Author Topic: Secret of Mana Remake  (Read 3588 times)

xelement5x

Re: Secret of Mana Remake
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
He sounds like elderly Kiefer Sutherland, right after he offers us some werthers originals for story time.

This intro is actually pretty cool, though.   Nice art style, and use of 3D layering.

I agree there, visually it's neat. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »
It looks like Gamestop is doing a physical version for PS4.  Vita gets the shaft, of course.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
at least its not friggin Limited Run PieceOfShitGames.

I hate them more than Gamestop
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2018, 06:20:59 PM »
Played for a few hours.

Pleasantly surprised with it so far.

It plays like the SNES one.

The non-pixel graphics are cartoony and vibrant, so they feel nice.  The vibrance and designs of some of them really match stuff from manuals and artbooks.

You can toggle the SNES soundtrack.  The minimap IS the SNES game's art.

You can switch JP voices on.

The character interactions and dialog added to this version make it nice to play and see all of that.

So far, I think it is worth picking up.

My only complaint so far, is when you use the cannon travel, there is no Mode 7.

If I get to flying around, and there is still no mode7'y shit, I will be mad.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »
I'll have it later today.  You don't think the graphics are too....meh, for lack of a better word?  From what I can tell, I wish they were better, but, maybe I'll be surprised once I play it.  How's the arranged soundtrack?

xelement5x

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2018, 04:01:44 AM »
Nice tracks to celebrate:
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 04:47:01 AM »
The remade OST is pretty awesome.

I think the best way to describe this is that it looks like an artbook jumped into the game.

The one review is like THEY CHANGED NOTHING IT SUCKS.

jtucci31

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
The remade OST is pretty awesome.

I think the best way to describe this is that it looks like an artbook jumped into the game.

The one review is like THEY CHANGED NOTHING IT SUCKS.

I mean, couldn't you argue that by not changing all that much it is sort of an unnecessary remake?

Also surprised you like the OST, I've heard some negative stuff about it overall.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
I mean, couldn't you argue that by not changing all that much it is sort of an unnecessary remake?

I mean, they remade it where it counts.   There is more dialog and presentation of the story, without f*cking up the gameplay or completely changing what the game is. 

Also surprised you like the OST, I've heard some negative stuff about it overall.

The people bitching about the soundtrack are armchair musicians and dipshits, honestly.   

Its not bad.  Some of it is weaker on the percussion compared to the snappy SNES drum-machine drums, but I haven't had any fits of rage where I flip back to the SNES OST.   

For some reason, they *want* low quality SNES sampling instead of modern instruments in a remake, and are comparing apples to potatoes at that point.

and I say this being one of the people who think SOM's soundtrack is like top5 OSTs of all time.

This is seriously the stuff the same people would line up for, and suck dicks to get tickets for, if an orchestra was going to perform the SOM soundtrack live.

If this was done at an ampitheatre with a bunch of cunty exclusivity that one could wave around for getting to go attend it, these same people'd be like OMFG I LOVED IT.  IT WAS MAJESTICALLY EPIC NOSTALGIA FEELS FROM MY CHILDHOOD.

I hate everyone.

This stuff is f*ckin cool.  Its got the same atmospheric setup, and the same rhythms and layering, just with better instruments.   

then theres dummies like this:

lol, funny story.

The merchant dances in the game, unless I somehow just see him f*cking moving around and hes not actually.

YouTube gamers need to just f*ckin stop.

Opethian

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2018, 11:58:49 PM »
I like the new Matango song more

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:11:42 AM by Opethian »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

wiseau

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
I just don't see any reason to really get this over a super nintendo cart. It costs about as much, but looks and sounds so much worse.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
I just don't see any reason to really get this over a super nintendo cart. It costs about as much, but looks and sounds so much worse.

Stop overreacting.

It uses alot of SNES sfx, and you can use the SNES OST if you're that triggered by anything that isn't from the 16 bit era, lol.

Saying vibrant 3D overhead looks "so much worse" than pixel art is kinda dense in the first place man.

It doesn't look bad.  It just doesn't look like an SNES game because it's.....

not an SNES game.

wiseau

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
Stop overreacting.
More like apathy really. I was hoping the PS4 version would at least add in some of the content they had to remove when they downgraded the game to the SNES. Unfortunately it's just the snes game with a different coat of low-poly 3d paint.

seieienbu

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
I haven't picked up the game yet.  I'd be more interested if I hadn't played SoM so recently, but I feel like I finished it just before this was announced.  I also thought that the combat wasn't remotely as entertaining as I'd remembered it from when I was a kid so I'm a bit jaded on the game.

As for the graphics?  It looks really cheap to me so it didn't immediately jump out screaming "You have to buy me!" 
I was hoping the PS4 version would at least add in some of the content they had to remove when they downgraded the game to the SNES. Unfortunately it's just the snes game with a different coat of low-poly 3d paint.

I haven't heard much about this.  I recall hearing that the game was originally supposed to be on the SNES CD but I don't know how true that is.  What was removed?

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 04:04:17 AM »
Secret of Mana's combat was always sort of stupid in the way that it queues up hits and you watch damage from 5 seconds ago pop up after it's waited it's turn.

at least they didn't change it!