Author Topic: Game of the Month: February 2023 - Private Eye Dol  (Read 496 times)

geise

Game of the Month: February 2023 - Private Eye Dol
« on: February 04, 2023, 09:30:19 PM »
Private eye dol

I don't know much about this digital novel. I've had it for a while but never got around to playing through it. Well it's english translated now so grab the iso with a duckduckgo search and play it. I might actually emulate it this month. Just to make it easy. I don't know much about the story so here it is from games db.

Some day in the near future, the crew of an "idol" (a popular culture star) takes a ride on the bus through the countryside. One of the female crew members unexpectedly faints and is taken by her friends into an abandoned mansion discovered nearby. Very soon, however, the accident begins to repeat itself, and evidence of a gruesome murder and possible ghostly presence in the mansion surfaces. Mei Star, an investigator with the team, and her computerized holographic assistant Navi must solve the mystery before it becomes too late. Private eye dol is an adventure game played for the most part from a top-down perspective. The player navigates Mei around the playable environment, examines places and items of interest, and talks to other characters. With a few exceptions, there are no puzzles in the game, and the plot is advanced by triggering events. On several occasions items must be picked up, but they are used automatically in correspondent locations.

Hope some will try this out this month. It's a short month and I'm late as usual, but give it a go. It seems worth a play through. I might play this on the miyoo mini or my ps vita.

JPEngine

Re: Game of the Month: February 2023 - Private Eye Dol
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
I can’t vouch for the English fan translation, but I recently finished this game in Japanese. While the story isn’t terribly riveting or original, it’s a fun romp and very worth playing! It looks and plays extremely well!

I won’t say any more for now so as not to spoil anything, but I look forward to hearing everyone else’s impressions! Hope the translation is good ^_^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 07:57:00 PM »
Nice choice for GotM.  I'll enjoy replaying this lovely looking game and getting a better understanding of what's going on with the translation patch.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 12:30:09 PM »
Very topical pick this month with the recent fan translation. I would prolly have never even bothered with this title, but the geise compels me! I'll give it a shot and see how much saccharine Japanese "cute" girl voices I can stand (or I'll just use the advanced _mute_ function on my TV)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

roflmao

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:53 PM »
Excellent choice. I just added it to the RetroPie so I'll try to play through it this month!

geise

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 08:04:31 PM »
Excellent choice. I just added it to the RetroPie so I'll try to play through it this month!

Nice man! I was thinking of adding it to my pi400, but I'm just playing it on the miyoo mini v2.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 12:56:50 PM »
I'm having a good time with this months pick. I normally don't go for "digital comics" but Eye Dol mixes up the formula enough to keep me playing. Color me impressed.

As for my format, I just using Batocera on an old laptop connected to my crt TV.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 02:24:40 AM »
I finally started playing tonight and made it through the first chapter.  Woot!   :thumbsup:

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 10:45:50 AM »
Took three play sessions, but I got a clear for once! It is a digital comic and unlimited continues, so that's not such a hard feat. It was good ride and I'm glad it was fan translated so I could play it with an understanding of the story.

I did get stuck on the "Beast" section, but an old video from our boy, SuperDeadite, got me through the one puzzle there.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 01:19:12 AM »
I finished this gem up tonight.  Don't forget to check out the omake stuff after you beat it; Rolfee awaits!

Now I need to dust off the PC-FX to boot up Anime Freak and catch the anime.   :pcgs:

geise

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 10:07:18 AM »
Beat this a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed this game. It was a nice change of pace to what I've been playing. The graphics and music are really damn good in this game. This also has to be one of the most well done translation projects (besides cabbages of course) to come out in a while. I hope they work on more games. One thing I will say is the last part of the game to me was a tad anticlimactic. Overall it was a great experience. Like Necro said hang out at the end of the credits. Now to do another late entry to GotM.