Author Topic: PC-FX GA Brand New  (Read 5956 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PC-FX GA Brand New
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
"Saying he's probably wrong doesn't mean I think he's actually wrong!  You're twisting my words!!!"

Ell Oh f*cking Ell.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »
"Saying he's probably wrong doesn't mean I think he's actually wrong!  You're twisting my words!!!"

Ell Oh f*cking Ell.

pedantic/exaggerating isn't saying someones wrong...

pedantic people are usually right. 

You're trying way too hard to do something that isn't actually there.  lol.   Slow day at work?

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

elmer

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
FFS Elmer, stop being a tool.

My second post, after I'd been accused of threadcrapping, was definitely a bit more dickish than I'm happy with, but there's nothing in my initial post that I have any problem with having said.

The OP was making a claim that was incorrect, and then posted a link to a video that contains a bunch of inaccurate statements.

But, apart from that, he posted a lot of really good pictures of what he's selling, and the price seems pretty reasonable.

That doesn't stop it from being a pretty $150 paperweight if you don't have a correctly-spec'd PC-9801.

This is a nice video of someone actually running a PC-FXGA in their PC-98 computer ...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 08:20:30 AM »
The funny part is, it's a 150$ paperweight unless you have a 150lb paperweight to attach it to, lol.

hell yeah.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
Thread moved.  It's best not to be a condescending ass when you've already failed yourself.

Maybe I incorrectly assumed I didn't have to explain what this is... Here of all places.

I don't think anyone here is a stranger to odd Japanese hardware.

Sounds like it's not for you, but don't threadcrap calling it a paperweight.

Come down off your high horse.  Esteban and Elmer aren't 100% ignorant of what it is; they were asking for additional information, but I guess you can't be bothered to oblige.  Thanks for being such a standup, helpful member of the community, and pimping your ebay wares here.... in the wrong subforum.

Honestly, it will be a paperweight for 99% of prospective buyers.  Even the 'normal' PC-FX is little more than a conversation piece for many owners, at least once they've sampled a few games and been scared off by the strong gaijin protection.  :lol:

If one of the better coders here were to launch a crowd funding campaign to develop a tool that can reliably count how many times you’ve told someone on this forum to get off a high horse I would contribute $20 to that cause.

In addition to it being overdone to the point of it practically being your catchphrase, I’m not sure if this is even a decent use of the metaphor.

As for Esteban...he’s old, I do the same thing now. I find out about some cool thing and when I go to punch it into my googler many of the top results are ME taking about it that last time I “discovered” it.

I’ve never bought a newly discovered thing not realizing I used to own it, I’m not that far gone yet.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
So are there any advantages to playing FX games this way? Obviously the video could be slightly better since it would be RGB. Are there any other potential upgrades like access speed?

elmer

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
So are there any advantages to playing FX games this way? Obviously the video could be slightly better since it would be RGB. Are there any other potential upgrades like access speed?

Nope, not that I can think of.

I don't remember any improvement in level loading speed when I was working on the Zeroigar translation, but a fast CD drive will definitely have a better seek time. I was a bit worried about that when we added the subtitles to the video, but SamIAm confirmed that we were OK on real hardware.

The PC-FXGA's video doesn't display on the PC-98's RGB monitor ... you need to plug a composite or s-video TV into the PC-FXGA board.

The board's main point of interest is that it contains the PC-FX's 3D hardware that never shipped for the original console.

But you needed to buy the extra-cost GMAKER or GMAKER PLUS packages in order to get the development software for the board. It's not included in the base package that the OP is selling.

I've never actually seen the retail packaging for that add-on software.

Luckily, someone posted the complete package on one of those sites that we can't mention here.  :wink:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
No, my catch phrase is "go f*ck yourself".

I can't think of any games off hand that have annoyingly long load times on the regular system, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in how a game feels.  Can you rip and run commercial games from HDD?  Probably not, but I bet any home brew games would feel pretty snappy compared to if you burnt 'em to disc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Again with Esteban though, I am confused, because I swear he's already commented in threads about this stuff and already knows stuff.    I get optimistically wanting more information to the point of impossibility, but I really would've expected him to know better given that he was participating in a much more detailed thread already...

Ha! You just want to cook up some hot juicy drama where there is NONE. :)

You are confused?

It’s incredibly basic:

(1) I always ask for info from *multiple* sources. A seemingly simple “throwaway” thread like this can payoff (not always, but if you don’t ask, you’ll never create the opportunity for the conversation to grow/evolve organically).

(2) I don’t know everything, and my “personal” notes are incomplete (real life gets in the way). Additionally, my own notes/scans are scattered across countless files/documents/tables I’ve made over the past 20 years (various hard drives  and Zipdisks and CDs...seriously).

(3) Even when I have notes on a topic/issue, I often have a different perspective when I revisit it at a future date.

(4) You read my post, correct? As NECRO and Swimbz pointed out, I specifically asked for *errata*/additional docs such as  errata, tech notices, disclaimers, warnings, troubleshooting guides and various little items that might be overlooked.

Finally: I have never focused on the PC-FX. I only have a basic working knowledge of it.... PC-FX has always been on the periphery...

I sincerely feel that you want drama. Instead...I’m boring and old. Sorry.

:)

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 01:39:18 PM »
No, my catch phrase is "go f*ck yourself".

I can't think of any games off hand that have annoyingly long load times on the regular system, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in how a game feels.  Can you rip and run commercial games from HDD?  Probably not, but I bet any home brew games would feel pretty snappy compared to if you burnt 'em to disc.

Normal people say “go f*ck yourself” all the time. It’s no catch phrase. Most people don’t say “Oh climb down from your high horse” more that once or twice in their entire life though. I’ve said “Use the Force” or “narfle the garthok” more often then the high horse thing.

I think you may just have a shitty horse and it’s making you obsessed with horse height, kinda like how that certain kind of short guy always wants to kick someones ass. It becomes all consuming if you let it, the quest to bring everyone down to your level.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

Nope, not that I can think of.

I don't remember any improvement in level loading speed when I was working on the Zeroigar translation, but a fast CD drive will definitely have a better seek time. I was a bit worried about that when we added the subtitles to the video, but SamIAm confirmed that we were OK on real hardware.

The PC-FXGA's video doesn't display on the PC-98's RGB monitor ... you need to plug a composite or s-video TV into the PC-FXGA board.

The board's main point of interest is that it contains the PC-FX's 3D hardware that never shipped for the original console.

But you needed to buy the extra-cost GMAKER or GMAKER PLUS packages in order to get the development software for the board. It's not included in the base package that the OP is selling.

I've never actually seen the retail packaging for that add-on software.

Luckily, someone posted the complete package on one of those sites that we can't mention here.  :wink:

Oh climb on down for that high horse, please.

Sorry, it just isn’t working for me. I can only make it apply in a very short list of circumstances that I rarely find myself in.

I guess I’m not surprised by what you said. Most things like this are locked into the speed of the thing they emulate no matter what you mess with. Also, this isn’t even the first NEC computer to use parallel video outputs because it had %90 of a console inside of it. Since the FX isn’t native RGB the only way this computer would be able output FX RGB would be if the PC itself actually had some say in running the games hardware-wise which it probably doesn’t.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
I sincerely feel that you want drama. Instead...I’m boring and old. Sorry.

Drama, from you?  Not really.   This isn't really that juicy.  Elmer even said his post was more dickish than he would've liked, so, *shrug*.

It's more like, as Elmer pointed out, you have like 23000 posts, lol.   I've seen you post on basically the same shit before.   My bad for assuming you keep track.    But like you said, you're old.  Maybe you forget stuff.  I don't know.  You're not that into the PC-FX.  It's whatever.

My "uhhhh" mostly comes from the fact that it's a bunch of sealed stuff so what was he going to show you compared to the opened ones? lol.  If it wasn't listed as "brand new" and the pictures weren't a bunch of sealed things, I would be less jackie-chan-face-meme about it.

I get the excited "oh man show me stuff", but, c'mon dude.  It's a bunch of sealed shit...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »
FFS Elmer, stop being a tool.

My second post, after I'd been accused of threadcrapping, was definitely a bit more dickish than I'm happy with, but there's nothing in my initial post that I have any problem with having said.

The OP was making a claim that was incorrect, and then posted a link to a video that contains a bunch of inaccurate statements.

But, apart from that, he posted a lot of really good pictures of what he's selling, and the price seems pretty reasonable.

That doesn't stop it from being a pretty $150 paperweight if you don't have a correctly-spec'd PC-9801.

This is a nice video of someone actually running a PC-FXGA in their PC-98 computer ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtWy-J04DYA

This video is really interesting. So are the programs he's loading at the end (which he said were DOS based) using that 3D acceleration that is only found on the card version of the FX?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
How about:
A) Resuming to attack the OP?
B) Providing more cool information about that piece of hardware.
C) ?

On another note, este is still gold.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:58:22 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

elmer

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 05:24:03 AM »
Can you rip and run commercial games from HDD?  Probably not, but I bet any home brew games would feel pretty snappy compared to if you burnt 'em to disc.

If you've got a compatible sound card in your PC-98, GMAKER PLUS comes with a program that lets you create and use a CD Image on your HDD, but I've not used it.

The programs that run the board are all DOS based, and that limits you to 2GB FAT16 partitions, so you're not going to store lots of CD images on your HDD.

This video is really interesting. So are the programs he's loading at the end (which he said were DOS based) using that 3D acceleration that is only found on the card version of the FX?

You've got to reboot into DOS to run the board, but it includes a couple of graphics utilities that run in Win95 (16-bit Windows).

You can see him trying to run a couple of example programs that load data into the PC-FXGA's RAM and run from there.

Here's the fighting game funning properly ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMibP6z9oKA

The other stuff, where you see him running "mixplay" or any "*.mix" file, is just playing back pre-rendered video from the HDD.

How about:
B) Providing more cool information about that piece of hardware.

What do you want to know?

Search YouTube for "PC-FXGA" and you'll find a bunch of videos.

Just remember, there was never any real commercial development for the board, so everything is pretty half-assed.