Author Topic: HD Remasters/Rereleases  (Read 957 times)

bartre

HD Remasters/Rereleases
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
So we all know that we're firmly in the realm of remasters, but which ones are worth it and which ones blow?

For my money, the one that pops to mind is the steam rerelease of Sonic Adventure DX.
It's a retouched version of the Xbox Live Arcade version.
Which is a port of the 2003 PC release.
Which is a port of the Gamecube game.
Which is a port of the Dreamcast original.

not to mention the load of odd graphical downgrades that occurred between DC and GCN, which were all carried forward to future versions.  This includes reduced detail on buildings, a removal of water effects, and a complete change (and downgrade, IMO) of the lighting engine.

good news, there's mods to fix a lot of this stuff, but neither PC version is perfect.

another one that pops to mind in the *almost* awesome category are the Kingdom Hearts remasters for PS3 (haven't tried PS4 yet)

all the content is there, and it's the final japan-only releases, bundled in with some of the spinoff stuff. sounds great, right?
welllllllllll, first off, glitches.  I came across these somewhat frequently when I played them, but it's been a minute, maybe they've been patched.

Then there's loading times. ugh.
it doesn't have nearly the effect in #1, since there's not much in the way of active loading, but in #2 when you use certain specials (like the Drives) it will load mid-battle.
As an extra problem here, the added load times remove the free combo you'd get from activating the special, as the shockwave knocks enemies up in the air, and in the PS2 game it loaded fast enough that you'd be on your feet and ready to attack before they hit the ground.

Lost Monkey

Re: HD Remasters/Rereleases
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »
HD remaster of Daytona USA on PS3 is freakin amazing.  As is Nights. 

crazydean

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »
The Ico and Shadow of Colossus collection for PS3 looks pretty great. No complaints there.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Gypsy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:13:35 AM »
Yakuza Kiwami. Really no reason to play the PS2 version anymore.

jtucci31

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
The Ico and Shadow of Colossus collection for PS3 looks pretty great. No complaints there.
I love those too, that's how I first played both of those games and they hold up so well.

Funny enough, though, they're remaking the remake of Shadow of the Colossus for PS4 now. (and I'm still pretty excited for it. It's maybe one of my favorite games ever, I'm a chump)

NightWolve

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
Both amazing games, epic final battle in Shadow of the Colossus, loved every bit of it, Sony gave the PS2 a great send off with it. I didn't know they were being remade, but they deserve it!

crazydean

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »
Since they are remaking the game, I hope they add in some of the crazy colossi that got dropped in the final version. There was a cool spider and a Phoenix!

http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Spider
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

jtucci31

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
Both amazing games, epic final battle in Shadow of the Colossus, loved every bit of it, Sony gave the PS2 a great send off with it. I didn't know they were being remade, but they deserve it!
So far they've only announced that they're remaking Shadow of the Colossus, not Ico.

TDIRunner

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
Ico and SOTC were already mentioned, but they are so good, it's worth mentioning again. 

The Tomb Raider Trilogy is also a nice set which includes HD remasters of Legend and Anniversary along with Underworld all on one disc (and usually for under $20).

If you are a God of War fan, God of War Saga includes HD remasters of 1 & 2 on one disc along with 3 on a second disc.  It also includes download codes for HD remasters of both PSP games.  Another big set for usually under $20.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

bartre

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
I hate Shadow of the Colossus.
I've said it elsewhere, but I hate it enough that it bears repeating

jtucci31

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
What a shame. Why is that? THe controls?

bartre

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
What a shame. Why is that? THe controls?

It's so boring and so empty.
like, all there is to really do is kill lizards or colossi.
only one of those is necessary.

also, I don't care for the art style, it just looked washed out to me.

Gredler

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess got pretty good HD upgrades on Wii U.

I like the Raiden Project on PS1 - does that count?!

schweaty

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »
The 3ds version of ocarina of time is perfect example of how to do it.  It's a complete remake graphics-wise but retains all the same gameplay.  The kind of update that makes a somewhat dated looking game fit right into today almost 20 years later
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:23:33 AM by schweaty »

Groover

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »
Resident Evil REmake was a great rerelease of a rerelease. Then Capcom has rereleased RE0, RE4,RE5,RE6, RECVX.

REmake is my favorite and I was thrilled when it got released. There is a RE2 remake in the works. That has been silent since its announcement.