Author Topic: Secret of Mana Remake  (Read 3572 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Secret of Mana Remake
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »

The western world is collectively bitching up a goddamn storm over a like 1.5 minute trailer, because that's what the internet does best.

me on the other hand:

"f*ck yeah, it comes out on my birthday and you get tiger suits if you preorder. Sold."

The internet has turned gamers into dumbf*cks
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

Re: Secret of Mana Remake
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
looks cool to me, of course I'd prefer sprites/hand drawn, but this art does not look bad. I loved the original so much that it has big shoes to fill, and considering how bad sword of mana was compared to final fantasy adventure, I am a bit skeptical. I doubt it's the same team in any capacity, so thats probably not an apt comparison, but their remakes and updates have been hit (DS remakes) and miss (PC/mobile ports of FFVI and actually secrete of mana)

That being said, barring terrible reviews and do not buy warnings I will likely get this if for no other reason but to encourage more development in this franchise or possibly a legal playable us version of 3.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
Try Adventures of Mana, which is a remake of FFA done just like this.

people commenting on how doofy shit looks didn't look at the manual for SOM.

It was all 90s claymation shit that looked goobery as hell, lol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »
I think it looks okay.  If they do a physical version for Vita, sign me up.

Though I'm not a graphics whore and can live with it as is, my biggest complaint is that the graphics are low end; it looks like a PSP game at best.  Good graphics aren't required for a game to be fun, of course, but if they rushed and half-assed the graphics, there's a good chance they f*cked up elsewhere too.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
Just because it says "mana" on it doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Dicer

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 05:31:49 AM »
The fact they are skipping the Switch is really mind boggling to me...I don't much nostalgia for it so it doesn't bother me, just kinda stupid.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
Since SOM is my favorite of the series, I feel excitedly obligated to buy and play it.   

I don't get why they skipped the switch though.    Seems stupid since Switch has a Mana compilation on it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:39:46 PM »
Just to be clear, this is a famously gorgeous famously 2D game being remade with 10 year old 3D graphics and you actually *want* to buy it? Not to play it, right? Is there some crazy "hot coffee" trick for it? Does it come with an upscaled SFC ROM?

I liked Secret of Mana a lot but this thing looks like Falcom made it for PSP in 2004 and while that is actually a compliment in the eyes of some people I'm not using it that way. :)

MrBroadway

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:27 PM »

I didn't play the art from the manual.

I'm with Zeta. It's fugly graphics, and from what little dialog I heard, the voice acting stinks, too. I'll be sticking with the original.

Gredler

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:06 PM »
Try Adventures of Mana, which is a remake of FFA done just like this.

I bought it on Android, but I have still not taken the time to hook a controller up to any of my devices, and never got past the initial tiger fight even. Is it on any other platforms, or how did you hook up a controller? My ps3 controller efforts have failed, and I always end up saying screw it.

I disagree, I LOVED the claymation stuff of that time frame (earthbound did it too). It's very endearing to me. In fact this version's art style I think hearkens closer to the clay models than to the sprite work from the original.

this thing looks like Falcom made it for PSP in 2004

I almost want to put up some comparison shots. This looks better than any falcom 3d game I've seen. I am not sure what you're referring to; mybe from 2004 is hyperbolic. I recently started trying to play Trails of Cold Steel and that was MUCH rougher than this assume-ably early trailer.

I don't get why they skipped the switch though.    Seems stupid since Switch has a Mana compilation on it.

I would imagine they did not initially plan the platform to be a sku, but I would be VERY surprised if this doesn't stumble onto switch eventually. Perhaps Sony funded a chunk of this, since it's only Sony and PC (some other games have been like this recently, as well). I would be willing to bet this is a timed exclusive and they are not messaging that in fears of cannibalizing their own sales. I am currently thinking "yeah maybe I'll get both ps4 and vita versions for cross save and playing off and on tv", but if they said switch I'd buy it on that platform for sure since I would not need to buy two copies for the same functionality; and as we've discussed I am pretty sure the Switch version would not be graphically inferior to PS4 in any way.

I'm with Zeta. It's fugly graphics, and from what little dialog I heard, the voice acting stinks, too.

I am really surprised to hear the discontent with the graphics. I am probably in the graphics snob crew, and I have very little issue with this. Maybe I am just thankful they didn't mess up the sprites attempting to HDify them like they did when they ported FFVI and V; or maybe I am just really digging the callback to the claymation style of the characters.

