: Secret of Mana Remake  (Read 3573 times)

crazydean

Re: Secret of Mana Remake
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
Hopefully it's fun for SoM fans, but I don't understand the appeal of making 3D versions of classic pixelart games.

Yes! I would love to see early 3D games remade into something worth of putting on a modern display, but 2D games are fine just the way they are.

I played the remastered FFIX last year and loved it! I'd love to see more remastered games from the PS1 and especially N64. The Wind Waker on Wii U was great! But, I don't think the old stuff can be topped. For me, the 16-bit era was the peak of 2D gaming, and any change is a change for the worse.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Michirin9801

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
Sword of Mana was a f*cking trainwreck.
Sounds harsh, but I can't disagree there...

but, I'm not 100% sure I'd say LA is a better choice than FFA.   They're different games, really, and for predating LA by 2 years, it did some things better since it was trying to be an ARPG and Zelda never has been one of those.
You're absolutely correct that they're different, but they play kinda similar, and I played Link's Awakening first, so I was more used to its buttery-smooth gameplay when I tried out FFA...
Final Fantasy Adventure would have probably been great if you wanted to play a Zelda game on the Game Boy before Link's Awakening came out, but once it did, I'd argue that it makes FFA feel outdated in comparison... (Unless you're specifically looking for an Action RPG)

Also, if you go into Zelda expecting it to be an ARPG, you're just doing it wrong... Zelda has never even TRIED to be an ARPG, it just kinda-sorta looks like one, the closest Zelda ever came to being an RPG was in Adventure of Link, and while that game had some really neat ideas they were very poorly executed and "held back by NES limitations" as they said (Yeah right...)

The combat in FFA is objectively more interesting because of the weaponry options.   Link may have subitems at his disposal, but he's never swinging an axe or a chain whip around. 

I also think FFA had way better music overall.   There was so much variety, and so many really memorable tunes.

Outside of Marin's tune, most of LA's music isn't very memorable.   

Lets not even count the rediddled typical Zelda themes. 

Anyone who played FFA will find themselves humming the overworld music or the theme song randomly, years after they have touched the game.
First of all, there's no such thing as "Objective", EVERYTHING is subjective, there are no "Truths", there are only Perspectives, even science is always changing because we learn new things and have to adjust or scrap the older knowledge that contradicts it...

But the one thing that should be consensus by now is that the most subjective thing of all is taste in music... The song you linked is fine, but in my book Link's awakening soundtrack is anything but unmemorable, because well, I remember all of it...
(Although the fact that it's mostly recycled from older Zelda titles helps, but still, I distinctly remember their Game Boy renditions, as well as its original tunes so my point stands)
I wouldn't exactly call it one of the best soundtracks on the Game Boy, but it was perfectly fine for what it was trying to be...

Also, having different weapons doesn't make combat more interesting for everyone, case in point, Classic Castlevania vs. Metroidvania...
I know a lot of people LOVE the Metroidvania games to bits, but I don't, and I think Egoraptor put it best when he compared Metroidvania to eating a bag of chips and Castlevania 1 to enjoying a nice high-class dessert...

The point though is that in the Metroidvania games you have a load of weapons, a load of equipment and a load of abilities which enable you to explore parts of the castle which you couldn't before, that is perfectly fine, but in Classic Castlevania you were given your whip, the items and your guts to get through a pre-determined challenge, but you weren't able to get through it because you got a better weapon or because you leveled Simon up so that he could get strong enough to face that challenge, no YOU got better as the player, and was able to get through things that you couldn't before because you have skills now that you didn't have before! In my opinion that's WAY more satisfying than getting a better weapon so that you can now defeat monsters more easily than you could before...

I know this was a tangent, but I only went there in order to better illustrate my point, and the way this applies to Zelda is that Link doesn't need to swing an axe or a chain whip around to make combat more interesting, it's not the different weapons which are gonna do that, it's the game design which will, and for what it's worth Link's Awakening's got that in spades!

Granted, if you feel more satisfied about getting to use different weapons that's perfectly fine, and it's not like I wouldn't welcome it in a Zelda game, but bloating the game in order to make it "deeper" is not going to make it automatically "better"...

FFA also had a better sense of adventure, and all those senses of urgency.     LA just boils down to some pudnut that can't steer a boat running around collecting instruments while Mr. Owl tells him how many licks it takes to not get to the center of Marin because Link never gets any.

and then he wakes up from his wet dream (hah), and whatever.   It's a great game but Link is basically a useless dipshit that accomplishes f*ckall lol.
And guess how many f***s I give about that?
The story in Link's Awakening (or pretty much any Zelda game for the matter) is completely inconsequential, what matters is the gameplay, that's what ALWAYS mattered, and when it comes to top-down action games on the Game Boy, it's VERY hard to top Link's Awakening on the gameplay, and if I hadn't made it clear enough yet, FFA doesn't...

I don't need urgency to enjoy my games, it's not about the goal, it's about the journey!
As for the whole "sense of adventure" thing, I don't know about FFA (as I said, I haven't gone far in it), but I could 'break sequence' more than once in Link's Awakening, and there isn't a lot in gaming that gives off better a "sense of adventure" than dungeoning out of the intended order...

Michirin9801

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
Hopefully it's fun for SoM fans, but I don't understand the appeal of making 3D versions of classic pixelart games.

Yes! I would love to see early 3D games remade into something worth of putting on a modern display, but 2D games are fine just the way they are.

I played the remastered FFIX last year and loved it! I'd love to see more remastered games from the PS1 and especially N64. The Wind Waker on Wii U was great! But, I don't think the old stuff can be topped. For me, the 16-bit era was the peak of 2D gaming, and any change is a change for the worse.
I agree, but I always welcome remakes if they're good (even if not as good as the originals) if it means that more people are gonna be able to experience the games, heck, if anything a remake could raise more awareness about the originals which could lead to more people experiencing them! I mean, how many people haven't played Rondo of Blood because of the PSP remake? Sure it will never be as good as the original, and it's kind of ugly as sin, but at least it had the decency of including a fully-localised version of the PC engine original, so that's great!
Best-case-scenario a Remake could even replace the original as the definitive version (Super Mario Allstars, Metroid Zero Mission and Dragon's Curse come to mind)
Not like that will happen with Secret of Mana, but it's still something that happens sometimes...

Also, I second the "Remake early 3D games" thing! I'd love nothing more than a Super Mario 64 remake which did the original justice (unlike the DS one)
And apparently the Crash remakes have been a success so hopefully Activision will let Vicarious Visions remake the first 3 Spyro games as well!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:45:29 PM by Michirin9801 »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
The problem isn't that the voice acting is bad. The problem is that it HAS voice acting. It probably has loads of it and anything else that takes your time and just has you passively staring at the screen. Most things in the game will probably take longer than they did in the original. It probably has f*cking TUTORIALS out the ass.

And I bet the NPCs are still all useless.

Secret of Mana was STATE OF THE ART when it came out. State of the art in a higher art form, IMHO (one that lacks a third dimension) and this port is a sad sack example of Unity grade fodder.

I think maybe you don't really understand WHY you liked SoM, or maybe I don't. I guess there are two types of Mana fans and I'm not really the one who likes anything after SD3 including this cash grab.

BTW, HD remakes of PS1 originals sounds interesting. FFIX, sure, but I'd rather Cave's Touge series were redone, Touge Max G specifically. Playing it today the ONLY problem that masterpiece has is shitty shitty shitty graphics.

SoM's biggest issue was that it glitched pretty often. I didn't need this.

Please do enjoy it though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:50:19 PM by SignOfZeta »

Michirin9801

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
The problem isn't that the voice acting is bad. The problem is that it HAS voice acting. It probably has loads of it and anything else that takes your time and just has you passively staring at the screen. Most things in the game will probably take longer than they did in the original. It probably has f*cking TUTORIALS out the ass.

Yeah sure, unfortunately modern games "require voice acting" these days (a load of bollocks if you ask me) and I'm not too fond of "English Dubs" either, but I wouldn't really mind it if it was good (or if it were in Japanese with English subtitles, at least I wouldn't be as bothered by it in a language that I'm not as familiar with)
As for the rest, we won't be sure of it until either the game is out, or it's confirmed in previews...

No, I tell you what the real problem is, it's that they're remaking a game that doesn't need to be remade...
The original still looks great, It still sounds great, and I'll bet it still plays pretty damn well too! But well, I haven't played it yet so I can't comment on that... (I'll get to it eventually, I just really don't have the time and patience to be putting into big RPGs at the moment, and if I did I'd just try to finish my business with Dragon Quest VIII)

But just because the game doesn't need to be remade, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't remake it... Yes, remaking early 3D games would be a better idea, that's quite hard to argue with, but if they want to remake this, then by all means they should do it!

"But they should do it better than this" True... But I'll bet no matter what they did you'd still prefer the original...
Here's the thing, this remake isn't for you, it's for a new generation, they're taking a game which you already enjoyed, which nobody is going to take away from you (probably), and they're presenting it in a new way which some folks might find more appealing!

"But this 3D art isn't as good as the pixel art from the original" Agreed whole-heartedly! But that's us, and not everybody is going to agree, and that's just how life is... (I still think it looks cute though!)

SoM's biggest issue was that it glitched pretty often.
Well, that's news to me...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:04:33 PM by Michirin9801 »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
Quote from: Michirin's Stuff

See, I tend to look at games for their entire package, as opposed to "oh it fulfills my need for top down hack and slash, f*ck the story."     

Back then, we had to do this shitty thing where we had to pay for stuff, so we had to carefully evaluate which things we bought so we didn't f*ck ourselves and ruin our month until we could save up for another game by not eating lunch and pocketing our lunch money.    You are basically emulating/freeloading most of this stuff now, so you're kind of lucky.

When you're standing there with like 50$ as a kid and you are like OK, I can get this SNES game, or these two gameboy games, you have to really make sure you're making the right decisions in life.   Otherwise you end up buying shit like Wizards and Warriors + Castlevania Adventure while passing on like Joe and Mac or something, and then you feel like a f*cking moron after you realize what you've done.

If we needed a cheap fix for an action game or something, we'd either borrow games, or rent crap.   If you were getting a game that took like >4 hours, it better have some sort of interesting story.

I was personally a little disappointed with LA's limp ass ending.   All that work for such a stupid ending.   After Link to the Past, I thought there'd be a better ending. 

Anyway,

I think you misunderstand the "sense of urgency".   I mean to say, there are times in the game where you do things like A) fall off a cliff because you're being chased by a villain B) fall out of an airship C) are rescuing someone that's been kidnapped.   

There's suspense, and surprises.   Not everyone makes it out alive.  It feels a bit more serious.   

Zelda has that urgent "save zelda, get the golden doritos and stop ganon" thing, but it's hardly ever urgent really.  You have time to put bees in jars and release them and watch them murder platemail'd knights, and you can sit there playing rupee games and cutting the grass in Hyrule looking for loose change to buy more crap.   The big bad guy basically just stands there until Link shows up to whoop his ass.   If he were a little more proactive, I don't think Link would be able to do anything to stop the guy.

The most urgent thing in LA is watching dopey crash the boat.  The rest of the game is basically you dicking off in a fever dream on an island, printing out pictures at the photo booth while you run around gathering instruments so a skywhale can tell you some LSD riddle and fly away while you float around like an a$$hole at the end of the game.    lol.

Also, Zelda has always been an adventure game, but the world is always a bit small feeling.   Even Link to the Past, the crown jewel.   

I think Zelda II has the biggest population of any Zelda.   In Zelda 1, you're talking like, a population of 6 people?  They all live in caves and are old toothless goons.   There's old dudes living in the dungeons.  They're all insane.

Link to the Past has what, 10 people?  There's one goddamn village in the entire game basically, and a few stray houses.   The entire world could probably fit in a Super Walmart.   

compare this to a game like FFA where you go places.  There's whole cities you run around in.   It feels more world-like as a result. 

also in FFA, the fact that different weapons exist and are sometimes required or make certain parts more convenient does in fact make the combat in a game more interesting than just swinging the sword around or using the boomerang.    You get different speeds, effects, special attacks, and range of motion.  That tradition has carried on through all of the Mana games.   It is part of what makes them what they are. 

