Author Topic: What is a good pc engine controller?  (Read 7794 times)

esteban

Re: What is a good pc engine controller?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2018, 12:35:15 AM »
Wait...I don’t recall ever seeing that PCE TURBO STICK before...

How is that possible?

Anyway, tell me about this item. Any docs inside? Like cute directions with images?

MOAR INFO!

:)

It's model no: PI-PD4.

Originally released back in the late 80's.

Comrade!

Thank you very much.

I thought I was very familiar with all things PCE, but something so obvious like this controller just never registered in my brain.

(I have the North American TurboStick...so I assumed the PCE version was simply a different color scheme?)

I wonder how many other obvious things I have missed...
  |    | 

Bloufo

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2018, 12:46:01 AM »
I posted those pics even though I thought you may have been putting me on.

I kinda still do. :P

schweaty

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »
I prefer the Hori Commander (the 2-button, not the Fighting Commander).  I think it has the best d-pad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SignOfZeta

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »
With a soldering iron you can make any controller you want with a padhack. The Hori Fighting Commander is pretty nice, though. The PCE pads are pretty bad imo, especially for shooters.

Bad compared to what?

Purple1308

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
I prefer the Hori Commander (the 2-button, not the Fighting Commander).  I think it has the best d-pad

Wasnt that also on the master system?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

schweaty

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

Yes.  Hori made the exact same controller with a slightly different color scheme for the SMS.  I'd love to get my hands on one of those as well

esteban

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
I posted those pics even though I thought you may have been putting me on.

I kinda still do. :P

Bloufo, ha!

I totally tease folks and goof around, but sometimes I’m just a fool.

:)

|    | 

Purple1308

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Yes.  Hori made the exact same controller with a slightly different color scheme for the SMS.  I'd love to get my hands on one of those as well

Yeah that be a good controller for any master system play

VmprHntrD

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
There any particular reason when it comes to the six button controller why people tend to rip on the Avenue and suck up to the Hori one instead?  I mean I get the Hori one looks like a SNES controller, d-pad and all, but is that it or is there some comfort or defect issue with the other?

The price difference kind of sucks and I'd like to get one so I can handle those 3-6 button games better.

turboswimbz

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:56 AM »
There any particular reason when it comes to the six button controller why people tend to rip on the Avenue and suck up to the Hori one instead?  I mean I get the Hori one looks like a SNES controller, d-pad and all, but is that it or is there some comfort or defect issue with the other?

The price difference kind of sucks and I'd like to get one so I can handle those 3-6 button games better.

The biggest problem I've seen people have the Ave 6 vs the Hori for most people is generally comfort. As The 6 is squared off, while the Hori feels like Nintendon't.

I also have heard a few people say they prefer the D-pad on the hori. 

I am a big fan of the Ave 3 and 6 pads.  They are my go to if I'm playing a game the 2 buttons can't handle. I've never had any issues with any of the ave 3 or 6 controllers I've owned.  I would recommend them. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:44 AM »
Alright that's fair.  I come from a Nintendo background and really enjoy the style/feel of the SNES controller.  That said though, I don't care if a PCE controller is squared off like an NES controller (though it is less pointy) or rounded off like the dogbone/snes style.

A bad D-pad that is wonky in response or gets painful in time is a deal breaker, same with buttons that can be a bit off in feel as it can ruin a game, not corners.

I guess I'll just try and source the Ave6 since it seems to cost like $10-20 less than the Hori.  I'm looking to snap up a copy of SF2 and I'd like to get an Everdrive too, so it would be needed.  I was thinking of that SSS3 but it's looking a bit messy now and that UperGrafx is tempting if it gets evaluated positively by some buyers as reviews don't seem to exist.

turboswimbz

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 02:01:12 AM »
Yeah I've never felt the D-pad held me back,

and played for hours without ever feeling uncomfortable. my mits are bit larger though.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:16 AM »
Fair enough and good to know.  I don't have tiny hands, not sure they're large either.  I find the way I hold a classic NES controller the tips poke into where my finger first bends at the knuckle but I can ignore that so this should be alright.

Now to try and source one from the US or Japan and figure out a fair value I won't exceed.  Yamatoku has one closing for $25 ($14 shipping) though he also has Xevious I'd like at $12 and he does at some point combine shipping but refuses to say how much (alone is +14 which sucks.)

Johnpv

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:36 AM »

I can only talk about the 3 button AV, but the 6 button and 3 button look to have the same d-pad.  Which for me is just too small.  I just found the D-pad on it to be a bit frustrating to use, while the d-pad on the Hori one is much bigger and felt better for me.

I guess for me, maybe I have big thumbs, so it wasn't like terrible, and I could make do with the AV3 D-pad, but since getting the hori one, I haven't looked back.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:38:35 AM by Johnpv »

schweaty

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »
I think most people's issues with the ave 6 d-pad are where it's positioned on the controller.  It's low  so you have to strain your thumb horizontally which causes fatigue over time.