Author Topic: Super SD System 3  (Read 15570 times)

xelement5x

Re: Super SD System 3
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
So would you consider PCECP or PCEdaisakusen the better source of game titles?

I've actually completely forgotten about PCE Daisakusen even though it's in my bookmark.
And I may know why now. This is their page for the same game, which contains very few information, in particular, no cover scan or screenshot. Possibly no contributer has them.
As far as I remember, though data may be sparse, (nearly?) all the entries have cover scans and screenshots (though quality may not be good) in PCECP, plus it had a comprehensive search system... until it was broken that is...

Anyway, back to topic! Too bad I wouldn't get the Super SD System 3, as I only own a PCE Duo.

The non-working search is odd.  I'm not sure how it's put together but it just looks like it's not posting the query terms to the results page from what I can gather. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
PCECP was great.  I loved how you could search by genre, publisher, and number of players instead of just by title.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:09 AM »
pcedaisakusen is the best now because you can sort by date, format, etc.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

VmprHntrD

« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
How are people feeling about this device now with that 2nd version of the UpperGrafx out recently?  It seems aside from hucards you have the same basic feature set but comes in clean clear modern HDMI.

broken

« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
Has there been any compatibility tests of the new UpperGrafx? The SSDS3 has been tested with 100% game compatibility.

The DVI output is nice, but it mentions 1 frame of lag. Add that to whatever you TV has and that might be noticeable.

Also, the UpperGrafx still requires you to have all the system cards for whatever stuff you are playing. Actually, I don't think it emulates any Hucard system cards or games at all? The SSDS3 has that all built in. Supports all HU and CD stuffs.

And the instruction on the UpperGrafx website are cryptic as hell about what all features it has and what image formats it supports. It seems like you have to use their special tool to create the cd images.

Plus the thing is butt ugly compared to the Super SD System 3. But that's IMHO.

In my eyes, the only redeeming thing the UpperGrafx has is the DVI video output.

I would like to see a really good review on the UpperGrafx though. I looked and haven't seen anything yet.

Black Tiger

« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
I thought that the big problem with the Upper Grafx is that it essentially drops a frame?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2018, 01:35:14 AM »
How are people feeling about this device now with that 2nd version of the UpperGrafx out recently?  It seems aside from hucards you have the same basic feature set but comes in clean clear modern HDMI.

The price of the UperGrafx is too high.  If you factor in the cost of an Arcade Card and Everdrive (and DVI to HDMI adapter if you really want HDMI) to get the same capabilities already built-in to a SSD3, you could buy a SSD3 and nice upscaler and have a more compact system and an upscaler to use with other devices.

turboswimbz

« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:19 AM »
I still feel the same,

Let the kinks get worked out of the SS3 then grab it for the up-scaling / Everdrive built in one.  I agree with NEcro there seem to be other options out there for what the UG gives you. It's a really nice option if you want to go that route, but I'll let the SS3 work itself out into a better device and pick up one of those.

Ride my PVM plasma till it dies.

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »

The price of the UperGrafx is too high.  If you factor in the cost of an Arcade Card and Everdrive (and DVI to HDMI adapter if you really want HDMI) to get the same capabilities already built-in to a SSD3, you could buy a SSD3 and nice upscaler and have a more compact system and an upscaler to use with other devices.

I'll have to look into that then.  I don't care to get into arcade card stuff.  I wouldn't bother with that frameister device but that OSSC is tempting the more I've looked at that.  So it would I guess come down to the cost of OSSC+SSS3 vs UG2+ED+DVI2HDMI.  This still assumes if people would start reviewing it if the UG2 even works well with discs.

Trenton_net

« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2018, 03:17:50 AM »
I thought that the big problem with the Upper Grafx is that it essentially drops a frame?

I was under the same impression. Via the conversion process to HDMI, the device has to drop a frame to keep sync. So they need to use special filtering or interpolation to try and hide the judder. It's nice that it supports HDMI, but there are other line doublers/upscaler devices which do this way better.

To be honest, while I applaud the work they did, I don't think it's an SSS3 killer/replacement. Everything they did seems to feel like a compromise. For example, they got CD-ROM images working, but they support only the strange formats no one uses. To select a CD-ROM image you need to use the CD Player, because they were too lazy to make a proper menu. For SD card support, rather than work with a real file system (Fat32, etc), they just made the SD card blank with no file system (So you can't use it like a standard memory card. Ie. to erase an item, you need to delete everything past that item in sequence. Lord help you if the game you want to delete is at the start of your SD card!). To transfer files, you get a USB port, but it's treated like a classic serial port (Need special drivers/software that they provide)

The list of compromises just goes on. :-/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:24:16 AM by Trenton_net »

Punch

« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2018, 04:04:15 AM »
The upper grafx is unpolished and lazily engineered. I mean WTF?

I'm still waiting for the GDEmu guy's version of the CD hardware emulator.

you get a USB port, but it's treated like a serial port

Universal Serial Bus. :P

Trenton_net

« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2018, 04:23:28 AM »

Universal Serial Bus. :P

Lol. My bad :-) What I meant to imply is that it behaves very unlike most USB mass storage devices.

CZroe

« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »
Has there been any compatibility tests of the new UpperGrafx? The SSDS3 has been tested with 100% game compatibility.

The DVI output is nice, but it mentions 1 frame of lag. Add that to whatever you TV has and that might be noticeable.

Also, the UpperGrafx still requires you to have all the system cards for whatever stuff you are playing. Actually, I don't think it emulates any Hucard system cards or games at all? The SSDS3 has that all built in. Supports all HU and CD stuffs.

And the instruction on the UpperGrafx website are cryptic as hell about what all features it has and what image formats it supports. It seems like you have to use their special tool to create the cd images.

Plus the thing is butt ugly compared to the Super SD System 3. But that's IMHO.

In my eyes, the only redeeming thing the UpperGrafx has is the DVI video output.

I would like to see a really good review on the UpperGrafx though. I looked and haven't seen anything yet.
Hey, man. Did you ever make a video about SSDSys3? I’ve been waiting for it to pop up but haven’t seen it even though I have seen vague references to “Todd’s review.”

Anyway, there isn’t much of any English info for UGX-02. GameTechUS has a UGX-01 back in 2016 and didn’t even mention that it was expected to be able to be an optical drive emulator (the makers long claimed UGX-01 had everything it needed but they weren’t sure about enabling the feature). Can’t even tell in the GameTechUS review if it had an SD card slot. UGX-02 has it enabled with an SD cart slot. Reading their machine-translated Japanese site, it may be that the only real difference is that the SD card slot is populated on the PCB, though their English section says that all components were populated for the feature on the original version (seems contradictory).

It looks like the SD card is accessed RAW without FAT or a standard file system so their tool is as much about reading and writing the SD cards as it is about adapting CD images. It probably isn’t too different than the tool used to prep ROMs for NeoSD.

It does support dumping HuCards though they claim that this functionality is unofficial. They probably don’t want to get in legal trouble (what are Japans laws regarding this?). Another thing it does that SSDSys3 does not is save digital snapshots/screen grabs.

For almost anyone with a Turbo Everdrive, the lack of HuCard and System Card functions isn’t such a big deal. Turbo ED can do any HuCard game and replicate all the system cards except the Arcade Card for those 8 or so titles. Most anyone who cares about them probably already has an Arcade Card or a better system for playing the same games... mostly SNK fighters and a couple Majong games, so just screw Majong and get a NeoGeo. ;) The SSDSys3 definitely gets a value advantage for anyone who doesn’t have a TurboED since that’s another $70+. Keeping my TurboED for the Turbo Express anyway so it might as well continue serving double duty as a Super System Card.

