Author Topic: PC Engine Mini Hori Pad: Turbo Autofire Rate slower?  (Read 329 times)

IndyCotton

PC Engine Mini Hori Pad: Turbo Autofire Rate slower?
« on: April 27, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »
Been ruminating a while on buying Hori's PC Engine Mini-controller (HTG-003), mainly for MiSTer FPGA's TGX16-core and perhaps beyond. However, I read from certain Japanese Amazon.com reviews and this post from Atari-forums that the auto-fire rate of that controller's slightly slower (10 per second) compared to the original controller hardware of TGX16 (15 per second). Is this particularly noticeable when comparing both controllers?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:59:13 PM by IndyCotton »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: PC Engine Mini Hori Pad: Turbo Autofire Rate slower?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 09:41:51 AM »
Doesn't the MiSTer core/emu already offer auto-fire from the config? Retroarch has a function to set a button to auto-fire on/off but that would not help you when using a PCE/TG mini pad since no extra buttons are present. (I guess that's why you asked)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

IndyCotton

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 10:15:54 PM »
Doesn't the MiSTer core/emu already offer auto-fire from the config? Retroarch has a function to set a button to auto-fire on/off but that would not help you when using a PCE/TG mini pad since no extra buttons are present. (I guess that's why you asked)

While MiSTer has the autofire, it's not exactly accurate to the original hardware of TGX-16 - in fact it tends to even drop frames during autofire, making it inconsistent. MyLifeInGaming's video on MiSTer FPGA's TGX16-core documents this on here.. Probably being a perfectionist purist here, but I've been curious of the Turbo Pad to join next to my other gamepads closing as much to the original controllers as possible.  :lol:

Retroarch's Beetle PCE looks to be pretty accurate but I've moved away from using RetroArch a long time ago due being kind of cumbersome to use with having to adjust input latency options among other things more than actually sitting down to play the games. I might explore the controller there though.

But yeah, mainly just wanting to get this controller for not only TGX-16-games but possibly try other systems with 2-button configurations like NES and Sega Master System on both MiSTer and Retroarch.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 09:35:45 AM »
.... Probably being a perfectionist purist here, but I've been curious of the Turbo Pad to join next to my other gamepads closing as much to the original controllers as possible.  :lol:
Yeah, I'm not too much of a purist as I play with a 360 pad for EMU, but I feel ya. Are there any PCE->USB convertors still out there or do they add extra lag?

PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"