Author Topic: turbo duo cd not spinning  (Read 1348 times)

drtdiver

turbo duo cd not spinning
« on: May 07, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »
i recently got a turbo duo with a dead cd drive. hu card games play perfect. when you press run to start a cd based game it goes busy for a few moments then says please set disk.  i opened it up to check everything out and was going to do a recap but was pleasantly surprised that the board was already recapped and clean.  so i started checking traces and continuity and i can't seem to find anything i did find that c164 had a missing pad and was soldered to an alternate spot on the board but seems to check out.  when pressing run the laser carriage moves to the stop and sits there then the system just says please set disk.  any insight on what to look for would be great. i can post pictures of the board if needed. 

Keith Courage

Re: turbo duo cd not spinning
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
Does the lens move slightly when you hit the run button? If not then this would be a more serious problem than just caps.

drtdiver

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
yes the lens moves a little

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:04:46 AM »
Okay, that's a good thing.

Without being able to see the board and the quality of the recap work done, I'd say it could be a bad lens.

However there could be bad traces for the caps. I'd test the traces for all the caps that sit below the CD drive to see if they have they are good.

Oh, and I just thought of something else. Check to see if the center spindle is the correct height. With the Black guard that sits over it, you should barely be able to see the metal portion of the circle part sticking over the top.  I've seen some get pushed down to where the CD won't spin from it being stuck up against the black guard that sits under it.

CD won't spin at all if the lens won't read/is bad.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:47:23 AM by Keith Courage »

drtdiver

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »
i have tried swapping out the laser and does the same thing.  I'm currently going through and making sure the traces are making contact.  the spindle sits just above the black cover so it looks good no obstructions there. I'm attaching a picture of a suspect cap and trace but from what i can tell it is making good contact with what's left of the trace.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:43:50 AM »
Man, someone did a number on those cap pads.

That capacitor should be fine. Looks like it's in the correct via hole.

Does the lens bob up and down after it moves to the center of the drive when hitting run?

drtdiver

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 07:26:57 AM »
Yes it bobs up and down. I’m also thinking the pots got messed with I see marker on them.

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
Sounds like there was a problem to begin with. With the lens bobbing up and down this should indicate that everything with the duo is working correctly, as far as the cap change is concerned anyways. Just need to either adjust the potentiometers or replace the lens to get it working again most likely.

I would try another lens to rule that out as the problem.

drtdiver

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »
yeah I'm leaning towards adjusting the pots now. when i got this unit i picked up 2 hop m3s just incase.  I've tried both of them now and still get the same thing lens bobs up and down then nothing.  time to do a little research on the pots.

drtdiver

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »
After swapping out lasers and still having the same issue I started to dig into pot adjustment. Something must be wrong with the pots or in the connection between the pot and end points because I can turn vr102 and nothing happens disk never starts spinning. Same with 104

Keith Courage

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 11:58:02 PM »
Weird, problem could even be a faulty chip on the board.

I'd suspect one of the larger BA chips.

You should try starting up the CD drive over and over again and feel if either one of the 2 BA chips(BA6290A)start to warm up. They are supposed to get hot when the system is working correctly. If they are cool to the touch then 1 could be bad. Very rare for both to go bad.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:59:43 PM by Keith Courage »

drtdiver

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
the chip on the bottom of the board stays cool while the chip on the top warms up.

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
There is a good chance that it's bad. Only way to know is by changing it out but I would do that as a last resort. Not sure how much time you have put into messing with the lens adjustments.

drtdiver

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 10:05:29 PM »
I’ve spent a bit of time trying. Can never get the disk to spin or read. Same results. I have some chips on order in the mean time I’m going to continue trying to get results before changing it.

drtdiver

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 12:40:59 AM »
got the new chip installed same outcome. disk still doesn't spin.