Author Topic: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)  (Read 1366 times)

Bonknuts

Re: [?]PC Engine related hardware (and the origin of it)
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
according watarus former page the release price was 24800yen for the core.

http://www6.airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pce/pce_mech.htm

Holy crap! $550+ for the Duo when it came out? I'm glad the US console was only $299.

Tatsujin

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »
yes..therefore a lot of US T-Duos where sold in europa as import goods.

btw. found a good chapter about the development of the engine on watarus site. they also discussing about the growup of the US TG etc. briefly, they say that the PCE was made of longterm proven PC-parts and therefore the size could be minimized to its max at that time. in japan they liked the small design of the white core, but for oversea sale it might look like a childs toy, so they pumbed it up. since they had more space available, they also changed the mini-DIN plug to the normal DIN, for robust reasons.

will translate the important parts later :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Bonknuts

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »
The US TG-16 also has a place for an onboard rom(small size though). A kiosk version with a paint program was known to use it, but they could have put a small game on there so when you turn on the system without a rom (turbochip), it would load from that internal rom instead(built in game). I wonder if any of the prototype US units uses this rom.

Keranu

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »
The US TG-16 also has a place for an onboard rom(small size though). A kiosk version with a paint program was known to use it, but they could have put a small game on there so when you turn on the system without a rom (turbochip), it would load from that internal rom instead(built in game). I wonder if any of the prototype US units uses this rom.
Very interesting, I had heard nothing about this before.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »
according watarus former page the release price was 24800yen for the core.

http://www6.airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pce/pce_mech.htm

Holy crap! $550+ for the Duo when it came out? I'm glad the US console was only $299.

I believe that it was $550 Canadian when it debuted here. It was worth every penny though, particularly with the ton of quality software it came with.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Odonadon

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 05:08:59 AM »
I believe that it was $550 Canadian when it debuted here. It was worth every penny though, particularly with the ton of quality software it came with.

I paid $400 for mine, but remember how low the dollar was back "then".

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

GUTS

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 06:09:39 AM »
$300 was a ton of money back then, It took me forever just to afford the $200 Sega CD back when the price dropped on those.

esteban

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 08:26:07 AM »
$300 was a ton of money back then, It took me forever just to afford the $200 Sega CD back when the price dropped on those.
Yeah, my brothers and I paid ~$300-350 for TG-CD and it was a friggin' ton of money. I think it was all of our birthday + xmas + raking leaves / shoveling snow for neighbors money combined.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 10:41:08 AM »

I paid $400 for mine, but remember how low the dollar was back "then".

OD

I think that the Turbo Express was also around $500 at Radio Shack and bumped up to $550+ after tax. But I got mine like within weeks after RS brought it in.

Around the same time, Nintendo sent me a 'letter' telling me about how the Canadian pricing for their system was cheaper than in the U.S., because Nintendo cared enough about us less fortunates.

I received junk mail from Nintendo for years after my early Nintendo Power subscription ran out. Including the DKC video.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:42:51 AM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum