Author Topic: What does EGM think of the PC-FX?  (Read 1777 times)

GUTS

What does EGM think of the PC-FX?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 07:10:22 AM »
Bill Gates rules.

Odonadon

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 07:14:58 AM »
I personally try to give as little money to MS as possible.  Which is why my XBox is second hand, my controllers are 3rd party, and my power and AV cables are also 3rd party.

I bought MS Plus! 98 back in the day, I think that was the only time I directly gave money to MS.

I'm with SignOfZelda - I'll avoid MS if I can.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

FM-77

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 08:19:10 AM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
SignOfZelda

Ha ha ha!  :lol:

I'm a Microsoft boycotter myself. I try to use Linux as much as I can, but sometimes I have to use a proudly downloaded, pirated, cracked and illegal version of Windows XP. I've never bought a Microsoft product and I never will.

It actually hurts my hands to play on the original Xbox controller. Me (reluctantly) and a friend used to play Burnout 3 on his Xbox, and that was very, very painful for me. :roll:  It was also really hard, as the controller was nearly impossible to use. The trigger buttons are the worst - why do you have to push them so hard?

As for the PC-FX, I'm sure it is a pretty bad system, but I'm totally convinced to get one. I LOVE that thing, and the game boxes are just as awesome. It is a top-priority item for me to get.

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
I'm also one of the many who would never purchase Windows; been pirating it my whole life. I also love to see how nearly all the programs I use on my computer are open source programs :D .

Quote from: "Zeldane ;) "

As for the PC-FX, I'm sure it is a pretty bad system, but I'm totally convinced to get one. I LOVE that thing, and the game boxes are just as awesome. It is a top-priority item for me to get.

Haha, I like this point and agree with it in a way, though I find the system to actually be a little more playable than people make it out to be. I can't wait until there is steady homebrew development for the console though, then we can really make it a worthwhile console.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »
Haha, I like this point and agree with it in a way, though I find the system to actually be a little more playable than people make it out to be. I can't wait until there is steady homebrew development for the console though, then we can really make it a worthwhile console.

Yeah, I should have said that although the system sucks, I definitely plan on getting one someday.

Odonadon

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 04:58:44 PM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Quote from: "Odonadon"
SignOfZelda

Ha ha ha!  :lol:

[/quote]

That is a pretty funny slip - sorry SignOfZeta :)

I also love to see how nearly all the programs I use on my computer are open source programs Very Happy .

I hear ya.  A far cry from the way things were even just a few years ago.  Pretty much everything I use on a day to day basis (except the OS) is open source.

Anyway, back on topic :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

GUTS

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 06:00:51 AM »
I've never understood why so many internet nerds hate microsoft so much, yet love Nintendo/Sony, whatever.  Just in case you guys hadn't figured it out yet, they're all huge corporations with only one goal: to make money.

esteban

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
I've never understood why so many internet nerds hate microsoft so much, yet love Nintendo/Sony, whatever.  Just in case you guys hadn't figured it out yet, they're all huge corporations with only one goal: to make money.
Well, there are lots of reasons. If you want, we can list them all. Yes, Nintendo, Sony and MS are all greedy corporations, but there are huge differences between them. Nintendo is games-only. Sony has music, film, some computer hardware and home electronics. But MS has the broadest and deepest impact on many of our lives since it's OS (and software) dominates the computer world, and MS has used its monopoly, power, money, influence and lobbyists to limit, hurt or infringe on our rights as consumers and computer users. That's why so many folks have a gripe with MS: they have a history of exploiting us that goes far wider and deeper than Nintendo or Sony.

When the politics of the computer industry (and all the other areas of life effected by it) are under discussion, MS is at the very core of nearly all issues.

