Author Topic: NES to PCE  (Read 6110 times)

Turboschmuck

NES to PCE
« on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:50 AM »
I know there was talk of this and some games successfully ported over to the PCE, but what ever came of it? Is there a list of games that were sucessfully done other that Rockman?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: NES to PCE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 12:41:23 AM »
I don't have a definitive list, but I know these were done:

Duck Tales 2
Robo Warrior
Super Mario Bros
Contra
Castlevania
Jackal
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:59:22 AM »
Are these official ports, or homebrew? Inquiring minds want to know....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:18:00 AM »
Homebrew.  I assume all of them were done by tom / bonknuts.

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
Homebrew.  I assume all of them were done by tom / bonknuts.

Interesting. I'd like to know more about Castlevania. Any info on that one? Thanks!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:02:38 AM »
It's the NES rom running on PCE.  There's not much else to know.

That's true of all of them for the most part.  I know Tom was improving Mega Man 2 (and maybe others) to have better colored sprites, stereo sound, etc.  It wasn't full blown updates like Mario Bros on SNES, though; just minor tweaks in a few spots, and I don't think he got very far with the updating.

nectarsis

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »

That's true of all of them for the most part.  I know Tom was improving Mega Man 2 (and maybe others) to have better colored sprites, stereo sound, etc.  It wasn't full blown updates like Mario Bros on SNES, though; just minor tweaks in a few spots, and I don't think he got very far with the updating.

IIRC Keranu (and Tom?) were doing similar to Dragon Warrior 1, sprite color upgrades, music. etc.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Turboschmuck

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
Regardless, I didn't think there were that many. Sounds like it was something pretty neat these guys worked on their free time. A shame borks like Tobias had to go ruin it by selling roms on repro cds.

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »

Still, it would be fantastic to see how the port came out, with the PCE's graphics and sound! Any links, or info on how to play it?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
It's a rom like any other.  Load it on a flashcart (or in an emulator) and play away.

Gredler

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »

Still, it would be fantastic to see how the port came out, with the PCE's graphics and sound! Any links, or info on how to play it?

Most of the graphics are a direct port from NES - there is no change to the sprites.

The sound is PCE because they are chip driven, but the same exact notes/octaves as the NES afaik

This does make me curious, how did he drive the sound? straight asm to asm?

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »

Most of the graphics are a direct port from NES - there is no change to the sprites.

The sound is PCE because they are chip driven, but the same exact notes/octaves as the NES afaik

This does make me curious, how did he drive the sound? straight asm to asm?

Yeah, I am curious about the sound. I'm gonna go ahead and search for a rom if there is one to be found.

Turboschmuck

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
Sounds like I better fire up the old everdrive and check these out at some point. I might do some recording of the video/audio once I get my new pc setup.

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
I can't find any working download links on the Interwebs. Oh well.

¯\(°_o)/¯

Gredler

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAPCOM-Mega-Man-Rockman-PC-Engine-Turbo-Grafx-Super-CD-Game-Factory-shield/283700946331?hash=item420de4e59b:g:Q4MAAOSwZb9d6Zkr

saw this today while browsing ebutt and it made me think no wonder homeboy stopped making these for free lol