Author Topic: What games did you beat in 2017?  (Read 1763 times)

seieienbu

Re: What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
It took me 20 years to beat R Type.  I finally decided to beat it a few years back and did it by playing a game every day.  I'd get a little further than I did the day before most days.  I got hung up for multiple days in more than one spot but eventually persevered.

I'm no shooter savant.  R Type was brutally difficult but if I can beat it so can anyone.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

waiwainl

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »

I'm no shooter savant.  R Type was brutally difficult but if I can beat it so can anyone.

Well done! I am still working on it :)

esteban

What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »

I found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

I used the R-Type CD to practice because it allows infinite continues for each stage...I put in a lot of practice/experimentation with different tactics...which really helped me when playing the HuCARDs (JP and NA).

There is a bonus (very short) “dodging” segment on the JP HuCARD I that was cut from all the other versions.

It’s a fun little surprise for many folks, I think.
Were you able to beat it using that strategy? Do you 1 life clear it?

The problem for me is that if I die anywhere after level 4, it becomes nigh impossible to get back up to speed and powered up. So you have to devise strategies with a slow ship and a tiny pea shooter, which I just don't think is a good time.

I reckon (and from other ppls accounts) that the trick is to make it to the later levels fully powered up, then know exactly what to do from then on, so you can clear it on a single life.

I suppose watching lets play could get me familiar with those later levels, but f that, who has time for that?!? At least with save states, the "cheating" experience is interactive.

I always die so I have found  the “charge shot” invaluable. In most shootemups, I have found ways to survive with pea shooter.

Stage 5, for example, is totally doable collecting what is given...

l’ve been playing it since arcade 80’s and never even saw the later stages until I got the R-Type CD many years ago and used continues!

I absolutely SUCK on the “maze” level with the huge square ships you must constantly avoid. I choke under pressure.

Save states would be the easiest route to go, but the R-Type Complete CD Continue method is more respectable (I am joking, I felt lame for continuing a million times just to beat a damn level).
  |    | 

nopepper

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »
Yeah. I've been playing RTYpe since the SMS version came out. Even that version I could never beat, and it was one of a handful of games I had, but it just pissed me off so much. 30 years later, and it still pisses me off.

I've been able to get past level 5 using the PCE Rtype II huey, but then the maze level comes along and my patience runs dry. It's just such a grind of dying a million times before you can figure out safe zones and patterns. Then the game seems to throw random stuff at you from time to time to mess with your runs, even the power ups have some randomness to them. Argh, its just too much!

Silver Surfer is childs play next to RType, IMO.

Mad respect to all that have completed RType. Maybe one day I will join that club...

Winniez

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
I think R-Type is a very methodical shooter, the kind where you carefully and slowly make you way through the game. Dragon Spirit is more chaotic and the hit box is way bigger.

roflmao

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
Geez, I'm not playing through games like I used to. :D I mostly played through games I know I can beat.

Saturn - Christmas NiGHTS - a holiday tradition.
PCE - Star Parodier
GB - Battle Unit Zeoth
TG16 - Blazing Lazers
PCE - Macross 2036
PCE - Shubibinman 3
PCE - Spriggan
Saturn - Twinbee
Dreamcast - Skies of Arcadia

On board for 2018:
Super Famicom - FFV
PCE - Startling Odyssey II
PCE - Genji Tsushin Agedama
GC - Zelda: Twilight Princess

Gypsy

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
How are you stomaching the Starling Odyssey translation? I gave it and honest go but looool.

I think I'm going to replay Skies this year, it's been so long.

roflmao

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »
How are you stomaching the Starling Odyssey translation? I gave it and honest go but looool.

I think I'm going to replay Skies this year, it's been so long.

I'm loving it! Sure the translation is kinda clunky, but that old-school gameplay has me hooked. Great soundtrack. Great cutscenes (some of which I should have let my 9-yr old son watch!). The ability to Auto battle is so nice when grinding.

Skies is awesome. This was the first time my son got to experience it and he LOVED it.

TheClash603

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »
My memory sucks, so I'm sure this is 20% of what I beat.  I also was doing a bit of a remodel that kept my older systems unhooked for a large portion of the year.

Resident Evil 7 (PSVR)
Rush of Blood (PSVR)
London Heist (PSVR)
Batman Arkham VR (PSVR)
...I was about to beat Far Point (PSVR), but then my PSVR broke.
Wolfenstein New Order (XB1)
Call of Duty WWII (XB1)
Rock Band Rivals (XB1)
Raiden V (XB1)
Mario Odyssey (Switch)
NBA Ballers (Switch)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch)
Bomberman R (Switch)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Felix the Cat (NES)

I'm done taking a shit so I'll stop here.  Currently playing Nier and close to beating it.

seieienbu

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
This thread inspired me to some degree.  I'm making a list of every game I play and beat so that next year I can post without trying to remember everything I'm played over a whole year.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

bartre

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
This thread inspired me to some degree.  I'm making a list of every game I play and beat so that next year I can post without trying to remember everything I'm played over a whole year.
That's not a bad idea.
I'm gonna start one on my google drive, so I can always update it.

Gypsy

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:57 AM »
I'm aiming to beat a game on each of my systems again so I've been keeping track with a text file.

lukester

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
Never beat R-Type, Stage 7 is as far as I could get

The stage 5 boss is awful. It's AI is random so there's no real strategy to memorize.

Why the hell did Hudson have to add an "extra" boss to stage 6???

NightWolve

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 02:42:21 AM »
That's not a bad idea.
I'm gonna start one on my google drive, so I can always update it.

https://backloggery.com/nightwolve

Backloggery dudes, that's what it's partly for besides annoying you into not giving up on eventually clearing purchased games collecting dust.