Author Topic: What is a good pc engine controller?  (Read 7711 times)

turboswimbz

Re: What is a good pc engine controller?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »
all up to preference

I like most of them

I find the ave 3 to the most comfortable personally. if you play a lot of fighters you'll prob. wnat a 3 or 6 button controller.  if you just play in general, just get a standard pad that works.  IF you like a more arcade feel any of the arcade sticks are great.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:28 AM »
I like all the two-buttoners I've tried; they all feel about the same (and the Ave 3 feels just as good), but I'm most partial to the wireless ones so I'm not tripping over extension cords.  I don't much care for either the Ave 6 or the RX pad, as the former's d-pad makes my thumb sore and the latter's d-pad feels stiff and weird.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

GohanX

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:20 AM »
I agree with most of the guys here, the regular 2 button pads are generally the best and there's not a lot of difference between them. I've been using a Avenue 3 lately instead since I like the extra button, it feels largely the same but the controller is bigger so it may be more comfortable if you've got bigger hands. I'm undecided since with the two button pads I have my index fingers over the top like a SNES controller as my preferred way of holding it and I can't do that with an Ave 3.

I don't really get the love for the Shuttle pad. It's a fine pad, but I like the regular ones better.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »
I want a Shuttle pad and a Hori 6 buttoner.  They both look so comfy.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:01 AM »
I read the Avenue 3/6 pads are garbage, to go with Hori.

xelement5x

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 04:30:51 AM »
Shuttle pad is the best :D

I agree with this.

And I've heard to avoid the RX pad as it's kind of shite.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
The regular CoreGrafx and TurboDuo pads give me a slightly hurting left thumb after playing some hectic shooters. Still, I like them much better than the Genesis 3-button controllers. Having adjustable turbo switches is a must for games like Gradius. Concave buttons are not my thing for long sessions, but they do the job well enough.

I haven't spent enough time with the Avenue 3 pad yet to make any conclusion about it. Being able to map button III to select or start is useful for Blazing Lazers. Otherwise anything I said about so far about the regular controllers applies to it, too.

The Hori PC Fighting Commander is a quite nice 6-button controller. I've got to spend some more time with it, but I think the strictly cross-shaped D-pad and convex buttons are pleasant to operate. Sometimes I wish you could configure your button placement freely, e.g. like putting the II and I buttons in the places were the SNES controller's Y and B buttons are. Also, having no shoulder buttons with this shape of controller still freaks me out in a funny way. What you can not do is map button III to select or start, if I remember correctly - I've got to double check this tonight.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:27:04 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Purple1308

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
I like all the two-buttoners I've tried; they all feel about the same (and the Ave 3 feels just as good), but I'm most partial to the wireless ones so I'm not tripping over extension cords.  I don't much care for either the Ave 6 or the RX pad, as the former's d-pad makes my thumb sore and the latter's d-pad feels stiff and weird.
Is it radio waves or IR

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
Is it radio waves or IR?

IR, so it can be a pain maintaining line of sight sometimes.  I like to play rpgs and digi-comics a lot, though, and those usually don't require close timing and are pretty forgiving if you've tipped the controller too far out of line.

Purple1308

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
Is it radio waves or IR?

IR, so it can be a pain maintaining line of sight sometimes.  I like to play rpgs and digi-comics a lot, though, and those usually don't require close timing and are pretty forgiving if you've tipped the controller too far out of line.
Darn that sucks

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
Another word on the Hori PC Fighting Commander 6-button controller. On mine, the soft plastic of the cord has started to desintegrate, by leaving a sticky residue. No matter how good you clean it, it will become sticky again after a few months.
This is pretty similar to the synthetic rubber overmoldings of screwdrivers, power tools and other devices such as computer mice and the Sony Dualshock 3 joystick rubber caps. Some of them will become awfully sticky to touch over time, others just last dry.

Good thing the cord on that controller is rather generic, I will replace it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:33:02 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

crazydean

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
We now have bluetooth controllers for NES, SNES, Genny, DC, and Saturn. Maybe someone will make a receiver for the PCE.  :pray:
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

spenoza

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 04:53:16 AM »
For as plain and chunky and not comfortable-looking as the NEC Avenue Pad 6 is, it's actually really comfortable. It looks like it shouldn't be, but it works.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

VmprHntrD

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 03:30:58 AM »
Currently I just have one core grafx II controller, that's it, and I so love that built in turbo as a choice.

That said, I asked around and read around about a 6 button controller, and I'm not certain really why but I see people dump on the Avenue 6 (and 3) for not being so great while the Hori Fighting Commander is top notch.  It has backed me off considering the avenue even if it does cost like $5-10 less.

stlpaul

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
The standard 2-button NEC pads are awesome.

For 6-button, I like the Hori better than the Avenue 6.

For 3-button, I like the Avenue 3 better than the Blaster Pad.

For arcade sticks I like Hori Fighting Stick PC the best.

But none of the PC-Engine controllers I've used have been bad, just some felt better than others.

I've never tried the Arcade Pad 6 (Duo-RX pad), I've read that the d-pad on it is not great. And I've never had the pleasure of trying any of the weird analog controllers but there's only a few games that work with those anyway.