Author Topic: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)  (Read 1369 times)

Tatsujin

[?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:12:23 PM »
how's the relation between the PC Engine and the NEC PC-88/98 computers in point of hardware issues? do they have some familiar parts or are they really different kind of systems? may the PC-98 have some resemblances in the hardware architecuters as i believe. in matter of fact, that the PC Engine originally was a showpiece only, to exhibit the power of NEC grafic custom-chipsets, i'd think that NEC also was using those HuC2xx chips in other hardware after or before the release of the PCE.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:39:04 AM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

Re: [?]PC Engine related hardware
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:15:59 PM »
Good question. I have no clue about PC-88/98's hardware, but it would be interesting to find out the similarities it shares with the PCE. Also, I didn't know PCE was originally a showpiece item, that's very interesting!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
The PC 89/98 are PC systems that intel code compatible CPUs - probably the NEC V20(8088),V30,V40, etc. It had a custom video card and sound card. It doesn't share anything in common with the PC Engine. The PC 89/98 is more like Tandys PC line - a PC clone with small differences.

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
Also, I didn't know PCE was originally a showpiece item, that's very interesting!

once a long time ago i read a very early report about the development of the pc engine. in advance NEC didn't plan to release an own video game system, they only liked to show the ability and power of their own grafic custom-chips, so they decided to create a kind of prototype or breadboard construction with those chipsets only for demo purposes at exibitions etc. i also read in this report, that already a demo of r-type was existing as well as running on that proto, because it was by far the top-notch videogame in grafical aspects at that time in the arcades, and also well known by everbody. since the media and presse was completely thrilled out by its capability, they started to think about a possible success of an own video game.
in matter of fact, NEC viewed as a very very big electronic concern never was taking much attention about the developement of the PC Engine since it was a niche-product only for them.
the developement of all those infinite PCE gadgets anyway just served for some market-feasibility studies of their own technical inventions, also used in consumer and industrial itmes (notebooks, PCs, graphics card, screens etc).

i don't know if all this is true, but considering to the bigness of NEC as a whole concern absolutely possible.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, that was a great read.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »
but no guarantee for its correctness O:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »
True, but it's interesting; correct or not :) .

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:43:20 PM »
Remember that PC-8801 and PC-9801 are different computers - they are not compatible with each other. There are hybrid models with a switch to choose either PC-8801 or PC-9801 modes, but that's it. PC-8801 software won't run on a PC-9801 and vice versa.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »
indeed it is :)

very interessting would be a interview with some of the main developer and planer of the system who were in charge at that time. does someone know any names of important peole involved in the "Project Engine" at NEC?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:51:41 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Tatsujin

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:50:55 PM »
It had a custom video card and sound card. It doesn't share anything in common with the PC Engine.
could it be, that exactly this custom video card could have some similarities to the HuC6270? or is it absolutely impossible?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
The PC Engine was more or less designed by Hudson. That's why those chips are labeled Huxx. As I understand it they first went to Nintendo to have it build, but they weren't interested. This is according to the book Game Over. NEC only entered the console biz because of Hudson. You can see how well they did without them afterwards (not well at all)

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »
yes..you're right. but the chipset and everything related was made and manufactured by NEC, yes? anyway, hudson had its name in the gamebiz, which NEC didn't have (beside of gaming on their PC88/98 systems). so NEC had to find a good and well known reference partner to bring the system on the market and which also will be able to support the system with a lot of unique inhouse products/softs. that was Hudson. but of course, hudson had a voice to design the hardware in a way you will get a powerfull as well as fun bringing gamesystem (but why in the hell they never decided to spend it a 2nd joy-port :lol:)

but i don't know on which time exactly NEC met Hudson to arrange their joint venture, since NEC wasn't a game-software developer at that time. would be also interessting to know.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 03:23:03 AM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Bonknuts

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 12:42:03 AM »
Hudson holds the patents for the Huc6260, HuC62780, and HuC 6280. NEC is not mentioned anywere on the patents. As far as I know, none of the PC 89/98 systems used a variant of the HuC6270.

FM-77

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 04:13:39 AM »
Hudson holds the patents for the Huc6260, HuC62780, and HuC 6280. NEC is not mentioned anywere on the patents. As far as I know, none of the PC 89/98 systems used a variant of the HuC6270.

That's right, and as far as I know, Hudson didn't do anything for either the PC-8801 or the PC-9801. No hardware, no software.

Kaminari

Re: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 04:44:08 AM »

how's the relation between the PC Engine and the NEC PC-88/98 computers in point of hardware issues?

There is no relation. Hudson was already designing electronic devices since the early '70s before joining efforts with NEC in 1987. The PC Engine is entirely designed by Hudson with Hudson components (derived from MOS Tech designs). It's certainly not a NEC showcase since the PC-98's graphic chipset you're talking about (uPD7220) was designed by NEC and is not related to Hudson's HuC6270. The PC Engine was just a good opportunity for NEC HE to set foot in the consumer gaming market, and Hudson provided the blueprints.

Seldane, Hudson was very much involved in the PC-88 library. They released more than 80 titles between 1982 and 1987, before they start developing games for their own system (this long-time partnership certainly helped them in selling their console to NEC).