Zelda's combat isn't bad.  It's just a bit more straightforward.  You're Link, the pantsless sword wielding dork that sometimes has to use a specific item one time to kill a boss because "brilliant game design".   

As much as I like Zelda, it is really easy to make fun of the entire formula in those games.   

Why do big bad monsters live in dungeons with a f*cking item that can murder the shit out of them ALSO INSIDE THE DUNGEON.    Who put the f*cking maps and compasses in there?    Why is there a BIG KEY to open the chest to get the treasure?   If the monsters just guarded the items themselves, Link would be f*cked and evil would triumph.

and, yeah, LA has a lot of rehashed tunes.   That's part of why there aren't too many really standout tunes in that game.   Heard em already.   It's a very long soundtrack listing with not a lot of standout tunes.   Some of them barely count as songs.  They're more like little jingles.

Don't get me wrong though, LA was some 10/10 shit somehow despite goofy "why do we like this" thoughts.   

I beat that game probably 50 times as a kid between the regular and stupid ripoff DX version that f*cking did nothing but take my money for no reason because you can do that stupid color dungeon on an OG gameboy anyways.

It's just not great of a tale/adventure as FFA if you really sit down and compare the two.   

FFA is a much more serious, kinda depressing story. 

If there's no JP option, f*ck.  That will suck.   the Jonathan Taylor Thomas voice actor guy for Randy is lame.

I hope they are.

Secret of Mana was STATE OF THE ART when it came out. State of the art in a higher art form, IMHO (one that lacks a third dimension) and this port is a sad sack example of Unity grade fodder.

I think maybe you don't really understand WHY you liked SoM, or maybe I don't. I guess there are two types of Mana fans and I'm not really the one who likes anything after SD3 including this cash grab.

I like SOM for alot of reasons.  I played it a lot as a kid.   I remember using my child-age privilege to cry and whine until my uncle would let me borrow it.  I probably ruined his weekend with his friends, lol.  Woops.   

The environments are still some of the best I've seen in a game basically ever.   The music shits all over a lot of things, and the story + gameplay itself was pretty amazing at the time.     

I fully expect to be disappointed in the music much like how SD3's music f*cking blew compared to SD2, but I will still listen anyways.   The percussion is probably going to be weak.  SOM's percussion was over the top.

I want to fly around in this 3D and goof around like I did on SNES.   I am hoping the flying portion is awesome.   I used to just fly in circles and swoop down and do this thing where I'd randomly land somewhere and see where I went.

I want to see Matango in 3D.   I'm curious how some of the shrines will look, and if we will still see goofy shit like SHOOTING YOURSELF ACROSS THE PLANET IN A f*ckING CANNON.

I'm aware that this isn't state of the art stuff now, so I am OK with getting a revisit.   I'm not optimistic.  I am just excitedly curious.  I want to beat the shit out of rabites and see that stupid scene where you're going to be cooked.

I hope Primm still comes shufflef*cking her way in to save me. 

I basically just want to see how all those scenes turn out in 3D.    If there's no JP voice option though, jesusf*ck that's gon be baaaaaaad.

Everyone making fun of the new "kawaii chibi" stuff is an asshat though.

The original game was like that too.   Look at Popoi.   Look at the rabites.   The mushbooms have hearts on their heads.

Look at the f*cking ducks with army helmets shooting at you.

It's all cute and stupid as it murders you.   That hasn't changed.   

The dated, lower quality 3D does kind of suck though since it actually looks like Dawn of Mana has better visuals than this will have. 

No, I tell you what the real problem is, it's that they're remaking a game that doesn't need to be remade...

You've not even played the game.  Just stop.

If any old Square IP is deserving of a remake, it's definitely SOM.   They've rehashed all the FF games out the ass and sort of dropped the ball with continuing the mana series.  Chrono Trigger got a PS1 release with anime cutscenes. 

Secret of Mana never got shit really. 

What it really deserves is a full-blown redo.   like FFXV caliber visuals with studio rock music to match the music that was in the original in terms of percussive presence.

This one is a budget remake, which is disappointing, but still piques my interest enough to give it a shot.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:21:01 PM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Johnpv

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
IMHO this looks really low effort for the 40 bucks they're going to charge for it.  I would have been much happier if they just brought the SoM collection they just released on the Switch in Japan here. 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »
IMHO this looks really low effort for the 40 bucks they're going to charge for it.  I would have been much happier if they just brought the SoM collection they just released on the Switch in Japan here. 

you mean emulated versions of crap you can already emulate? lol ayyyyyyyyyyyy

macarena.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
I know a guy who has purchased so many repacked SNK games that he could have had a real MVS and a half dozen carts by now. I guess it's fun to see what things a bleeding edge super computer like a PS4 or an XBone will f*ck up this time when once again porting a 20 year old game that ran on a 68000.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »
I know a guy who has purchased so many repacked SNK games that he could have had a real MVS and a half dozen carts by now. I guess it's fun to see what things a bleeding edge super computer like a PS4 or an XBone will f*ck up this time when once again porting a 20 year old game that ran on a 68000.

I loled.

I only bought a few SNK games for handhelds for the whole "playin while I poop" thing.

i rarely buy redos unless they severely fix things.   When it's a thing like this, I'll only do it if it's something I really like. 

maybe a 7th Saga redo is next.

that would kick a ton of ass.

Michirin9801

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
Quote from: Michirin's Stuff

See, I tend to look at games for their entire package, as opposed to "oh it fulfills my need for top down hack and slash, f*ck the story."     

Back then, we had to do this shitty thing where we had to pay for stuff, so we had to carefully evaluate which things we bought so we didn't f*ck ourselves and ruin our month until we could save up for another game by not eating lunch and pocketing our lunch money.    You are basically emulating/freeloading most of this stuff now, so you're kind of lucky.

When you're standing there with like 50$ as a kid and you are like OK, I can get this SNES game, or these two gameboy games, you have to really make sure you're making the right decisions in life.   Otherwise you end up buying shit like Wizards and Warriors + Castlevania Adventure while passing on like Joe and Mac or something, and then you feel like a f*cking moron after you realize what you've done.
And you really think I've never had an experience like that? Look, just because I'm young and I emulate a lot of stuff, doesn't mean I've never had to save money to buy the games that I wanted, nor does it mean that I could always emulate everything that I wanted (even to this day I can't)
I value my games just as much as you do (probably more actually) but I just so happen to have different priorities from yours, and that's what you seem to fail to understand...

Looking at the whole package, in one side I have a game which plays okay, but has an amazing story, and on this other side there's a game which plays AMAZING and has barely any story what-so-ever...
I'll gladly pick the latter! And you'll most likely pick the former from what I gather, and that's fine...
I'm not asking for you to agree with me, all I'm doing telling you what my position is and why it is that way...

You've not even played the game.  Just stop.

If any old Square IP is deserving of a remake, it's definitely SOM.   They've rehashed all the FF games out the ass and sort of dropped the ball with continuing the mana series.  Chrono Trigger got a PS1 release with anime cutscenes. 

Secret of Mana never got shit really. 

What it really deserves is a full-blown redo.   like FFXV caliber visuals with studio rock music to match the music that was in the original in terms of percussive presence.

This one is a budget remake, which is disappointing, but still piques my interest enough to give it a shot.   

I can see we also have different opinions about remakes...
Here's how I think about it: If the game is already good, if it still looks sounds and plays well, why remake it? It doesn't NEED to be remade! Wonder Boy 3 didn't need to be remade, well, it kind of did, but we already had a perfect remake of Wonder Boy 3 called "Dragon's Curse"...
Rondo of Blood didn't need to be remade, it's pretty much still the best Castlevania in my mind, and it still looks, sounds and plays incredible! (Better than the remake I'd say)

But just because a game doesn't need to be remade doesn't mean that a remake isn't welcome!
I LOVED the Wonder Boy 3 remake, those hand-drawn graphics were gorgeous and the gameplay, although it was exactly the same, it felt better because the animations were so much better! (And the parallax scrolling is also a very welcome addition)
I'd still rather play Dragon's Curse because the soundtrack is still better on the TurboGrafx, but still...

Same goes with Secret of Mana, yes I haven't played it, but I've seen it, I've heard it, and it looks and sounds great! (why do you think I WANT to play it?)
As I thought I had left clear enough, the remake is welcome because it will present the game again in a new way to a new audience, and potentially raise awareness about the original, and that's a good thing in my book!