If I were being critical of the game I would say the rocks are lower detail because of the way they were constructed; they modeled out each rock rather than creating a model of rocks, so the density and # of rocks have reduced significantly from the original.

The water "shader" (i.e. alpha plane of blue with some white streaks, just a texture with no refraction) also looks worse than the original. It was nice seeing the rocks and detail below the water refract (hand drawn detail at the time, that could have been recreated with a shader today), but I am hopeful the water shader improves before release.

Flamey's texel density on its wings is disappointing, more texture real estate should have been contributed to the wings because they look blurry in relation to the rest of the scene.

The biggest glaring issue I see is the mapping on the mossy stone blocks; the seam on the corner does not look intentional or by design.

Overall though, I still think it's better than their other ports and it captures the feel of the game well.

I'll buy it, like I said, barring any crazy bad reveiws.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Just to be clear, this is a famously gorgeous famously 2D game being remade with 10 year old 3D graphics and you actually *want* to buy it? Not to play it, right? Is there some crazy "hot coffee" trick for it? Does it come with an upscaled SFC ROM?

I liked Secret of Mana a lot but this thing looks like Falcom made it for PSP in 2004 and while that is actually a compliment in the eyes of some people I'm not using it that way. :)

I want to play it.  I want to see what all of the tunes are reimagined like, and I want to see if there's new dialog or nostalgia feelies for it.  I want to see how flying around on Flammie is in 3D, and I am hoping the battle system is fun in 3D.

plus, it's going to be on the vita, so I can play it while I poop.

The voice acting sounds stupid, but it's not like it's new.  If SOM on SNES had voice acting, it would have sucked.

I was happy with Adventures of Mana for all the nostalgia feelies, and the tight gameplay.  It was also more fun than Sword of Mana.  That game sucked so bad.   Forcing myself through that game was a pain.

Michirin9801

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
I think it looks fine, yeah it's not quite as detailed as it could have been, I mean, it looks kinda like a Wii game blown up into HD, but it looks cute and I like it! Besides, I'm quite fond of 6th-gen level 3D graphics~

My only experience with the Mana series was Final Fantasy Adventure, which made me feel like: "I'd rather play Link's Awakening instead" and thus didn't go very far in it, and then I've played Sword of Mana, which looked GORGEOUS but it's just bleh... Needless to say, I also didn't go very far in it... I want to play Secret of Mana eventually, but I'm doing ~98% of my gaming on the 3DS these days, because I can play it on the bus and in college, and I spend very little time at home these days...

I wouldn't mind playing this version if I could, but if I were to choose between it and the SNES one, I'd pick the original easily... Yeah, I like these graphics, but nothing beats good pixel art! Either way, good on them for remaking it!

Medic_wheat

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
Nooooo no nope.

Vividly reborn my ass

Okay there is taking a 2D game and making it 3D sure okay.

But piss poor art direction is what this is. It's not even that they went 2D that bothers me. It's that there appear to be zero effort for design, character models or art direction that imminently turned me off as a potential audience.

They so easily could have don't a nice cell shaded look with the character designs from Koichi Ishii

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »
Sword of Mana was a f*cking trainwreck.   Easily the most disappointing GBA purchase ever.  Even Lunar's remakedowngrade for GBA was better than that boring, slow ass progression/stale boss battle mess.

but, I'm not 100% sure I'd say LA is a better choice than FFA.   They're different games, really, and for predating LA by 2 years, it did some things better since it was trying to be an ARPG and Zelda never has been one of those.   

The combat in FFA is objectively more interesting because of the weaponry options.   Link may have subitems at his disposal, but he's never swinging an axe or a chain whip around. 

I also think FFA had way better music overall.   There was so much variety, and so many really memorable tunes.

Outside of Marin's tune, most of LA's music isn't very memorable.   

Lets not even count the rediddled typical Zelda themes. 

Anyone who played FFA will find themselves humming the overworld music or the theme song randomly, years after they have touched the game.

FFA also had a better sense of adventure, and all those senses of urgency.     LA just boils down to some pudnut that can't steer a boat running around collecting instruments while Mr. Owl tells him how many licks it takes to not get to the center of Marin because Link never gets any.

and then he wakes up from his wet dream (hah), and whatever.   It's a great game but Link is basically a useless dipshit that accomplishes f*ckall lol.

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
I remember when Tengai Makyou 360 got flack for its models all those years ago and this looks like step backwards from that.

Hopefully it's fun for SoM fans, but I don't understand the appeal of making 3D versions of classic pixelart games. Ziria 360's main draw was "the worlds first HD anime".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum