Author Topic: I think I may have just ruined my authentic turbografx experience.  (Read 1650 times)

Keith Courage

So, I recently got myself a nintendo wii, got a component cable, and loaded up wiimednafen with a few TG16 games.

OMG does it look good and the emulation is so dam accurate! I can't really tell the difference over the real thing. I am using the 240P mode on a SD CRT so yes it has scanlines. I even think the picture is slightly better than component out of a real system. The only downfall might be that I think it has a minimal amount of lag but that could just be my imagination and the controller I am using. This is the most accurate TG16 emulation running 240P for an SD CRT I've ever seen.

Because of this it brings up these questions.

Why own real hardware?
Why own real games?
Why bother with a Super SD system 3 when a wii can emulate the CD drive perfectly.

Just curious if anyone else has seen/used the Tg16 wii emulation and possibly thought the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:26:41 AM by Keith Courage »

Gypsy

Re: I think I may have just ruined my authentic turbografx experience.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »
I have but I still like having the original hardware and games around because I'm a derpus.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
The best and most important reason is because nobody will be impressed if you shoot your youtube videos in front of a Wii and SD card.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

crazydean

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
Because I won't play it on the Wii. There's just something about running emulation that I find unappealing. There are two main reasons.

The first is the time it takes to start a game after powering the Wii on, then sorting through menus with the f*cking wiimote. I hate that damn thing. It's just a stupid gimmick. Ugh.

The second is that I can't use a real PCE controller. Or, at least one that feels very similar. I think that the controller is one of the best thing about playing games on different systems. I wouldn't want to just use a Wii or GCN controller for every game.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Gypsy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
The best and most important reason is because nobody will be impressed if you shoot your youtube videos in front of a Wii and SD card.

REAL f*cking TALK right here.

The first is the time it takes to start a game after powering the Wii on, then sorting through menus with the f*cking wiimote. I hate that damn thing. It's just a stupid gimmick. Ugh.

I, too, hate the wii mote. Also really good point, I love that old systems the game just starts right away. It's part of the appeal when you just want to play something quick n dirty.

Punch

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
Why own real hardware?
Why own real games?
Why bother with a Super SD system 3 when a wii can emulate the CD drive perfectly.

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »

Haha!

I don't see myself getting rid of my games or hardware anytime soon. Its just with options like this it makes the idea more appealing.

I too agree with the annoyance of flipping through all the Wii menus. However the same could be said for having a super SD system 3 or ever drive.

I am also crazy impressed at how accurate the wiimednafen emulation is. I've tried many emulators for the tg16 but none of them were this much like the real deal.

GameCube controllers do suck. That's why I have an adapter to use a PS2 controller.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:30:57 AM by Keith Courage »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
I’ve done this and I agree, it’s way better looking than real hardware.

As to why it hasn’t affected my real collection one bit, mainly it’s because I like manuals and art and every other aspect of a video game as much as I like the code. Also, It takes genuine effort to get two good joysticks working at the same time, every time, which pisses me off. Also, as is the case with EVERY f*ckING EMULATOR the CDs take extra effort to get going and I’ve never figured it out.*

On a real system if the joystick is plugged in and nothing is physically broken...it works. ALWAYS. Same with CDs. There are no settings on a TG-16. There are so so so many in an emulator. Every time you turn it on you’re f*cking with something. Yeah I’ve played this f*cking thing 13 times, I don’t know why it forgot my button config that I’m pissed off about having to make in the first place because real hardware never needs it.

If I spent a few hours screaming at the internet about how it sucks now I could probably get CDs going but then when my Wii died I’d have to figure it out all over again, when even more of the info has expired and even more of the tutorial links are dead, and frankly I’d rather kill myself.

You have to understand. I’ve been doing this for decades. I sail the ship straight, I do not fall for fads.

* emu authors: do no ever make another TG emulator that doesn’t run CDs out of the box. It isn’t needed. Don’t make any more like that. Time to step up, we’re like 20 years into emulating this 30 year old system and still zero progress in this area whatsoever as far as I know. I’m a complete tard about these things so I could be wrong. I know about copyrights. Just don’t make a new program that’s ultimately going to send 100,000 otaku to forums trying to figure out how to play half the f*cking library. Again. Like the last 20 PCE emulators did.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:08:17 PM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
GameCube controllers do suck. That's why I have an adapter to use a PS2 controller.

How much are the Russians paying you to sow discord on the American internet? Too much, apparently, nobody will believe you’re real. You just created a dichotomy out of thin air that couldn’t possibly have any organic origin. This is just shit starting, here.

seieienbu

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

How much are the Russians paying you to sow discord on the American internet? Too much, apparently, nobody will believe you’re real. You just created a dichotomy out of thin air that couldn’t possibly have any organic origin. This is just shit starting, here.

Fake news.  GC controllers suck.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Keith Courage

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

What can I say. They hurt my left thumb. The d pad is just way too far into the center of the controller for me.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »
I see what you’re saying, but a PS2 pad is better? Please. Total Russian troll. There is no person on Earth who would ever feel that way about things. I’m not even sure it’s a real Russian, probably just a bot.

I use Hori GB Player Controller, Wii TvC stick, WiiMote, because they plug in (or not) out of the box and were cheap when I got them. (All have better direction control than a PS2 pad, although the config of Start and Select could be better on WiiMote.) Now I could probably get a Duo for that GBP pad.

seieienbu

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »
PSwhatever pads suck too.  I think I like them slightly more than say, GC or N64 pads but worse than maybe everything else.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »

What can I say. They hurt my left thumb. The d pad is just way too far into the center of the controller for me.

The Gamecube dpad is unusable but the controller is otherwise a masterwork. So I guess that does make it shit for emulating old games that you want to play with a dpad. But it's super great for actual Gamecube games.

Gypsy

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
PSwhatever pads suck too.  I think I like them slightly more than say, GC or N64 pads but worse than maybe everything else.

MMMM MMMMM AMENNNNNNN.