Author Topic: What games did you beat in 2017?  (Read 1761 times)

bartre

What games did you beat in 2017?
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
There's a big presence of "Playing >>>> Collecting" here, so let's back up that talk.
What games did y'all beat this year?
What system?
What'd you think?

For me:
The Bouncer (PS2) - I will never understand the hate this game gets. I love it.
Cave Story (PC) - I totally get how this kinda started the indie game thing, wonderful game
Dark Souls (PC) - Loved it, but still prefer Demon's Souls, and I don't see how Dark Souls 2 was THAT bad.
Dead Rising (360) - I knew the gameplay was fun from when it was first released, and I loved the couple playthroughs I did, but holy cats a 100% playthrough is rough.
Deja Vu (PC) - fun enough, but I doubt I'll go back to it when there's stuff like shadowgate
Doom 2016 (PC) - "That was f*cking metal as f*ck dude"
Freedom Plantet (PC) - levels were great fun, i hated every boss battle
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death (PC) - great god of war clone with a decent balance of humor v. action
Maximo (PS2) - almost an amazing game, just hindered by some cheap stuff like the ever increasing continue price and some BS enemy placement
Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX) - pretty much perfect, just some BS sections where you just get wrecked as soon as you get hit once
Postal 2 (PC) - just as cathartic as ever. pacifist playthrough was actually a good challenge, but took some fun away
Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - I really loved it until the island, then it got just a little too hard for my liking
Risk of Rain (Vita) - maybe this shouldn't go in here as I'm not sure what you'd call beating the game, but it's been a wonderful timekiller
Shadowgate (PC, macventure) - It's Deja Vu, but literally everything is done better
South Park Stick of Truth (PC) - Super mario RPG + South Park = fun RPG that's not much of a challenge, but the experience is worth it
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy (PC) - I'm not sure it deserves all the praise it gets, but it was a fun EU romp
Zombie Army Trilogy (PC) - Really good time, makes me want to try the sniper elite games for more

turboswimbz

Re: What games did you beat in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
I finished a bunch of older games I wanted to play all the way through finally - a few replays too

1) Ori and the blind forest - PC (beautiful 2d classic style platformer. one of the best stories in a game)
2) YS i/II - PC and PCE - never finished the remakes and wanted to get all the differences
3) Tales of Symphonia - PC version (cool game, lots of fun, a lot of little things make this epic)
4) Super Mario RPG - SNES (easier but fun)
5) Star Fox - SNES (this hasn't aged well, but it's a good play through)
6) Earth Bound - SNES (god this is long, strange, but overall pretty fun)
7) Act Raiser - SNES (one of my favorite games hands down, the platforming mixed with startegy is a pretty neat element. plus good tunes)
8) Daytona - Saturn  (my favorite arcader on a console.  I love this game, so much charm)
9) Shenmue - Dreamcast  (a bit tedious, but what a great story)
10) Kindom Hearts 2 - PS2 (ughhhh. my least favorite this year. story is good, controls are okay, the sound is good, but the whole FF system thing is a pain, and it drags in spots.  just falls short for me)
11) Hand of Fate - PC (A neat little deck building/RPG/Startegy with hack and slash action scenes. if you can get it for cheap try it)

it was a busy year and I didn't get through 100% as many as I had hoped.  I attempted a bunch more that never got finished. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Gypsy

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:46 AM »
I was actually logging this for something on another site so this is easy copy/paste for me.

PC Engine - Cyber Core, Download, PC Denjin, PC Genjin 3, Ranma 1/2 - Datō, Ganso Musabetsu Kakutō-ryū!, Ys IV, Outrun, Castlevania Rondo of Blood, Sapphire, Star Parodier, Vigilante
PC-FX - Zeroigar
NES - Super Mario Bros 3
SNES - Super Metroid
N64 - Banjo Kazooie
Gamecube - Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (hard mode)
Wii - Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World
Genesis - Sonic 2
Sega CD - Snatcher
32x - Doom 32x
Saturn - X-Men vs Street Fighter, Shining Force III, Crows: The Battle Action
Dreamcast - Giga Wing 2
PS1 - Wild Arms
PS2 - Homura, Psyvariar, XII Stag
PS3 -Trails of Cold Steel
PS4 - Caladrius Blaze, Uncharted 4, Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami
Xbox - Dead Man's Hand
Xbox 360 - Bullet Soul, Bullet Soul Infinite Burst
GBA - Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
DS - Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening
PSP - Ys VII
Vita - Memories of Celceta
PC - Red Alert 2, The Witcher