What NEEDS to be remade are games which haven't aged well (unlike Secret of Mana), like early 3D games for example which were fine back then, but nowadays they look like arse... (I wouldn't be surprised if someone said they think they looked bad even back then) Those would also benefit from a better frame-rate for the most part...
I'd love nothing more than a Zelda 2 remake so that they could fix the gameplay and the graphics (which I think look worse than Zelda 1) or a remake of the first Goemon game on the N64 so that they could fix the camera, stuff like that...
Heck, I'd say they need to remake more BAD games so that they can be made GOOD!
Anyone looking forward to the new Bubsy game? I'm not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out good, I mean, It's apparently being made by the same people who made the new Giana Sisters game, and I hear that's a good game!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
Man I could go for an HD version of Bubsy 3D, I'd KILL!  Don't fix the controls, just give me 1080 on that bad boy!  Actually yeah, Giana Sisters is cool, I have it.  Haven't beaten it yet.  I do wonder if the if the new Bubsy will turn out ok.  I recal the first game being alright.  I never played the 2nd one.  I have the Jag game.....uh huh.  And I got Bubsy 3D cuz it was cheaper than dirt on half.com...........it's pretty bad.  I would like to enjoy it, but I don't.

Which reminds me, I must be the only person who actually likes Sword of Mana! *runs for the hills*  I never really played Final Fantasy Adventure, so SoM came first for me, than I played Adventures of Mana recently.  It'd been eons, but the only thing I remember not liking about SoM was the glitchiness......which may have been a feature come to think of it!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
And you really think I've never had an experience like that? Look, just because I'm young and I emulate a lot of stuff, doesn't mean I've never had to save money to buy the games that I wanted, nor does it mean that I could always emulate everything that I wanted (even to this day I can't)
sure, ...but you grew up in the era where emulating all of this 8/16 bit shit was a readily available option,

The things you can't emulate are few and far between, and pointing something like that out to all of us is #firstworldproblems at this point.   What can't you emulate?   

Imagine having to trust magazines, commercials, or the back of the game box because you can't just bop onto YouTube and watch some gameplay videos.   and then you rent something awful and your weekend is f*cked.  Thank f*ck for FuncoLand back then.   They'd let you try stuff. 

You are lucky.   Don't try to explain your way out of it.  It's just a fact.  I would've killed for the ability to emulate all of this easily, or to be able to watch an endless supply of videos to see what games are like.    Even once we could emulate, you're rocking dialup on shit-tier ROM sites on an expensive ass computer that that you have to share with everyone because its 1998 and you're 10.

and it still doesn't emulate stuff right.

Flashcarts would've blown our minds back in the early/mid 90s.

I value my games just as much as you do (probably more actually)
f*ckin' :roll:

Yeah, so, get back to me on that when you look at a large chunk of your gaming collection and realize it was given to you as a bday/xmas present by a relative that is no longer alive, games you went out to the store to get with a relative that is no longer alive, or are games you grew up playing with relatives who are again, no longer alive.

in addition to games you bought via not eating lunch for awhile, or from paper routes, or from weighing the pros and cons of selling action figures at garage sales to buy more games, or shit like that.   

Saying shit like that makes you sound like a total dumbass.

but I just so happen to have different priorities from yours, and that's what you seem to fail to understand...
there's no failure to understand something that you haven't really articulated clearly.  Your priorities seem to be iterating which things are your current most favorite thing ever of all time while arguing about shit you haven't played yet, while then pointing out that you have to do school or something so you play handhelds alot.   What the hell do you think any of us were doing during college?   I dunno about you.  Gaming is gaming.   You find ways to do it during college.   My priorities on gaming haven't really changed.   

