Author Topic: Got a 32x...  (Read 2555 times)

Bloufo

Re: Got a 32x...
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 07:07:33 AM »
XMD-1 has a model 1 sized plug.

I had a look just now. Unlike the others, that one (XMD-1) doesn't convert RGB into an S-video signal.

Black Tiger

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
XMD-1 has a model 1 sized plug.

I had a look just now. Unlike the others, that one (XMD-1) doesn't convert RGB into an S-video signal.

So is it just a glorfied cable adapter?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

seieienbu

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
Sigh.  I bumped my Sega Tower of Power and now my 32X no longer works.  I'm hoping it's just a dislodged ribbon cable but I won't have time to take a look at it until Monday.  I've had the thing forever.  I'm hoping that I didn't kill the blasted thing somehow.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
NOT THE TOWA!

hope you get it fixed nice and easy.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

grolt

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2017, 03:27:58 AM »
Just wanted to add that the VIRTUA ports (RACING and FIGHTER) are both better on the 32X compared to Saturn/MD. Time Warner's port of VR on the Saturn is really lazy, with simplified landscapes and longer load times. Personally I think the Saturn version is worse than the MD port. You and his team worked directly on optimizing that game for the home on the 32X version, and the game really plays great for the system. I love it.

Similar story for VF. The Saturn version (which I still can't hate for nostalgic reasons) was such a poor rush job. The 32X version has less tearing, more camera angles and no load times. The only plus on the Saturn is the killer CD soundtrack, but the chiptunes on the 32X version certainly have a charm. I really love the control and polygonal style of the first VF compared to the sequels, so for me the 32X version still gets a lot of play.

The MKII port is also solid and again better than the Saturn with all its Shang Tsung load times. The backgrounds using the MD to process take a hit in terms of color, but otherwise it's the best it got for that game on SEGA.

COSMIC CARNAGE doesn't seem to get much love but it's a pretty comical gore fighter with some ridiculous fatalities. Some weird lag and control certainly hold it back from being a "good" game but it is outlandish enough to really be fun. A cool exclusive for the system on the cheap at any rate. MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP is another cheap, janky exclusive I've got an affinity for also.

While the SEGA AGES ports of AFTER BURNER and SPACE HARRIER might be more arcade perfect on the Saturn, I find the 32X versions control the best and are usually the ones I revisit.

Honestly, not a terrible library, but outside of the arcade ports it doesn't have a lot of personality to distinguish it as its own, and the exclusives like TEMPO, KNUCKLES CHAOTIX and KOLIBRI are all a little too weird to really make an impact.
I'm a notorious strange man.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
I actually play this more than my Jaguar...  Seriously.

seieienbu

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
Hurray, the problem was simple.  I re-seated the ribbon cable and my 32X sprang back to life.

COSMIC CARNAGE doesn't seem to get much love but it's a pretty comical gore fighter with some ridiculous fatalities. Some weird lag and control certainly hold it back from being a "good" game but it is outlandish enough to really be fun. A cool exclusive for the system on the cheap at any rate. MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP is another cheap, janky exclusive I've got an affinity for also.

Lol, I've put Cosmic Carnage in a mystery fighting game tournament before.  It's dumb enough to be fun for a brief period of time but definitely not worth getting into for realz.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93