The single frame of lag thing is referring to a frame buffer that is used to maintain 60hz sync on a console that does not output exactly 60hz. You get the same issues with an SNES and an OSSC (some TVs won’t tolerate it). If it’s properly designed like the Analogue Super NT at original speed then it’s “up to” one frame of lag where it starts at 0ms latency and ever so slightly increases each frame until the system gets a full frame out of sync. From there, it drops back to 0ms and starts all over. That means it would average a half-frame of latency with a single frame maximum. My understanding is that the existing multi-out continues to work fine much like UltraHDMI. That means you can have the best of both worlds for capturing high-quality DVI/HDMI while playing with zero latency from analog outputs or existing RGB mods.

Yes, the only redeeming thing the UpperGrafx has in direct comparison is DVI/HDMI unless you’re some weirdo who decides based on the screenshot and HuCard dumping features, but that’s because DVI/HDMI is the primary feature. The UGX-01 didn’t do ODE at all though it supposedly is capable with some presumably small alteration (they entertained the idea of converting existing units but have not decided). Unfortunately for Terra Onion, more people are concerned with video quality than they were counting on and they gave it a huge boon by initially ignoring that aspect. Hopefully the revision fixes all of this, though I still think DVI/HDMI could be compelling.

The compatibility info regarding the UGX-02 doesn’t seem to have changed since before the SSDSys3 was even announced. I would hope that it has improved since they reported ~80% of CD titles worked several months ago. It definitely doesn’t sound as good as SSDSys3 in that regard.

So does the 60hz display. To avoid this you’d have to speed up or slow down the entire system to match when using DVI/HDMI because the display interface does not support out of spec or variable refresh rates. That’s how AVS, Hi-Def NES, Nt Mini, and Super Nt deal with it. An attachment can’t speed up or slow down the system. It can display the frames as they are generated. If they come too fast it will have to start buffering the next frame which will add a fraction of a frame of latency that increases with each frame all the way up to one frame of latency. At that point, it drops a frame and returns to zero latency. The only other way to avoid this on an original system running at original speed without adding adding that average half-frame of lag is to allow screen tearing.

The Analogue Super Nt, for example, has all three options: run system at exactly 60hz (0.08hz slower), drop a frame every 750 frames, or allow screen tearing. They may even offer a fourth option: analog adapter for CRTs at 60.08hz. I’m not sure what options UGX has, but dropping 1 frame every whatever frames would average to a half-frame of lag and would not be a deal-killer for me, especially if the other analog outputs continue working at zero latency.

I’d agree except that most of us already have a Turbo ED that functions as a Super System Card. The SNK fighters and Majong games constitute more than half of the Arcade Card exclusives and there are superior platforms for that stuff anyway.

CZroe

Super SD System 3
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »
I still feel the same,

Let the kinks get worked out of the SS3 then grab it for the up-scaling / Everdrive built in one.  I agree with NEcro there seem to be other options out there for what the UG gives you. It's a really nice option if you want to go that route, but I'll let the SS3 work itself out into a better device and pick up one of those.

Ride my PVM plasma till it dies.
To be clear, the UGX is not an scaling analog RGB. It get’s digital and maintains digital for its DVI/HDMI output. It has more in common with, say, an UltraHDMI N64 than a OSSC RGB N64.

Universal Serial Bus.
He never updated after expressing a tiny bit of interest years ago. No reason to think he’s actually working on it. Even if he was, the market is probably too crowded to support a third player. He’d likely abandon it or release his project files or something.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
I’d agree except that most of us already have a Turbo ED that functions as a Super System Card.

Most of us already have a Duo or IFU, TED, Arcade Card, and/or RGB mod and upscaler too, so what's your point?  I seriously doubt that most people buying these things are new to PCE or have been using only a base system for years.

The SNK fighters and Majong games constitute more than half of the Arcade Card exclusives and there are superior platforms for that stuff anyway.

The SNK games are just under half of the Arcade Card library (5 out of 12, and 1 of those 5 is the sole mahjong game), and there's no such thing as a "superior platform" to the PCE.  :P