I can see we also have different opinions about remakes...
Here's how I think about it: If the game is already good, if it still looks sounds and plays well, why remake it? It doesn't NEED to be remade! Wonder Boy 3 didn't need to be remade, well, it kind of did, but we already had a perfect remake of Wonder Boy 3 called "Dragon's Curse"...
Rondo of Blood didn't need to be remade, it's pretty much still the best Castlevania in my mind, and it still looks, sounds and plays incredible! (Better than the remake I'd say)

But just because a game doesn't need to be remade doesn't mean that a remake isn't welcome!
I LOVED the Wonder Boy 3 remake, those hand-drawn graphics were gorgeous and the gameplay, although it was exactly the same, it felt better because the animations were so much better! (And the parallax scrolling is also a very welcome addition)
I'd still rather play Dragon's Curse because the soundtrack is still better on the TurboGrafx, but still...

Same goes with Secret of Mana, yes I haven't played it, but I've seen it, I've heard it, and it looks and sounds great! (why do you think I WANT to play it?)
As I thought I had left clear enough, the remake is welcome because it will present the game again in a new way to a new audience, and potentially raise awareness about the original, and that's a good thing in my book!

What NEEDS to be remade are games which haven't aged well (unlike Secret of Mana), like early 3D games for example which were fine back then, but nowadays they look like arse... (I wouldn't be surprised if someone said they think they looked bad even back then) Those would also benefit from a better frame-rate for the most part...
I'd love nothing more than a Zelda 2 remake so that they could fix the gameplay and the graphics (which I think look worse than Zelda 1) or a remake of the first Goemon game on the N64 so that they could fix the camera, stuff like that...
Heck, I'd say they need to remake more BAD games so that they can be made GOOD!
Anyone looking forward to the new Bubsy game? I'm not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out good, I mean, It's apparently being made by the same people who made the new Giana Sisters game, and I hear that's a good game!

First: explain how Zelda 2 looks worse than 1.   Zelda 1 looks like shit.

You're running around a vanilla icecream sundae, beating up pieces of cereal basically. 

It's ugly.   

At least Zelda 2 has better proportions, and better looking terrain + sprites.    The gameplay is generally fine too outside of being a bit difficult.  What's wrong with it?   Before the internet told everyone so, Zelda II was regarded as a pretty fantastic game.    I have literally never heard someone say Zelda II looks worse than Zelda I.  Ever. 

Anyway, A lot of things need remade for different reasons.

Sometimes, it's to give it better visuals or use better technology to make the game not goony. 
Other times, it's just to revisit a game because it's been awhile. 

The concept of not aging well graphically never really clicks for me, anyways.   Shit looks and plays the same as it did.   I can play a doofy looking CRPG from 1984 and be A-OK even though I am aware that we've moved past 16 colors and stick-figures.

The jarring framerate difference between PS1 and PS4 goes away after maybe an hour of playing PS1 again.    I don't deny that it's there, but it's not like it's a horrible disaster.   Tenchu is still some 10/10 excitement.

Some of that PS1 stuff looks awful at times, but it's never been so awful that you can't play it, unless it was awful in the first place.   I can't think of a PS1 game that was f*cking amazing and now it sucks because bad-3D.

In some cases, like FF7, the visuals give the game character.   I am expecting that remake to not have the same atmosphere because those pre-rendered backgrounds will be gone.

and, yes, it'd be nice to see stuff that has moving mouths instead of parkinsons movement to simulate talking, but that doesn't really make me not play MGS1 anymore.   

... but in the case of 2D games, sometimes its just neat to see a 3D retelling of an old game.

Ys 3 vs Oath in Felghana for example. 

Remaking bad games is generally how you end up with shit like Night Trap.   

Remaking notoriously shit games only does well because of the cult fad mentality of buying a piece of shit to parade around and show everyone so you can all laugh and high five each other like idiots.

There are some less than good games that deserve a redo though, like Ultima II or Fade 2 Black.

The best example of a remake done right thus far is probably Shadow of the Beast.     You should probably play that.

EDIT: 

also, when your games were traded or bought from people here who are now dead.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:22:18 PM by Arkhan »

Michirin9801

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »
Which reminds me, I must be the only person who actually likes Sword of Mana! *runs for the hills*
I can appreciate what it was trying to be, and it sure looks great! But damn was it boring...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:04 PM »
Which reminds me, I must be the only person who actually likes Sword of Mana! *runs for the hills*
I can appreciate what it was trying to be, and it sure looks great! But damn was it boring...

no you cant.  you never played the original game very far, by your own admission.

So, you really can't properly appreciate what it was attempting...