The goal was to beat a game for every system I own which I did. Which is why on some you see an easy filler clear like X-Men vs Street Fighter where I wasn't sure if I'd bother to finish Shining Force III but then I did and another game on top of it. For some systems I didn't do more than shooters but that didn't surprise me too much with some of the time sinks I played. The one where I for sure want to beat something else before the new year is Dreamcast. Really fun overall experience to do and I'm going to try to do it again next year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:16:48 AM by Gypsy »

NightWolve

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
I finished a bunch of older games I wanted to play all the way through finally - a few replays too

1) Ori and the blind forest - PC (beautiful 2d classic style platformer. one of the best stories in a game)
2) YS i/II - PC and PCE - never finished the remakes and wanted to get all the differences
3) Tales of Symphonia - PC version (cool game, lots of fun, a lot of little things make this epic)
4) Super Mario RPG - SNES (easier but fun)
5) Star Fox - SNES (this hasn't aged well, but it's a good play through)
6) Earth Bound - SNES (god this is long, strange, but overall pretty fun)
7) Act Raiser - SNES (one of my favorite games hands down, the platforming mixed with startegy is a pretty neat element. plus good tunes)
8) Daytona - Saturn  (my favorite arcader on a console.  I love this game, so much charm)
9) Shenmue - Dreamcast  (a bit tedious, but what a great story)
10) Kindom Hearts 2 - PS2 (ughhhh. my least favorite this year. story is good, controls are okay, the sound is good, but the whole FF system thing is a pain, and it drags in spots.  just falls short for me)
11) Hand of Fate - PC (A neat little deck building/RPG/Startegy with hack and slash action scenes. if you can get it for cheap try it)

it was a busy year and I didn't get through 100% as many as I had hoped.  I attempted a bunch more that never got finished.

Busy year, nice! Can't even add one for myself this year, but 2018 will be an Ys 8 year for sure or I'll resign my account! ;)

@bartre: I liked The Bouncer too, still own it but it's short and felt no replay desire after beating it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »
Super Robot Wars V Premium Anime Song and Sound edition for Vita, thats it. I’m almost done with the second play through.

I was so happy to learn that the new SRW will be released on Vita. Now I can go another year without wasting my money on some bullshit time vampire console I have zero interest in since this is the only current series I play.

schweaty

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 03:57:28 AM »
great thread.  this is off the top.  i will have to look at my wii u and ps4 games and update the post later:

Prince of Persia (TG16-CD) - mea culpa:  i never actually beat it.  i can get all the way to the end but i cant make that last jump into your mirror image.  it surprised me how much fun it was.  pro-tip:  if you havent played this yet, read the manual first.

Firewatch (PS4) - one of my first limited run purchases. great, if short, game.  reminded me of point and click adventure pc games.

Inside (PS4) - everyone should play this game.  that is all.

Zelda Spirit Tracks (DS) - great game.  i liked it better than phantom hourglass.  the issues with the stylus control are completely over exaggerated.  i had no problems

Zelda Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - game of the year for me.  that is all

Until Dawn (PS4) - me and the missus had a lot of fun playing thru this on the couch at night

Captain Toad (Wii U) - really liked this.  captain toad was one of my favorite parts on super mario 3d world.  reminded me of old school single screen puzzle games.  liked it so much i 100%'d it.

Little Nightmares (PS4) - in the same vein as Inside with a little more polish.  play it and thank me later.

Zelda Link to the Past (SNES) - ashamed to admit I had never finished this until this year.  started it many times but never stuck with it to the end.  i guess its been a very zeldy year.

Might and Magic III (TG16-CD) - lot of nostalgia for me on this one.  this was my first PC purchase I ever made when we got our first IBM 386 BITD.  i believe it came on 8 3.5" floppys.  really took my time on this game and loved every minute.  totally underrated game that I cant believe doesnt get more discussion around here.  its got a pretty steep learning curve but if you can get past the initial asskicking, its worth it.  as bithead1000 said, "you spend 9 hours making this party then go out into the field and get killed by the first monster"

currently about half way through Metroid Prime 1 (GC).  probably wont finish it by the end of the year.

EDIT:  how could i forget the delicious dragons curse (yeah, you heard me) remake on ps4?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:05:46 AM by schweaty »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
Off the top o' me head:

Ys 8, friggin' great game!  Wife absolutely loved it as well, even beat it before me!  NW, you'll love it! Played the PS4 version, got as many trophies as humanly possible as well.  I think I'm at like, 95%.  I don't do Nightmare trophies, though, I tried.  I litteraly watched my health drain from simple enemies, it was nuts.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath on Vita, cool game, always wanted to play it.  Literally was one of the few games on Xbox that I wanted if I ever got an Xbox, but never did.

