Author Topic: PC Engine GT - Controller Board  (Read 7496 times)

pipi

Re: PC Engine GT - Controller Board (updated with external controller mod)
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »
This is lovely work!

Allow me to ask a quesiton that can help me in troubleshooting my dead speaker...
Which are the speakers connections here?

I guess it is a mixdown of left and right because we have a mono speaker...
Which pin is + and which ping is -?

I think 12 should be - because I see continuity with ground
11 should be + but what is its route?

Thanks!

tawy

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2022, 03:15:26 AM »
speakers on every handheld are not ground connected and there is no polarity, you can connected it to either side
it's pin 11 and 12 (the leftmost ones).
good luck.

pipi

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »
Ok my mind is now blown :O

Do you happen to know which is the pinout for the 3.5mm speaker on the PCE GT?
I tried both an aliexpress 3.5mm female plug and a game gear one (with different pin numbers, strange) but both give me great earbud audio and zero speaker sound :/

tawy

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2022, 05:08:17 AM »
the game gear jack connector is the good one. you have to check the 3 pins on the end of the connector and follow the traces :

when jack not connected, the middle pin is shorted to a pin and sound goes to the speaker
when jack IS connected, the middle pin is shorted to the other pin and sound goes to the jack earphone.

it works as a switch.

pipi

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2022, 06:06:03 AM »
the game gear jack connector is the good one. you have to check the 3 pins on the end of the connector and follow the traces :

when jack not connected, the middle pin is shorted to a pin and sound goes to the speaker
when jack IS connected, the middle pin is shorted to the other pin and sound goes to the jack earphone.

it works as a switch.

I fixed it!
It was the damned flat connector from controller to mainboard :D

Thanks for your help.
Can I ask your opinion on this, if you have time?
Your controller board knowledge can surely shed a light!
https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=23766.0

pentarou

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »
Awesome, keep up the good work, dude.

saetekm

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »
Hey Tawy,

Sent you a PM.  Hopefully these are still available.

tawy

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2023, 03:01:17 AM »
Hello, new version available.
I had these since a long time now but i've just tested with real components and they working just as expected, i can sell them knowing they will fulfill their purpose.

Blank 1:1 clone : 10€
Not totally blank when shipped, I put the 47u electrolytic cap, a FFC cable and connector on the package, you have to populate the PCB by yourself
I tried to respect the design of the original board, the components are better aligned and the back of the board have a RGB HVsync breakout. If you want the ffc connectors+cables to plug the video signal connector from the motherboard, add 2€.
You need to remove the components from your old broken controller board and implant it on this new board.
Hot air desoldering skill needed (for the main chip).

The second picture shows you how it will look like if do you it right (jack and speaker connectors are missing, but it works without it.

MuNaught

• Sic itur ad astra
    • Kytor Industries
Re: PC Engine GT - Controller Board
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2023, 08:26:38 AM »
Nice work. I like how you offer both a modern and replica replacements.
Sic itur ad astra

blazingtaserface

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2023, 07:02:45 PM »
Hello, do you still offer the controller board with the external controller port? Thanks.

tawy

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2023, 08:36:43 AM »
Hello, PM answered.

I did not test every function of the external controller port but I can tell you by having feedback from differents customer that is :
- ok with a classic 2 buttons pad (tested myself)
- ok with a 6 buttons pad with strange behavior when street fighter is on a everdrive (i dont have a 6 buttons controller to test)
- ok with a multitap, if you are crazy, you can play bomberman on a 2.4" screen with 5 friends :D (tested with 2x 2buttons controllers only).
- ok with blueretro and a bluetooth controller on 6 buttons mode, and blueretro allows you to play with 5 controller connected to a single unit.

The hardware of the PC Engine GT is the same as the Core.
The controller board I made have the same components as a classic 2 buttons controller, the same schematics is used.
4 diodes are here to bypass conflict between the board and the external controller connector.

I think external controller mod could be useful coupled with a external A/V mod. The screen is small, ok to play alone, but 2 dudes on the same 3.5 screen could be difficult.

pentarou

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »
Hello, PM answered.

I did not test every function of the external controller port but I can tell you by having feedback from differents customer that is :
- ok with a classic 2 buttons pad (tested myself)
- ok with a 6 buttons pad with strange behavior when street fighter is on a everdrive (i dont have a 6 buttons controller to test)
- ok with a multitap, if you are crazy, you can play bomberman on a 2.4" screen with 5 friends :D (tested with 2x 2buttons controllers only).
- ok with blueretro and a bluetooth controller on 6 buttons mode, and blueretro allows you to play with 5 controller connected to a single unit.

The hardware of the PC Engine GT is the same as the Core.
The controller board I made have the same components as a classic 2 buttons controller, the same schematics is used.
4 diodes are here to bypass conflict between the board and the external controller connector.

I think external controller mod could be useful coupled with a external A/V mod. The screen is small, ok to play alone, but 2 dudes on the same 3.5 screen could be difficult.

Cool, do you mean the external A/V mod can be append to your plug and play board? Any tutorial for that? I want to order 2 boards

kazin

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
Sent you a PM, tawy. Hopefully you still make/sell these! I've got a Turbo Everdrive Pro and I'm *this close* to playing Rondo portably... but my 1 button doesn't work on my freshly recapped PC Engine GT. Crossing my fingers...!

tawy

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2023, 04:48:03 AM »
...I'm *this close* to playing Rondo portably...
Like this maybe ?  :P

kazin

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2023, 01:24:39 PM »
PCB came today and works flawlessly, and yes - I have played some Rondo of Blood portably haha. Thank you so much @tawy!