Author Topic: What games did you beat in 2017?  (Read 1762 times)

jtucci31

Re: What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 02:18:19 AM »
1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

4. BotW is more than just GTA Hyrule in that GTA is more limiting than BotW. OoT shows its age and as someone who has no nostalgia for it, it's a bit hard to grasp currently. I usually prefer 2D Zelda games. LttP being my favorite and LBW was a ton of fun, and the original is great.

6. I would use the short hand weapon? THe axe thing. No f*cking clue, I may need to start over if I ever try again, I ran out of blood vials.

1 - which boss is giving you the most trouble and what weapons do you have?
Misery isn't too bad once you get the hang of dodging her quick shot attack. I recommend standing still and then jetpacking away after it gets close.
Doctor #1 - the double helix attack always threw me off, just gotta practice and learn where the holes are.
Doctor #2 - just keep as much distance between you two and you'll be fine.
Doctor #3 - Don't kill misery unless you have to. you can kill her summoned thingies for health.
also, after the 2nd form, you can talk to the purple mimiga twice and they'll all drop some health for you

4 - I'll admit I'm biased in that I hate botw. I found it almost as offputting as Skyward Sword, but I could at least tell that had some good ideas in it.  Also, I know Zelda titles are primarily adventure games, but with every item breaking like it does, that really deincentivizes combat, to the point that I'd rather run than fight, which doesn't seem heroic really...
also, why does every game need crafting? it just bugs me.

6 - I feel that.  but keep at it, ASCEND.
I liked the Kirkhammer (the sword with a sheathe that turned it into a hammer) and the Rifle Spear.
and don't forget, Bloodborne is kinda designed to be played more aggressively than DS

Yeah for Cave Story I really want to go back because it was the first game I got with my Switch and I was really loving everything about it. From the cool music and atmosphere to a game that controlled well and was fun to play. THen I hit a wall with that final boss rush and backed off. I'll go back.

I really enjoyed BotW way more than I thought I would. I was pretty neutral (at best) on it leading up to and after its launch. Having never played a 3D Zelda and always being more a fan of the 2D Zelda games, I doubted it would be for me. But it really struck me in a way that a game never had before with its sheer exploration and literally embodying the "See that mountain off in the distance? You can go there" type of attitude.

That being said, I totally agree that the weapon durability is pretty ass and the Master Sword needing a charge is dumb. Crafting food and potions is ok, but when the game doesn't remember a recipe for something you just made 2 seconds ago, that's a bit of a problem. It's got its flaws for sure and it's certainly not the best game ever made as it's currently being lauded, but I sure enjoyed it for what it's worth with some 90+ hours both portable and at home.

Bloodborne has this weird draw for me despite how awful I am that makes me want to keep going back. I think I will but in slow strides.

bartre

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
Bloodborne has this weird draw for me despite how awful I am that makes me want to keep going back. I think I will but in slow strides.

well when I get to have another crack, I'll drop you a line and we can co op some parts giving you trouble

bartre

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
Added 1 more to the list today.

Parasite Eve (PSX) - I loved almost everything about this game. My qualms can all pretty much break down to "well it was the late 90s" or are simply some funky difficulty spots where the game randomly got really hard (crab boss) or really easy (the museum).
I loved the battle system, story/setting, and the villain in particular.
Been trying to beat this game since like 2005, just kept getting distracted; did read the book that preceded it.

turboswimbz

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
I got 3 more:

PC/xbox - Dust an Elysium Tale - Great little 2d platformer - excellent story, great animation, a little short.  the game can be cheap and little hard to handle in places on the more difficult setting,  worth it if you can find a digital copy.

PC - Doki Doki LIterature Club - a random Virtual Comic / Dating sim - I won't give anything away but it's maybe somewhat of a parody.

PCE - Magical Chase (easy mode)  - was just trying out different DUOs with issues with my new TEDV2 and played through it.  I am going to revisit it on harder mode before considering this an actual clear. I see why some call this game overrated.  still had fun. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

seieienbu

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
This is a fun thread. 

So I play games with my girlfriend a lot.  Generally we kinda share who's playing what game so most of the list is the stuff we played together.

WiiU:  Breath of the Wild

NES:  Zelda 2, Castlevania, CV2, CV3, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge, Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros 3

Turbo/PCE:  Sonson 2, Lords of Thunder, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Last Alert, Valis 2, Valis 3, Deep Blue, Dracula X

Genesis:  Sonic,  Sonic 2,  Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Turtles Hyperstone Heist, Ristar, Bubsy 2, Castlevania Bloodlines

SNES:  Zelda 3, Bubsy, Super Mario All Stars (all 4), Star Fox, Super Contra, Castlevania 4

32X:  Knuckles Chaotix

Saturn:  Sonic 3D Blast, Gex

Playstation: Final Fantasy 9, Symphony of the Night

N64:  Star Fox 64

Dreamcast:  Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2

PS2:  MGS2, MGS3, MG2: Solid Snake

PS4:  Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Bubsy, Street Fighter V

XBone: Cuphead

Arcade:  Garou:  Mark of the Wolves, CvS2

I wouldn't normally include a fighting game in a list like this but there were 3 neat victories.  I got a full clear on Garou with Terry getting MIRACLE! ranking on every round.  In Street Fighter V I beat Survival Mode on extreme, finally.  I mostly cheesed the CPU with Rashid but at the end I had to work pretty hard.  And finally my arcade just recently got a CvS2 setup so I played the computer to test it out.  I beat Shin Akuma on one credit and was pretty happy about that.  I used my patented team, P Groove Vega, Cammy, R2 Geese.

I played through 7 Castlevania games during October ending by beating Symphony of the Night the day before Halloween.  Before Sonic Mania came out, my GF and I played through a good portion of the series.  My favorite new game that I played was probably Sonic Mania.  Second place would be Cup Head.

For next year?  We're working our way through all of the Final Fantasy games and Metal Gear games.  We've only got a few left in both franchises so we may finish those up.  I'm hoping the Ys 8 translation patch comes out soon as I'd like to get back to that one.  My girlfriend has never played any survival horror games, so I'm thinking we may try to tackle Resident Evil this October instead of Castlevania (we've done that twice now).  The game I'm looking forward to playing the most, atm, is Romancing Saga 2 with it's recent release on PS4.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »
That's a lot of absolute classic games. I still randomly revisit the Castlevania and Sonic games as well.

Nice on Shenmue 2. I'm still super weary of Shenmue 3. The first two are pretty boring games for most people by modern standards. Yakuza has been doin' the thing better for quite awhile now. I want to see it through though, the first two games were so damn cool to me at the time.

Garou is an excellent fighter still one of my all time favourites.

I'll pose this question for everyone: what are you looking forward to playing in 2018? Yakuza 6 is at the very top of my list.

esteban

What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »
I'll pose this question for everyone: what are you looking forward to playing in 2018? Yakuza 6 is at the very top of my list.

A: Not Yakuza 6.

Ha! [emoji4]

But I was thinking about delving into some “modern” (for me) games on the PS1/PS2 this year...

KING OF CRUSHER (PS1)

...is a game that an old pcefxer (GUTS) always referenced, but I never really thought I would ever play.

BUT LAST NIGHT I STUMBLED UPON SOME SCREENSHOTS and now I am intrigued.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I beat all my favorite games I usually play at least once a year (a long boring list)...but I don’t think I beat anything I hadn’t already beaten in the past...

I think I have a new goal for 2018.

THIS WILL BE THE YEAR I CONQUER SimEarth (namely, create a society of sentient scallops), Deep Blue (due to the cold, merciless depths of my barren heart, I will destroy entire communities sentient scallops), and Shockman/Shubibinman series, etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:37:10 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

nopepper

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »
Just the games I beat for the first time, so I won't include the yearly runs of Mega Man, Thunder Force, Elemental Master, etc.

PCE
Dragon Spirit - it was extremely satisfying cracking this beast. The music is legendary and the graphics when played through a CRT glow like magic.

Download - seems hard at first, then becomes almost pedestrian. Good game overall, but needs a little more randomness to be a classic.

NES
Silver Surfer - 1 life cleared this, after using save states in the Everdrive to memorize all the bits. The music and clean graphics make it worth pushing through, and the level design opens up once you spend some time learning the intricacies of the game.

Burai Fighter - good music and tough gameplay.. I liked this a lot.

Contra - yup, I had never completed this game. Had to use Everdrive save states to memorize, then 1 credit cleared it. Awesome game.

Xexyz - I loved this one. The atmosphere is what did it for me and it got me past the floaty controls and quirky level designs.

Wii U
Zelda BotW - this game was something else. I started playing it thinking it was going to be another Ocarina of Time overrated "masterpiece" only to be sucked into its world and not be let go until about a month later. I frankly can't say anything bad about this game. (Side note - I wish Nintendo and Sega would collaborate to create a Phantasy Star V using this games engine)

PS3
Shadows of the Damned - the surprise of the year for me. Although I did not care about the story in general, it did have some funny one liners and the gameplay was pure Resident Evil 4-like goodness.

Arkham Asylum - nice, quick 3D action game. Got a bit repetitive towards the tail end, so I don't think I'll even try the sequels.

N64
Waverace 64 - one of the best racing games I've played. Hard to control at first, but after adjusting, became very addicting to control your ski around rough waters.

crazydean

What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
Damn, Silver Surfer on NES? That game is crazy hard. Congratulations.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

nopepper

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Damn, Silver Surfer on NES? That game is crazy hard. Congratulations.

This is one of those games I would've given up if not for the Everdrive and save states. I actually had never played this prior to earlier this year when I read elsewhere about how terrible the game was, but that the music made it worth playing.

With curiosity piqued, I tried it in the Everdrive, and while it frustrated me at first, I kept trying and dying, and trying and dying, chugging along using save states. There was something about it that kept me going...it was satisfying to get used to its touchiness and conquer difficult sections.

Once I got used to tough sections and was able to beat it a couple of times using save states, I got a real cart for like 5 bucks and tried it out. I knew that if I died, I would have to restart, as its almost impossible to get past certain sections unless fully powered up. I think it took me a couple of days to beat it in 1 life.

It's a good game, MUCH better than the reputation it has. I reckon that I would've enjoyed it a lot as a kid, with a lot of time to devote to a single game, and I probably would have been able to beat it given that same factor.

I don't think I'll ever seriously play it again, because it was tough memorizing everything, and there is so much to memorize, but I feel it was worth it for the satisfaction. And again, the music and crisp graphics (on a CRT) help a lot.

Also, I think Dragon Spirit was a much tougher nut to crack than Silver Surfer, but I did not have the benefit of save states with that one.

This makes me think...I've never beaten RType, so I wonder if using this same save state strategy would finally help me conquer that beast...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 03:08:12 AM »
I almost beat Ys Origin before the new year.  I'm sitting at Dalles right now.

*edit*

I beat it last night.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:46:13 AM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »

Also, I think Dragon Spirit was a much tougher nut to crack than Silver Surfer, but I did not have the benefit of save states with that one.

This makes me think...I've never beaten RType, so I wonder if using this same save state strategy would finally help me conquer that beast...

I found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

I used the R-Type CD to practice because it allows infinite continues for each stage...I put in a lot of practice/experimentation with different tactics...which really helped me when playing the HuCARDs (JP and NA).

There is a bonus (very short) “dodging” segment on the JP HuCARD I that was cut from all the other versions.

It’s a fun little surprise for many folks, I think.
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
I had a busy year, started a new job and didn't really find much time for finishing games but I did start a quite a few.  The ones that I did manage to beat... lemme think.  Resident Evil 7 might be the only one!  I poured a lot of time into Dark Souls II, almost done with it but trying to beat optional DLC bosses.  I just got Dragon Spirit for Xmas so I'll give that a shot soon.

gheebee

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 02:44:30 AM »
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) – I don’t think I ever got sucked into a game like I did with this one.

Shantae: ½ Genie Hero (Wii U) – I bought this because it kind of reminded me of Wonder Boy a little and wasn’t disappointed.

Steamworld Heist (Wii U) – Wasn’t that interested in this one because of the turn-based aspect but once I started playing it I couldn’t stop.

Steamworld Dig (Wii U) – A fun take on a platforming game but the end made me sad.

Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) – Seeing the original compared to this makes me not regret never playing the original. Not that I don’t think I would have enjoyed it but this version looks like a massive upgrade.

God Panic (PCE) – Picked this up earlier in the year and wound up beating it after just a couple of tries. It’s a fun game with all kinds of quirky art, but it was not a good value considering how easily it was beaten by me.

CyberCore (TG16) – As a kid I never got past the 3rd of 4th level but then one day I popped this one in and beat it after just a couple of tries. It’s no Raiden but beating it was still very satisfying.

New Adventure Island (PCE) – Is this even worth mentioning for me? Of course I beat New Adventure Island in 2017!

Splatterhouse (TG16) – Still can’t remember if this was a first time clear back in April but I managed to do the same later in Oct.

Final Fight (arcade) – It’s hard to pass up a chance to play this, the gameplay is just so satisfying.

Super Bomberman R (Switch) – My friend picked this up on the way to my place, we beat every level in one sitting, and I’m pretty sure they returned it on their way home.

English of the Dead (DS) – A couple of the letters are a little tricky to write with the stylus and it’s hard to figure out some of the clues because they’re in Japanese, but overall this was a lot of fun and for the money not a bad deal (decided to get this instead of Typing of the Dead and the Dreamcast Keyboard…).

nopepper

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 08:06:29 AM »

I found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

I used the R-Type CD to practice because it allows infinite continues for each stage...I put in a lot of practice/experimentation with different tactics...which really helped me when playing the HuCARDs (JP and NA).

There is a bonus (very short) “dodging” segment on the JP HuCARD I that was cut from all the other versions.

It’s a fun little surprise for many folks, I think.
Were you able to beat it using that strategy? Do you 1 life clear it?

The problem for me is that if I die anywhere after level 4, it becomes nigh impossible to get back up to speed and powered up. So you have to devise strategies with a slow ship and a tiny pea shooter, which I just don't think is a good time.

I reckon (and from other ppls accounts) that the trick is to make it to the later levels fully powered up, then know exactly what to do from then on, so you can clear it on a single life.

I suppose watching lets play could get me familiar with those later levels, but f that, who has time for that?!? At least with save states, the "cheating" experience is interactive.