Author Topic: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)  (Read 1364 times)

esteban

Re: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
It has become common for folks to say that requiring the multi-tap was a means of milking money from consumers. However, I disagree. Rather, I think that NEC / Hudson wanted the core console to be as simple as possible. This kept costs very low. If PCE had a second port, it would most likely have a second controller included as well.
I don't think Hudson straight up said "Lets make one controller port so we can make more money by charging for a tap + extra controllers". What I think happened was that since their design of the PCE was so small, they decided to leave it like that and not mess with adding an extra controller port so it didn't screw up the size and design of the PCE and for the reason you mentioned, to keep the cost low. After they decided on this they figured "Hey, we may as well make a five player multitap so people don't think this is a console only designed for single players. We can make games that have a ton of players while making a few extra bucks on the side." That's just how I see it anyways.
Yeah, you're probably right :).
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 07:17:40 PM »
That single port was definitely to squeeze money out of the consumers. Adding another one is/was NOT expensive, and it does not take any space either - they could've easily fitted four ports in it, if they wanted to. It wouldn't cost them a dime, and they would definitely fit in the console.

The multi tap, on the other hand, was probably super overpriced, and a great way of getting lots of extra money.

Keranu

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
Well if Hudson was intending for it to be a money scam, I tip my hat for them because they pulled it off magnificently! :) The idea of designing the tap to use five pads was really radical for it's time seeing as most console games were only two players, so some gamers had to figure it sucks that there is only one port on the system, but at least their commercial multi-tap supports five players. So thanks Hudson for making the Turbo/Duo Tap; Battle Royale probably wouldn't exist without it  :mrgreen: .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kaminari

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 01:14:03 AM »
they could've easily fitted four ports in it, if they wanted to.

I take it you're talking about the TurboGrafx, which certainly has plenty of unused space. But of course you do realize that the US system was out almost two years after the Japanese one, and that there is no way the tight PC Engine could have offered four ports (let alone five) without looking like a bloated socket strip.

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »
I think Seldane was talking about the PCE, but I find it hard to believe to easily fit five four other ports onto the PCE.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 03:04:14 PM »
but one more time to come back on-topic. i just can't believe that NEC almost didn't anything concerned the PCE hardware-developement, since they where some of the pioneers for many electronic inventions just as CD-ROM used for data-storage, Plasma-screens for notebooks etc. which also was used in many add ons.
so even Hudson brought the idea and hardware recommendees for the design the engine, i still believe that NEC was the manufcturer of it, as well as the main-inventor for further adds just as CD-ROM, GT, LT, Duo Monitor etc.

2nd: i still don't think, many of the users recognized that Hudson was taking over a major part in the PCE development just because the HE-System. Hudson as a real brand was never shown on any of the PCE hardware units, on the contrary of the brand NEC. hudson only was well known as a software developer and inventor of the card-media (HuCrad, MSX bee-card).
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

GUTS

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 07:36:12 AM »
I think Seldane was talking about the PCE, but I find it hard to believe to easily fit five four other ports onto the PCE.

They could have easily fit 2 on there though, there's no excuse for only 1 port.

Keranu

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
They could have easily fit 2 on there though, there's no excuse for only 1 port.
Well I'd like to see you prove it first, Mr. PCE Technical Expert.  :mrgreen:

theoakwoody

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 02:29:37 AM »
Keranu,

You really think that the PC Engine was built stuffed to capacity with the guts of the system.  I've seen one cracked open and in my opinion they could have fit more controller ports.  I'm not saying there could have been 5 but definitely more than one. 

By the way, did you pick up a PS3 or Wii in your area and if so which store?  I went to four stores before finally figuring out that Toys R Us didn't presell their entire inventory.  Unfortunately, they ran out of Zelda so I had to head over to target.  Sorry to hijack the thread boys I just had to check on my fellow IL boy.

GUTS

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 08:22:40 AM »
Step one: Look at picture of an open PC Engine.
Step two: Note all the extra space where a second port could have gone.
Step three: Enlightenment.

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »
By the way, did you pick up a PS3 or Wii in your area and if so which store?  I went to four stores before finally figuring out that Toys R Us didn't presell their entire inventory.  Unfortunately, they ran out of Zelda so I had to head over to target.  Sorry to hijack the thread boys I just had to check on my fellow IL boy.
I went to a ghetto K-Mart in the trashy town of Steger to get my Wii. I got it by luck because they were all sold out when I got there, but this old lady gave me her ticket because she didn't want one afterall. God bless that lady :) .

Quote from: GUTS
Real professional  :dance: .

Black Tiger

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
The Megadrive and PC Engine could've both shipped with direct A/V stereo out and 4 controller ports each. The PC Engine could've also been designed to play HuCarts instead of HuCards and shipped with a 16 button pad(at least we got Turbo switches).

But how many 2 player PCE games were there even at launch?

Back then, companies really did selectively pick and choose what to take out and what to put in to keep costs down(it never made consistant sense).

You could say that an extra controller port could've been added to the CoreGrafx's or Duo's, but by that point, it was already a success as-is and I doubt that there was mass hysteria over Tap shortages, just like how there weren't riots in the streets over Saturn & N64 ram carts.

And after the first Duo, they actually started removing features, 'cause the average schmuck just doesn't give a damn.

You could also argue that Hudson could've packed in a robot Bomberman to play the potential second pad against you and that they had a working running mat prototype and secretly sold their killer apt 'The Activator' to Sega USA since the TG-16 was tanking.

But I don't think they did any of those things will the sole intention of ripping people off. How much did they even make off of each Tap? Like $2?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »
Two controller ports was standard back then though, it wasn't like they were blazing new trails, they were just being cheap.  Was the PCE super cheap or something when it came out in Japan?  I mean if they were charging a super low price that would explain why they would leave it off to cut costs, but if the system was expensive then there's no excuse.

Tatsujin

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »
according watarus former page the release price was 24800yen for the core.

http://www6.airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pce/pce_mech.htm
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »
Step four omg it's full of stars!?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec