Author Topic: Got a 32x...  (Read 2558 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Got a 32x...
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
I got my 32x for free and still feel like I overpaid. That said, the only games I have for it are Doom and Star Wars Arcade. Doom isn't the worst port, but really, there are so many other ways to play it that are better. Star Wars Arcade is decent, but it's pretty hard, though it is the only console port of a pretty obscure game. Apparently there were barely any cabinets in the US, which is odd considering that it's a Star Wars game. I thought it was a port of the '80s Atari game when I bought it.

I thought Star Wars arcade also got a “bonus disk” game cube release? 

Bloufo

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
I thought about trying my luck and setting up the 32x on my Laseractive until I realized there wasn't an av out on the LA in order to do so.

With a mod it can be done.

bob

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:39 AM »
I got my 32x for free and still feel like I overpaid. That said, the only games I have for it are Doom and Star Wars Arcade. Doom isn't the worst port, but really, there are so many other ways to play it that are better. Star Wars Arcade is decent, but it's pretty hard, though it is the only console port of a pretty obscure game. Apparently there were barely any cabinets in the US, which is odd considering that it's a Star Wars game. I thought it was a port of the '80s Atari game when I bought it.

yeah, its accessible on one of the rogue games.  i forget which one

xelement5x

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »
I got a 32x as a trade recently for helping a friend repair one of his systems.  I just use an everdrive with it to try out all the games.

If you are into RGB I find that the 32x improves the video ever so slightly so that is probably the best thing I like about it.  I would highly recommend the cables from retrogamecave to avoid having so many power bricks.

Hmm..weird that it actually improves your video quality.

The way the 32X works is it takes the stock RGB video signal from the Genesis, does an overlay on it for 32X games (if needed) and then outputs that signal through the 32X AV out.  So it works as a nice filter for regular Genesis stuff.  The composite video out of the 32X is actually really nice and gets rid of the rainbow banding on the genesis signal pretty well in my opinion. 

I thought about trying my luck and setting up the 32x on my Laseractive until I realized there wasn't an av out on the LA in order to do so.

With a mod it can be done.

Yup, you'll need some sort of custom cabling as well but it's a lot of work for 32X on the LaserActive.  I've never tested if a 32X CD game would work though, hmmm.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

blueraven

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »
I totally forgot about the 32x. Doom sucked on it.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

GaijinD

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »

Nope. That's the '80s Atari game. What got ported to 32x is an early '90s Sega Model 1 game. It's the predecessor to Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. This, not this.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 05:28:16 AM »
That Star Wars game is actually pretty fun but not fun enough to warrant a 32X alone.

You could just play Wing Commander on Sega CD.   It's a better game.

EDIT:  Thinking now, I notice the best 32x games are all the cockpit games...

Metalhead, shadow squadron, star wars...

The rest of the library is whatevery.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

xelement5x

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
Metal Head is more fun when you play with the portraits as animu characters I think.  Probably just my perception though.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »

The 32X itself sucked so much my mom used to have me vacuum my room with it as a teenager.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »

The 32X itself sucked so much my mom used to have me vacuum my room with it as a teenager.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:03:48 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

turboswimbz

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ZING
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

GohanX

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
- Blackthorne
- Tempo
- Shadow Squadron
- Star Wars Arcade
- Virtua Racing
-Virtua Fighter
-Space Harrier
-After Burner

I would have said Chaotix, but personally not my thing. Like a stubborn dog on a leash.

Kolibri is also rated as amongst the better games for the system. But I never know wtf I'm supposed to be doing.

I used to collect 32x, and I agree with all of this. I mostly just play Virtua Racing on it though, I love that game. Also, the ports of Space Harrier and Afterburner are fantastic. Probably the best you can get without emulation or paying a ton for the Saturn ones.

Mathius

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »
I gotta say the most impressive game on the system is Shadow Squadron. I personally think it looks better than Star Fox but lacks that game's charm and atmosphere. If you enjoy Wing Commander and Colony Wars-style games you'll enjoy SS at least a little bit.

My biggest gripe with the 32X is its video output. Even if you have an S-Video modded Genesis you'll still be stuck with Sega's horrible composite output as your only option. I'll have to ask some of my friends to see what an S-vid mod would entail on the little mushroom.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »

My biggest gripe with the 32X is its video output. Even if you have an S-Video modded Genesis you'll still be stuck with Sega's horrible composite output as your only option. I'll have to ask some of my friends to see what an S-vid mod would entail on the little mushroom.

Why not use RGB?
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

Why not use RGB?
Personally I haven't picked up a cable yet due to being poor and all. I was writing from the perspective of the average Joe who doesn't have access to a PVM.  :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406