And I am talking about many fundamental issues -- such as what digital formats our government(s) should use to archive and share public documents -- that go well beyond mere "entertainment." :)
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 10:02:37 AM »
Bing bong!!  :D

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"

It's not like I don't use Windows or anything, because I do and I still plan to. But me paying over $100 just for a operating system is simply not worth it, so I'll just keep pirating and not bother to give Microsoft a dime for it. Why don't I use Microsoft programs? Simple, they suck. :D SourceForge is your friend :) .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:59 PM »
Oh I wasn't lumping you in with the internet nerds Steve, I was talking about all these other guys.

nodtveidt

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »
98% of the "applications" on sourceforge are garbage, sorta like 98% of the "applications" Microsoft puts out are garbage. People whine all the time about how much crap software there is for Windows...then use equally crap or WORSE crap on Linux. At first, this strange phenomenon didn't make sense, but then I realized that the Linux crowd has this strange need for justification coupled with the typical "well at least it isn't Microsoft" retort. This has resulted in a long long stream of substandard Linux applications that people simply "accept" because it's Linux. How long did it take to get a decent replacement for GiMP, for example? 10 years or so? Sheesh. Now, I'm not a Microsoft fan or anything, what I am is realistic...it makes zero sense to go harping on Microsoft for making shit software when barely anyone outside of Microsoft can make it right either.

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
98% of the "applications" on sourceforge are garbage, sorta like 98% of the "applications" Microsoft puts out are garbage. People whine all the time about how much crap software there is for Windows...then use equally crap or WORSE crap on Linux. At first, this strange phenomenon didn't make sense, but then I realized that the Linux crowd has this strange need for justification coupled with the typical "well at least it isn't Microsoft" retort. This has resulted in a long long stream of substandard Linux applications that people simply "accept" because it's Linux. How long did it take to get a decent replacement for GiMP, for example? 10 years or so? Sheesh. Now, I'm not a Microsoft fan or anything, what I am is realistic...it makes zero sense to go harping on Microsoft for making shit software when barely anyone outside of Microsoft can make it right either.

I don't use Linux even though I use a lot of made-for-Linux programs on my Windows OS, but I prefer to use Windows simply because it's easier for me to customize. I simply use a lot of open source programs that were originally designed for Linux because I generally find them to be better than software designed for Windows. I'm not exactly bashing software for Windows, but I generally prefer de open source software :) .

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 11:21:41 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"

There are so many alternatives to both open source, and MS that its mind boggling. Its not the either-or situation you make it out to be whatsoever. MS software honestly isn't that good. Using the OS makes sense (even though it sucks) for various reasons, but why anyone would use the stupidly feature heavy MS Office to type a letter is beyond me. Nobody, anywhere, uses even 1/4 the features that huge beast offers. Then there is Media Player, which sucks, but not as bad as the wmv format itself. WTF makes people to this day still encode videos in this suck format? Despite having pretty much the same sort of quality/size attributes as other formats, it seems to hit the CPU twice as hard to actually play a WMV movie. Also, skipping through the movie with the scrubber is laggy, and often causes playback to f*ck up untill you restart the program. Then there is the scan tool I use at work (a Honda dealership) that runs on WinCE and crashes all the time. Then there is the WinXP Embedded based ATM that my old bank uses. I actually switched to another bank because the only ATM they have in town is out of order at least 1/3 of the time I try to use it, and I can't make it there during business hours. Compare this to the old AS400 ATMs that never break down until there is a failure of a physical part like a receipt printer or something.

The only good piece of software I've ever used from MS is Fortza Motorsport for XBox, and MS's game division is the one I avoid more than any other. MS has no expertise in games whatsoever, they merely decided (as mega corporations routinely do) than the money Sony was making from the business was in fact money that MS was losing. So MS enters the business, loses more money than it took to bring down Sega, SNK, and anyone else you can name combined, and in this race to the bottom now Sony isn't making any money either.

MS, honestly, isn't good at anything, at least not anything I've been exposed to, and every day they are looking to new businesses they can dominate with their mediocrity. I will not give my cash to people that are really bad at their jobs just out of some base capitalistic respect/worship  for all the money they have.

FM-77

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 11:47:07 PM »
Don't forget: Microsoft hasn't come up with anything themselves. Internet Explorer was a rip-off of Netscape, and the latest IE7 is just Firefox with a new skin.  :lol: