Author Topic: Region/RGB parts supply advice  (Read 819 times)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Region/RGB parts supply advice
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »
   I've been doing some piece work for Lost Ark (local VG store) and recently a customer came in with a US Duo that wants "everything" done it it. I have no prob with replacing the caps, but a quick google search seems to reveal the RGB/Region mods are out of stock at my go-to sites. Ebay seems to have the doujindance kits and they look pretty clean and easy to install, but shipping cost might be a factor. I think the customer has no issue waiting for Mickris, game-tech or Voltars offering to come back in stock, but figured I'd ask around here for folks thoughts.

Is any solution preferred by the obey community? Does any install simpler/easier than the others? I've never done a region/RGB to a Duo, but I've done enough other console work that I feel comfortable with the task.

Because I'm third wheel on the job, I'm still waiting for more details from customer to confirm they want RGB and not component. I also have a Kisado that I do not need, and could just sell them that instead of region modding.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Keith Courage

Re: Region/RGB parts supply advice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 03:15:21 AM »
Here is the region mod I've been using. If you want the chip/board I have them.

Chip is CBT3383. Has better compatibility with Everdrives compared to the older 4551 chip mod. The capacitor shown in the pic is not needed.
https://pcengine.proboards.com/thread/1045/region-switch-original-white-engine. There are easier ones to install than this one but this one costs less.

This is the RGB amp I've been using which I have as well. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zHOrdVExzl0/Utswo9vaJDI/AAAAAAAADa4/eKMS08cQ9nE/s912/photo.JPG
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:20:40 PM by Keith Courage »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Region/RGB parts supply advice
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the info! I'll keep you in mind when I get to work on the mods.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"