Author Topic: Turbo DUO static in audio  (Read 1616 times)

guitarmas

Turbo DUO static in audio
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »
I recently aquired a used Turbo-DUO system but I'm having a little bit of trouble with it.  For some reason the system is picking up a lot of static in the audio and it's really getting annoying.  I've tried connecting a set of headphones to the audio jack to see if that would make a difference and no luck there, the static is still the same.  I've even tried taking an old credit card with a t-shirt wrapped around it and dipped in rubbing alcohol and still no luck.  Is this systems audio doomed to static?

BTW- T2kfreeker, thanks for the site link bro.

vestcoat

Re: Turbo DUO static in audio
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »
I would guess that you have one of the replacement AV cables for your Duo.  They don't fit as snug as the originals and often cause static if they're not adjusted just right.
Unplug the AV cable and listen to some music through just the headphones, if the static is still there then you're probably in for some expensive problems.
You could also try a CD lens cleaner, but those never do much.
Good luck.

termis

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:23:49 PM »
Sounds like some of the usual duo sound problems.  Try

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=960.msg6834#msg6834

Though I never done this fix myself, it sounds like a rather easy fix if you've ever soldered things before... 

guitarmas

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:12:52 AM »
Thanks, I'll definitely try this out. 

Anyone know where I can get those special screwdriver tips?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:22:30 AM »
Oh man I was a victim of that too, but I'm gonna tell my end of that story anyway. I have a Duo-R now, but I used to have a Japanese black Duo.

If it wasn't the AV jacks there is that manufacturing flaw that NEC did that's the cause of this problem. On black Duo systems, the A/V plug is located right next to the power supply. Not good. After several hours of play, the A/V jack catches heat and that's what causes the static crackling and eventually....POOF! No sound.

I know it may be too late to say this, but that's why the Japanese white Duo-R/RX is the best (which can't play USA cards w/o a mod or converter), the A/V jack and power supply were relocated far away from each other.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:34:00 AM by Ninja Spirit »

termis

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:12:39 AM »
Thanks, I'll definitely try this out. 

Anyone know where I can get those special screwdriver tips?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=4.5mm+game+bit

I believe it's the 4.5mm tip, and not the 3.8mm tip.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you might as well get 'em both.  I bought them from this guy below recently for cheaper, but he doesn't have any listed up right now, nor have I received it yet, so I can't vouch for it just yet.  You might want to contact him and see if he has any more for sale if you want the cheaper price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110059505146&rd=1&rd=1

guitarmas

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
Thats ok, I made a tool with a flat head screw drivers and used a dremel to cut a notch in the end.  Works like a charm!   8)

guitarmas

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
Ok I replaced the 2 caps that were mentioned and the static is gone...(for the most part).  I'm thinking about replacing the other 3.   8)

termis

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 08:18:20 AM »
Saved another duo from eventually hitting the dumpster in some corner of the world.  Good on you.

guitarmas

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 08:35:52 AM »
 :D

Ok I replaced the two that are in red with a 10 uF 35.  Now the one in yellow I need some help on.  I went to radio shack to find one that matched it, but I didn't have any luck.  Here's what's on the cap:

v2 (there's a line over the v)
16v

If anyone knows what replacement cap would be suitable, please post it. 

There's still some static by the way, but it's just not as bad.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:41:17 AM by guitarmas »

T2KFreeker

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 10:29:17 AM »
I told you that these guys know what they are talking about boss! Did you get the CD audio back now as well? I hope so as I see that you have been busy! :mrgreen:
END OF LINE.

guitarmas

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 11:45:32 AM »
They most certainly do!  This site is awesome.

No CD audio yet.  I'm still trying to find out what kind of capacitor that one is.  Hopfully that will do the trick.

I'll go through, if I have to, and replace every friggin one on that motherboard(minus the CD lense) to get to get it to work.   :wink:

T2KFreeker

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 02:15:28 PM »
I still do not understand as it all worked fine when it left here. I think that those bastards at the post office killed it somehow. I am still going to raise Hell on the way that they shipped that box. Still makes me mad!
END OF LINE.

termis

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
Though I can't help out with any suggestions for the replacement, capacitor, I wish you luck.  Let us all know how it went...

esteban

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 05:22:37 AM »
I'm still trying to find out what kind of capacitor that one is. 
Go to the GameSX forums and ask nicely. Be sure to search the old threads and see if it was answered already.
  |    |