Author Topic: Wii games look like "ass" on HDTV's myth  (Read 1078 times)

Black Tiger

Wii games look like "ass" on HDTV's myth
« on: December 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
Anyone who says that the Wii looks awful on HDTV's is an idiot who probably only hooked their system up using composite.

Just as 480p Xbox games look great on HD and 'regular' progressive scan TV's and Dreamcast games look amazing via VGA, the Wii looks fine.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

Re: Wii games look like "ass" on HDTV's myth
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:43:45 PM »
Wii games look like "ass" on any tv. :wink:

grahf

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:28:35 AM »
I was happy with Gamecube 480p on my 50" hdtv. Metroid Prime for example looks fantastic. Zelda TP looks excellent too, but you can tell its a gamecube game. Not that thats a bad thing, since the gameplay is solid.

GUTS

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:21:05 AM »
Twilight Princess has some pretty mediocre graphics, especially the animations.  Link walks like a damn robot.

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »
I was happy with Gamecube 480p on my 50" hdtv. Metroid Prime for example looks fantastic. Zelda TP looks excellent too, but you can tell its a gamecube game. Not that thats a bad thing, since the gameplay is solid.

A Gamecube game indeed, but it is the best-looking game on the system. :D

I totally like the animations in that game. ESPECIALLY Link's animation. I don't know what you're talking about!

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
Some spots in Twilight Princess look absolutely stunning while others aren't so special. Still to me it looks as good as any 360 or PS3 game really.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 05:25:47 PM »
Then you haven't seen any 360 or PS3 games other than Ridge Racer.  Zelda looks ok for a Gamecube game (including the Wii version since both look the same) but it's not even in the same galaxy as something like Gears of War or Resistance. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »
Twilight Princess has some pretty mediocre graphics, especially the animations.  Link walks like a damn robot.

Link's 'running' animation is just awful, especially considering how nice pretty much the rest of the animation in the game is. It's basically his low key walk cycle, only faster.

This was okay in 2D 16-bit RPG's like Phantasy Star, but sticks out like a sore thumb in a top tier game like TP.

The graphics aren't pushing anything revolutionary by Gamecube standards technically. But the most important part of any visuals is the actual artwork. And TP looks beautiful overall, with only some generically shaped levels/environments.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:43:37 AM »
Then you haven't seen any 360 or PS3 games other than Ridge Racer.  Zelda looks ok for a Gamecube game (including the Wii version since both look the same) but it's not even in the same galaxy as something like Gears of War or Resistance. 
I've seen various 360 and PS3 games and I can honestly say that this generation has the weakest leap in terms of graphics. Odonadon (however you spell his name :D ) made a good point on his message boards saying that graphics haven't really improved much since the Dreamcast came out. I can admit that 360 and PS3 games do look a little sharper than the previous generation, but it's hardly a jump at all and certainly not worth $400-600 for.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
I've seen various 360 and PS3 games and I can honestly say that this generation has the weakest leap in terms of graphics. Odonadon (however you spell his name :D ) made a good point on his message boards saying that graphics haven't really improved much since the Dreamcast came out. I can admit that 360 and PS3 games do look a little sharper than the previous generation, but it's hardly a jump at all and certainly not worth $400-600 for.

Although I agree that the jump to 360/PS3 isn't as big as from 16-bit to 32-bit, I think that it's no more weak a leap than from 8-bit to 16-bit.

And I'm talking about the real next gen'ers like Gears Of War, not the pile of shovelware(don't judge the 360 by that stuff Keranu) that's a result of the next gen starting with a single system. It's exactly what happened with the Dreamcast. Except there were at least enough next gen'ish enough titles early on in it's lifespan.

I do however, believe that the 360 is already worth it now(if you can afford it) and that the PS3 will be as well eventually(maybe in a year?).

Maybe the next wave (I can't call them generations anymore) will be the major step we're due.

At least we got a nifty weird controller with the Wii.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 09:04:26 AM by Black_Tiger »

GUTS

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »
Holy hell man, have you PLAYED a Dreamcast game lately?  I love the Dreamcast, but to say the 360 isn't any kind of gigantic leap is pure madness.  It's like the difference between NES graphics and 2D graphics on the Saturn.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »
Holy hell man, have you PLAYED a Dreamcast game lately?  I love the Dreamcast, but to say the 360 isn't any kind of gigantic leap is pure madness.  It's like the difference between NES graphics and 2D graphics on the Saturn.

I think it's more like the difference between NES and SNES or 16-bit and Saturn.

Take a Dreamcast game like Ferrari blankety blank and compare it to Ridge Racer 360. It's more like Rad Racer versus... did they even have any non F-Zero racers for SNES?

Anyways, it's not like SMB3 versus Keio Saturn.

Even if you take like Quake 3 DC versus Quake 4 360(or even Gears Of War), it's not like X-Men NES versus X-Men VS Street Fighter.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 01:01:07 PM by Black_Tiger »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
Quote from: Black_Tiger

did they even have any non F-Zero racers for SNES?

Yes, of course they did.  They had that one game....  ummmm....  yeah.  Oh yeah it was called "Top Gear" and it set the world on fire with its awesomeness.

guyjin

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »
did they even have any non F-Zero racers for SNES?

yeah, but nothing special.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/list_driving.html

I take that back. How could I forget Mario Kart?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:21:15 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

GUTS

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »
3D graphics really have to be seen in motion to be fully appreciated since 90% of what makes them look good is frame rate and texture detail which doesn't show up well (or at all for framerate) in screen shots.  The quake IV screen shot for one doesn't even begin to show the texture detail, lighting, and all the other effects that are going on that make it leagues beyond the Dreamcast Quake III.

I'll agree though that my nes/saturn comparison was off, the snes/Saturn comparison you made is on the mark.