Axiom Vergeon Vita, great Metroidvania, also just got the physical version.

Red Faction HD on PS4, great game, wish someone would make more of these games

Super Exploding Zoo on Vita, fun little game.  Got it free with my PS Plus subscription

Last Alert, Castlevania X, & Lords of Thunder, played it with friends on our designated Retro Game Night we have ever other monday.  They mostly choose NES, SNES or Genesis.  They never great up wtih the Turbob so, I'm edumacating them.

Futuridium EP Deluxe on Vita.  Didn't actually beat it, game gets way past my skills.  I think I made it to Mission 40?

Nova-111 on Vita, neat concept, fun game

Arcania on PS4, kinda like Skyrim & such, it's ok for uber cheap

Adventures of Mana on Vita.  Never played the original, but did play Sword of Mana.  Unless my memory is totally failing me....I prefer Sword of Mana *ducks incoming rotten fruit*.  I know Sword of Mana was glitchy, but, it just seemed more enjoyable for some reason.  That's of coarse keeping in mind that my nostalgia is not with Final Fantasy Adventure, which is interesting.  I wonder if I did play FFA first, if I'd prefer it over SoM?

Ys Origin on PS4, great game, played all scenarios.  Might go back to it to get a few more trophies.

Metal Gear Rising on PS3, meh, it was ok I guess.  It had some interesting ideas.

Wonderboy Dragon's Trap on PS4, great remake of a great game.

Metal Gear Solid 4, great game, play thru it a few times to get some extra trophies.  One of my Retro gaming buddies claims Metal Gear is his favorite series......but hasn't beaten this yet!?  I like to kid him from time to tim eabout it.

Aqua Kitty DX on Vita, neat Defender clone with dope tunes.

Saturday Morning RPG on Vita, hoping they make a sequel someday so we get the complete story.

Mutant Mudds & Super Challenge on Vita, cool games, fun retro stuffs.

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Comments on games I didn't beat, but were mentioned here:
Risk of Rain, tried to play through that game but eventually gave up.  It is fun, but not quite my cup of tea

Act Raiser:One of my top fav games of all time, wish there was a sequel that retained the balance of platforming & world building!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
Persona 5
Ys 8
Dungeon Travelers 2
FFXV f*ckthatgameinthea$$holeitwasshit
some rando fighting games if those even actually count?
a bunch of time sunk into FF11 and FF14
bunch of NES games
this is too much work I quit
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
From my clear thread: Circus Lido, JB Harold Murder Club, JB Harold Manhattan Requiem, Bomberman, Tenchi Muyo, Coryoon, J Thunder, and Deep Blue.  That's not even one a month.... I am disappoint myself.  :|

There's a few other games that I beat on a semi-regular basis, though, like Hatris, Gotzendiener, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk's Big Adventure, Dracula X, Godzilla, and Dead Moon.  Most if not all of 'em have been beaten again in the last year.  :mrgreen:

I've a hard time remember exactly when I've beaten some of these nobeys (I should keep a log or something), but off the top of my head I think I've beaten these in the last year or two:

Vita - Aqua Kitty, Saturday Morning RPG, Walking Dead Season 2, and Lego Marvel Avengers.
PSP - Brandish, Gurumin, Mimana Iyar Chronicle, Nayuta no Kiseki, Bust a Move Deluxe, and Sweet Fuse.

*edit* - looked at the pile o' games and remembered a couple more PSP games.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:20:58 AM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »
Forgot to mention I also beat Mega Man Legends 1 & Misadventure's of Tron Bonne on my Vita.

TR0N

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
Zelda BOTW (Wii-U)
Sweet Home (Famicom)
Ys Origin (PS4)
Injustice 2 Story mode (PS4)

Not much beaten this year since i was replaying dark souls 2&3 allot.Beside i need to get back to nioh asap.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

jtucci31

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
In a year where I sadly did not have my PCE around me very much, I've been playing a ton of games.

1. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
2. Uncharted (Vita)
3. Tearaway (Vita)
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)
5. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (PS3/Vita)
6. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
7. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (PS4)
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
9. Hotline Miami* (Vita)
10. The Last Guardian (PS4)
11. Final Fantasy VII (Vita)
12. Nier Automata (PS4)
13. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
14. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch)
15. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
16. Sonic Mania (Switch)
17. Inside (PS4)
18. Journey (PS4)
19. Titanfall 2 (PS4)
20. Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4)
21. Mario 3D Land* (3DS)
22. Bonk's Revenge* (PCE)
23. Gate of Thunder* (PCE)
24. The Last of Us (PS4)
25. Wolfenstein The New Order (PS4)
26. Wolfenstein II The New Colossus (PS4)
27. Golf Story (Switch)
28. Super Bomberman R (Switch)
29. Skate 2* (PS3)
30. Skate 3* (PS3)

* Games I've already beaten once before.

Games I played but did not beat

1. Cave Story (Switch) - Stuck on the end boss. :(
2. Xenoblade Chronicles (3DS) - After 15 hours of enjoying pretty much only the music, I do not like this game.
3. Splatoon 2 (Switch) - Story mode is cool, but online is coooooler.
4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3DS) - Got caught up playing FFVII instead, I'll go back and finally beat this eventually. But in a year where a stellar open world Zelda game came out, this took a back seat.
5. Cuphead (PC) - The kind of game to blow you away right from the start. I just got distracted, I'll get back to it.
6. Bloodborne (PS4) - I'm not sure I will ever beat it.
7. Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS) - You can't beat it, but I sure played a lot of it again for the second time on 3DS. I just really want one for the Switch because that mobile game is not fun.

Games I'm currently still playing that could have maybe made my top ten list of 2017, but I didn't finish in time/just started a few days ago but is really damn cool so far.

1. Persona 5 (PS4)

Top 3 games that came out in 2017 for me

1. Nier Automata
2. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
3. Cuphead (even though I haven't even beaten it yet)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:48:13 AM by jtucci31 »

bartre

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »

4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3DS) - Got caught up playing FFVII instead, I'll go back and finally beat this eventually. But in a year where a stellar open world Zelda game came out, this took a back seat.

1 - which "end boss?" the real end boss or just the doctor? what weapons do you have?

4 - you passed up OoT for GTA Hyrule? I'm so disappointed tucc.
to be fair though, Majora is better.

6 - what weapon are you using? that dictates sooooooooo much of your playstyle.

jtucci31

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »

1 - which "end boss?" the real end boss or just the doctor? what weapons do you have?

4 - you passed up OoT for GTA Hyrule? I'm so disappointed tucc.
to be fair though, Majora is better.

6 - what weapon are you using? that dictates sooooooooo much of your playstyle.

1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

4. BotW is more than just GTA Hyrule in that GTA is more limiting than BotW. OoT shows its age and as someone who has no nostalgia for it, it's a bit hard to grasp currently. I usually prefer 2D Zelda games. LttP being my favorite and LBW was a ton of fun, and the original is great.

6. I would use the short hand weapon? THe axe thing. No f*cking clue, I may need to start over if I ever try again, I ran out of blood vials.

bartre

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

4. BotW is more than just GTA Hyrule in that GTA is more limiting than BotW. OoT shows its age and as someone who has no nostalgia for it, it's a bit hard to grasp currently. I usually prefer 2D Zelda games. LttP being my favorite and LBW was a ton of fun, and the original is great.

6. I would use the short hand weapon? THe axe thing. No f*cking clue, I may need to start over if I ever try again, I ran out of blood vials.

1 - which boss is giving you the most trouble and what weapons do you have?
Misery isn't too bad once you get the hang of dodging her quick shot attack. I recommend standing still and then jetpacking away after it gets close.
Doctor #1 - the double helix attack always threw me off, just gotta practice and learn where the holes are.
Doctor #2 - just keep as much distance between you two and you'll be fine.
Doctor #3 - Don't kill misery unless you have to. you can kill her summoned thingies for health.
also, after the 2nd form, you can talk to the purple mimiga twice and they'll all drop some health for you

4 - I'll admit I'm biased in that I hate botw. I found it almost as offputting as Skyward Sword, but I could at least tell that had some good ideas in it.  Also, I know Zelda titles are primarily adventure games, but with every item breaking like it does, that really deincentivizes combat, to the point that I'd rather run than fight, which doesn't seem heroic really...
also, why does every game need crafting? it just bugs me.

6 - I feel that.  but keep at it, ASCEND.
I liked the Kirkhammer (the sword with a sheathe that turned it into a hammer) and the Rifle Spear.
and don't forget, Bloodborne is kinda designed to be played more aggressively than DS