Author Topic: CD games on a Tubro Express  (Read 1413 times)

PCEngineTrev

CD games on a Tubro Express
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:44:51 PM »
With the release of the Super SD System, it got me wondering what the possibilities were for running the disc images of PCE/Turbo CD games on the greatest handheld of all time.

As we know on the regular home versions of the Turbo/PCE, the CD add-on connects through the rear expansion port. The TE lacks this port, so presumably some kind of mini-super SD system would need to emulate that in some way in order for CD images to interface correctly with the rest of the TE hardware? Or is the huey slot on the TE cable of interfacing with CD images anyways?

Theres also what size can a Turbo Express Super SD system be. Ideally it would need to be not much bigger than...say...a Turbo Everdrive. Can you squeeze all that tech onto something that small?

If it was possible.....just imagine....playing Rondo on the go on real hardware. It could well be impossible, but an interesting thought none the less....

gilbert

Re: CD games on a Tubro Express
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:14:01 AM »
I'm not sure but I think the HuCard slot might not have enough pins for it, otherwise people would manage to attach a CD unit to the Shuttle first (unless this was done already).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 02:29:44 AM »
I'm not sure but I think the HuCard slot might not have enough pins for it...

That's what I remember being told.  There's only 38 pins on a huey but 69 in the expansion bus.

I thought I remembered someone working on it anyway.  I was skeptical because of what I'd been told before about the lack of pins and I've not seen anything since (or can find it now), so maybe it was just wishful thinking or a practical joke.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

PCEngineTrev

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:14 AM »
The brick wall is the limitations of the HuCard slot. Does the lack of pins mean the kind of data the CD image would need to stream through there wouldn't ever work? I dont think its something that you can fix by emulating the CD interface with an FPGA as its a physical limitation of the slot itself.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
My understanding is that pin issue.  If you wanted a portable PC Engine CD playing thing you'd need to go full Ben Heck on the mess, make a new frame, drop a PC Engine GT into it, with a nicer modern screen given the effort, then cannibalize one of those TerraOnion devices into somehow a smaller form factor and mash all that into a newly made plastic comfortable handheld shell.

It would be a huge task with a huge expense, not really doable without just starting from scratch.  If you were going that far into it, one would probably figure it easier to make a FPGA device that is keyed to duplicate the guts of for all things TG a SuperGrafx on a micronized scale.  Add a lower power usage modern screen and speaker, plus a lithium ion battery to recharge it.  And then with the added capabilities of the Terra Onion SSS3 device, yet still retain both a HuCard and a SD/MicroSD card slot for your disc dumps.  But hey if you can do it, I'm sure there's a market for it.  I know if it wasn't like something over $300 shipped I'd buy it as I'm more into handhelds.

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
I've been playing CD games on the go for years with android devices. TE/LTs are neat at home, but things like save states are priceless when you  frequently have to stop or start up a game with random pockets of time.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

roflmao

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:07:18 AM »
Another way to play CD games on the go is to use a flashcart for the DS. I bought a cheapie $10 flashcart for my DS Lite and was surprised to find it came with a Turbografx emulator that played ISOs!

Gypsy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:13:28 AM »
Another way to play CD games on the go is to use a flashcart for the DS. I bought a cheapie $10 flashcart for my DS Lite and was surprised to find it came with a Turbografx emulator that played ISOs!

Oh shit, I need this in my life. How is CD game compatibility?

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:29 AM »
I'm definitely going to check that out. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

VmprHntrD

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
That reminds me of the awesome PCEAdvance for GBA by flubba/loopy back a good 10-15 years ago now easily.  I used to run that on the original run of the EZFlash4 and a F2A device before that.  It was fantastic as it ran almost all stuff at 100% speed with sound, a few did get the occasional dip maybe just 10% off.  It would take ISO files on that little handheld and run them in pure style.

I'd keep Dracula X, Ys Book 1+2, Gate of Thunder and a few others on there along with a nice supply of HuCards.  I never did get a DS/3DS era kit as they seemed so sketchy for long it put me off that stuff.  First needing a GBA card with the DS one, then you had Nintendo going firmware happy knocking them around in a push and shove match I just ignored it.

If there was a really cheap yet really stable DS/3DS card around that Nintendo can't firmware slap around at this rate I'd buy it and throw my little PCE collection on it with some discs too probably.

roflmao

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »

Oh shit, I need this in my life. How is CD game compatibility?

CDs run perfectly, but the  psg audio is a little wonky. Redbook audio plays perfectly, though. I normally have the volume turned down or off when I'm playing on it so it's not a deal-breaker.

geise

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:19:42 PM »
If you have a 3ds or n3ds check out Temper. Fantastic pce emulator originally by Exophase from the GP2X days. I use Mednafen and Magic Engine on my GPD win mostly if it's on the go.

VmprHntrD

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
What would be the best one to look at for a 3DS/N3DS based kit with the least amount of pain involved to get stuff running?  Not so much concerned with running 3DS games but Temper PCE and the classics from GBA that grew up (Pocket NES, GOomba, etc stuff) would be fantastic.

PCEngineTrev

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »
OK so it turns out someone is working on an HuCard form factor Everdrive-like device that can run the CDs. Not sure if its been mentioned here before:

Bloufo

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »
OK so it turns out someone is working on an HuCard form factor Everdrive-like device that can run the CDs. Not sure if its been mentioned here before:

I had seen this a while back.
I believe the guy from RetroRGB has also talked about it.